Author Topic: Table Shoot  (Read 45415 times)

Offline spiderman852

Re: Table Shoot
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
Hi All, we had a great time at the Table shoot this past Sat. The weather was AWESOME! I think we started off at 40degrees and ended with a balmy 50 degrees. Sunshine and a few clouds. We had around 15 shooters. Some from Ohio, Kentuk and Indiana. We shot 10 shots and payed back 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in each relay. The competition is starting to get a lot better each time we have  this shoot. I think the guys are starting to get the hang of it! The prizes and $ were spread out pretty evenly.Our next shoot is towards the end of Feb. I am not sure of the exact date, but once I find out I will let you all know.

Mike

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for the pics and comments. What kind of strings were shot. You couldn't have ordered better weather for the 28th of December.
Mark
Mark

Offline spiderman852

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2013, 02:22:15 AM »
Mark, I don't know any string measurements, maybe Robin will chime in and let you know.
You are right about the weather, it was GREAT!

Mike

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2013, 03:36:51 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, looks like all had good weather and a good time.  Looks and sounds as if this table shooting is catching on.  Great to hear! :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2013, 03:56:55 AM »
Good to see the smoke poles working. Anything to keep'em shooting. A few of us went shooting today out at my cabin but there wasnt any green grass, knee deep snow and a -11 degrees. Sure look forward to the NMLRA shoot in Pheonix in March and maybe the Nebraska Territorial in April.

mmprwarner

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2013, 05:18:51 AM »
Hey everybody, I finally got a chance to slow down after the grandsons birthday party the post something about the table shoot. We have 13 registered shooters and myself scoring. The numbers break down as follows. Ron B. Had 2 first place. 1 second place on the third Mr. Byrge came up with one first in one second. Mike M. Came up with one first and two thirds. Bill D. Came up one first two seconds and one third. Bo Courtney proved to be the king of the day 2 first three seconds and one third. Dave Collier came up with one first one second three thirds/ Jerry Barnes came up with two seconds one third, Tim Shaul came up with two first and one third in the best X at 0. 046 everybody else had a really good time. My thanks to Mike Majeski and Mitch Warner for helping run range. A special thanks to Mike for the shooting box which was run off a special shoot by buying an individual target anywhere from 1 to 10 of them in which you could put in behind her regular scoring target, but they were only scored for the box which Dave Collier took home. Thanks to everybody that donated additional prizes and the pictures that Mike posted are really good. We couldn't have asked for a better day to shoot. We had a light wind. around 40. when we s was around 40. We started in somewhere around 50 in the competition was very close, friendly, just the way we like to seeit At any rate, thanks everybody for coming. Really miss those of you who were unable to make it to do family issues and our prayers are with Mark Herman hoped that his injured hand lets him get back to the range very soon.

mmprwarner

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2013, 10:06:20 PM »
Here's the dates. Some of you were asking about at the last shoot.
2014 WAHPANIPE MLC TABLE SHOOT DATES AT
ALLEN W COON’S FARM
4091 S 800 E
GLENWOOD, IN 46133
DATES FOR 2014
Feb 8, 2014
MAY 17, 2014
JUNE 28, 2014
OCT 11, 2014
DEC 27, 2014
9:30 AM
? contact Robin at  p.r.warner@hotmail.com

dagner

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2013, 11:52:48 PM »
  the rules are real simple a table or bench and a target  most shoot at 30 yards .well their are your rules - you make them up to keep your shooters happy and to fit in the range you have..the oldest shoots still running over in mo. only have one rule no peep sight  or scopes scoring same way some go by best shots in the whole match- by best couple  in every round and some like chunk string. your shoot your rules.the best one I saw was posted  -you know what we are trying to do -don't !$@! us off .that was the one rule

mmprwarner

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2014, 04:19:47 AM »
Calling all table shooters and those who would like to be table shooters, the February 8 shoot Allen Coon's is being rescheduled to February 22. Let's look to start around 10:30 AM in the meantime, stay warm, stay safe and give somebody a helping hand whenever you can.

mmprwarner

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 09:47:37 PM »
  the rules are real simple a table or bench and a target  most shoot at 30 yards .well their are your rules - you make them up to keep your shooters happy and to fit in the range you have..the oldest shoots still running over in mo. only have one rule no peep sight  or scopes scoring same way some go by best shots in the whole match- by best couple  in every round and some like chunk string. your shoot your rules.the best one I saw was posted  -you know what we are trying to do -don't !$@! us off .that was the one rule
I read the quoted post several times couldn't quite figure the last two or three lines out. At any rate, if any of you need any information about what were doing in East Central Indiana on the table shoot get in touch with me. I'll be glad to send you what we've got never really heard the rule about not torquing somebody off.

Offline koger

« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2014, 03:40:30 AM »
Guys this is great! Sam Koger here, new to the forum, but not ML shooting. I have shot with Mr. Coon, Ron Boron and a few others I believe I saw pictured here at Pall Mall/Alvin York shoot, and at Friendship. I have not shot chunk in years, due to having back surgery, just cant lay down prone and shoot much. Have been out of competition last 4-5 years, due to work, taking care of parents in poor health, and life in general. Starting to get back into it, might want to get one of these started here locally! I could shoot this type match with no issues to my back, as well as offhand. Great post!

