Author Topic: NMLRA schuetzen rules?  (Read 4635 times)

Offline LH

NMLRA schuetzen rules?
« on: July 28, 2013, 06:27:02 PM »
Are grease groove and or paper patched bullets  allowed in the schuetzen match at Friendship? I cant find anything that addresses that in the rules.  I think they are allowed since they shoot an offhand 200yd target,  but does anyone here know?  Also,  I assume the guns must be muzzleloaders,  but are black powder cartridge guns allowed in those matches?   

Offline Kermit

Re: NMLRA schuetzen rules?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 06:47:17 PM »
You're sort of tiptoeing along the interface between "traditional" muzzleloading and the traditional single shot guys when you ask about muzzleloading schuetzen. There are a few here that cross that membrane with impunity.  ;D

Too bad the Wyoming Schietzen Union's site died and is yet to be resurected. You might pose this query on the ASSRA forum too.

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:19:56 PM »
Anything that was used in Schuetzen matches back in "The Day" be it paper patched or grease grooves
is OK. I prefer GG bullets but then whatever your "Scheibenbuchse"likes will do.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
My apologies for not finishing the answer. No,a cartridge rifle may not compete in a muzzle loading event
at Friendship but in years past,I have shot a 40-85 rolling block AFTER all the ML matches were concluded.
There are matches for BP cartridge rifles at certain times on the Friendship Range and Muzzle Blasts should have
them listed.

Bob Roller

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:53:15 PM »

Offline LH

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:29:47 AM »
Thanks Bob,   I'll drop by the line this fall and snoop around.  Looks like a fun game.  I was just trying to figure out if I have a gun I could use in it, but the only fast twist muzzleloaders I own all have (telescope sights......Shhhhhhhhhh)   :-X    So I'll keep my eyes peeled for something legal.   ;)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:37:56 AM »
LH, don t leave that scoped ML at home as if I'm not mistaken there are other matches that you can shoot it in. I dont own one myself (scoped ML) and dont ever plan on owning one except maybe for those matches that you can shoot them in.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 02:37:40 AM »
 :-\ Should read the article.

It mentions the idea of roundball schuetzen. Any of you Friendship denizens able to tell us if that's happened?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 04:56:25 AM »
Fact or fiction, I don't know, but I have no reason to doubt what I was told when I bought this rifle. I have a rifle by Wilson Stewart of Crawford County, Ohio that is reported to have won the first scheutzen match held at Friendship. Can't tell you when it was shot but it was a while ago. The rifle is complete with a full compliment of sights, (tang, open rear and front blade) as well as a "bullet" mold. It shoots a .45 caliber greased conical bullet.  I don't know if the rules have changed but tha's what this one shoots.
Mark
Mark

Offline LH

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:26:36 AM »
I saw that you can use roundballs in the article,  but I also know what I can do with a roundball at 200yds and I know what competitive scores are in that game.  There's a big gap between the two for me :(  If they'd let me shoot my Sharps,  I could at least worry some of the other shooters,  but shooting roundballs,  I'd just be slingin lead I'm afraid.  I've got a barrel that's a 1:16 twist .408 groove but the only way I could use it in time for September would be to put it on an old underhammer action.  I might could get it to shoot ok,  but that would be a sorry looking piece of work I think and not worth the effort to me.  I do have some good sights I could use though........hmmmm??? :D