Author Topic: Why can't I find things like this when I go Fishing  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Why can't I find things like this when I go Fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:52:51 AM »
Yeah, I when I go fishing in the ocean I usually get sea sick, hangover, & sunburn. When fishing locally I catch chiggers,  wood ticks, & poison.

Nice find for sure. You can bet it has not been messed with. ;D

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:15:20 AM »
He had better either put it back in the mud or get it to a museum for immersion treatment or it will fall apart rapidly. Trade gun?

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 03:43:19 AM »
Yes, it's looks to be a trade gun to me too.  I was surprised at the length of the barrel, it's longer than most I've seen, really neat piece of history.

Frank

eddillon

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:59:26 AM »
PPatch has it right.  If the finder doesn't get it to a museum that knows how to take care of this historical find, he'll have a pile of rust, mud and rotten wood crumbs.  Did he record the location of his find?  Chances are ther is more than that trade gun on the spot.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 01:26:40 AM »
I caught a 1" steel cable with the anchor last time we went out. !@*%&@ near pulled me out of the boat! :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 07:10:53 AM »
The choice for preservation some years ago was polyethlene glycol. It was poured into a long tray and the item was immerseded in it until replacement and sealing took place. Time in the tray depends on the item and its fluid content. After stabilization a wax preservative was applied to seal the surfaces. Poly used to be carried by a good hardware store and may still be. Chemical supply houses would have it.
The idea that there may be more material in the area that you found the gun is a good one and should be followed up on. For this, contact the local university history or archaeology department. They could conduct a survey of the bottom and send down divers to look for posssibilities. This could be an isolated find, or it could be a sunken boat owned by Indians, or even voyageurs. In any case, it is a great find and rivals anything I have seen recovered on land, or in the sea.
Dick