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2014, 08:02:58 PM »
Sam,
Welcome aboard. I have had similar problems, with my back, and have found this new game to be fun, competitive and addictive. You owe it to yourself to give it a try.
Mark
Mark

mmprwarner

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2014, 03:32:14 PM »
Hello Sam welcome to the forum. Lots of good people here. Good to see your interest in a table shoots there's anything that we can do to help you please let us know.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2014, 06:18:07 AM »
Robin..........this table shooting keeps gnawing at me.   As soon as the weather breaks I must get out my little Dave Motto
40 cal gun off the wall and shoot it again, it has rested long enough.  What is the rule on peep sights?  I was thinking of
putting one on this little gun.  It will be a traditional type peep sight and might help some with aiming.  Right now I'm
playing with a sore shoulder......bursitis..........Don

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2014, 06:42:30 AM »
Don-
When we get to Lewisburg I will let you know what not to do. Wish you would come maybe I can beat you.
See you in a couple of weeks

mmprwarner

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2014, 10:21:03 PM »
Don
The rule is pretty simple. You may use any type of peep sight,that you like. However, if it is adjustable. You will not be able to adjust it during competition. I have seen all manner peep sight, show up. I am personally using a long bar peep sight, which is nothing more than a piece of 1/2 by 1/8 inch steel turned up 90° with a hole drilled and tapped to hold the aperture. But I have seen once again all manner of them out there. I believe that we shoot with a group of true gentleman in the we do not need to worry much about them being adjusted. Come on out and have a good time when you can.

DICKH

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2014, 12:08:31 AM »
Robin
  After a year of table shoots which sight open or peep is winning most of the matches?

Richard Henderson

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2014, 06:13:00 AM »
Dick,
I'm sure Robin will be on this one soon but in the mean time. Mike Medjeski has been doing some serious b---tt kicking on a regular basis using open sights, while others of us are starting to get the hang of it with peeps. Can't tell you what the percentages are but you will find both on the tables.
Mark
Mark

mmprwarner

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
Richard
I would really love to give you a straightforward definitive answer. However, I do have to agree with what Mark says Mike Majeski has been doing very well. He has won most of the first years matches with a set of open sights. I believe they were square notch with a blade for site at our last shoot. And please don't hold me to this. I believe Bo Courtney was running a set of open sights and came away with lion share the winnings David Collier is running a set of open sights with a clarifier behind them. For most of the first year shoots and at our last shoot used open sights. I believe, he has done exceptionally well. On the other hand, Bill D has been running and set a peep sights and has been running in the top three or four every time Tim S shot my table rifle using a set of peep sights and did very well last time. Which is encouraging. As he had not been shooting well for the last year or so. To give you a straightforward answer. The number say that open sights have been doing very well and I would like to think as it was our desire when we started table matches to put the shooter back in the game instead of the equipment we may have actually succeeded in that.

You are very local to me if you'd like to get together sometime it be really happy to try to discuss it with you. Just give me a call if you don't have my number. Allen Coon does. I'm sorry if this seems like a bit of a runaround answer, but in short, the peep system seems to have helped those who are having some issues with their eyes, but a person skilled with open sights can expect to do very well.

As for me I run a peep sights. The old blue eyes just ain't what they used to be.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2014, 04:58:50 PM »
Robin.........I would probably make  a long peep sight with the rear end bent up at 90 degrees, maybe do some fancy file work
on it.  Theoretically you should shoot better with a peep sight since you are lengthening your sight radius, but, when you run
up against a good shooter like Mike, it doesn't really matter.  This chunk gun shooting, or table shooting, all boils down to how
well you can see your sights and target, and have a good shootin' gun.........Don

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »
 This chunk gun shooting, or table shooting, all boils down to how
well you can see your sights and target, and have a good shootin' gun.........Don
[/quote]

There in lies the problem!

dagner

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2014, 04:13:47 AM »
  don robin -paul- and dis are all shooting a homemade very  crude peep and doing great with them, I questioned how  rough they looked but when you looked threw peep hole worked just great.it has been a toss up on the peeps .mike m has been thumping every one with regular open .couple other people have also done very well with opens.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2014, 06:24:14 PM »
I think think every set of chunk gun rules have the same statement about adjustable sights.  If you give it some thought, we
would recommend changing your sight on every shot.  Kind of like "chasing" your last shot.  If and when I put that peep sight
on my gun, I will somehow make sure it does not hit right at the top of my front sight, or right on my aiming point.  It can
hit my sighter target anywhere else, high, low, right or left.   To those who are not familiar with chunk gun or table shooting,
if your gun will shoot at the very top of your front sight, it will soon chew up your aimiing point.  Must get that sight made and
when the weather clears, get out and shoot that 40 cal. gun.   It's been years since I shot this gun but I ran a patch down the
barrel yesterday and came out clean, no brown on it...............Don

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2014, 11:34:19 PM »
I've never shot a Chunk Shoot or a Table Shoot, I'd love to try it! Hopefully this next one in Feb. it can't be as complicated as it sound.

Could be I'm just over thinking it. ;)

~Tony

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2014, 05:24:54 AM »
Don,
I learned what you are saying the hard way. My first table shoot I was shooting into my sighter at about 10 o'clock, nice group too. After a little while I was shooting outside my spotter at about 4 o'clock. Never dawned on me that my sighter had completely chenged due to being 1/3 shot away and my sight picture had moved with the remaining spotter. Now I shoot about 2" below my spotter at 6 o'clock. Haven't fiqured out how to hit a moving spider yet.
Mark
Mark