Author Topic: Christian Stahl, Dauphin County,PA raised carved Golden Age rifle  (Read 6179 times)

Offline tomjanemc

My Christian Stahl, Dauphin County, PA will be auctioned off at the Old Barn Auction in Findlay, Ohio on Saturday April 12th,2014. For those that are interested, it's lot # 805. Their web site is www.oldbarn.com. Their auction catalog will be mailed very soon.
 I posted pictures of this rifle on the forum under the Antique Rifle postings on Dec. 8,2013 and last post was Dec. 14th.
Email me or send me a PM if you would like additional pictures. email: tomjanemc@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:34:47 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Christian Stahl, Dauphin County,PA raised carved Golden Age rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 06:15:01 PM »
Thanks for posting.
So what will the estimates be?
John
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:35:03 PM by Dennis Glazener »
John Robbins

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:35:25 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Andover, Vermont

Offline tomjanemc

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 09:59:33 PM »
JTR- The Old Barn auction usually doesn't list estimates in their catalog. But, I took the rifle to the KRA show in 2012, and the appraisals/estimates ranged from $12K - $15K. Since then I've had 2 additional estimates- $17.5K and $20K
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:35:51 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline tomjanemc

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:47:22 AM »
My Christian Stahl rifle sold today at the Old Barn Auction for $11K. The buyer was from PA and with the 10% buyers premium and sales tax he paid a total of = $ 12,916.75

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:39:55 AM »
I saw your gun in the catalog. Sounds like you did ok but 20 sure would have been better. Did you have reserve on it?  I'm about 3 hours away and every time I plan to go and never make it. Usually some nice Ohio guns but 6 hours round trip is just too much. They sure had the market cornered on 1873s this time.  The folks that run the place have a really good reputation. One of these days I will actually get there.  Thanks, Jack
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:20:35 AM by GrampaJack »

Offline tomjanemc

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:46:56 AM »
GrampaJack- I had a reserve of $10K on the rifle.
Most of the 30 Ohio signed rifles sold at a reasonable price, but the J. Ax signed percussion fullstock went for much higher than I expected at $6500. This is the only J. Ax rifle fullstock I've seen in 30 years of collecting. Nice auction overall.

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:35:52 AM »
You are right - I almost made the trip just to see the Ax. I also had never seen one.  I look for O. G. Thayer rifles made in Chardon Ohio but I have only seen 2 for sale in the last 10 years. I bought one that had been in a fire and the other went for just a stupid amount so I still sit with just one. I look forward to Mansfield. The military guns usually go high but I have found some good deals on Ohio guns. Best Regards, Jack

QuarterMasterStahl

Re: Christian Stahl, Dauphin County, PA raised carved Golden Age rifle
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 07:03:19 AM »
My Christian Stahl rifle sold today at the Old Barn Auction for $11K. The buyer was from PA and with the 10% buyers premium and sales tax he paid a total of = $ 12,916.75

:o My John Stahl is listed on this website as a gunmaker.  He was originally from Lehigh Co., PA.  I posted an article on him here in this forum.  I am interested in genealogy and have taken note of all you posted in the section under the pictures you placed.  At this point, I do not have any leads on Christian's parentage.  Perhaps there is a connection.  I think you'll find what I posted on my John Stahl will be very interesting.  I take it that Christian T. Stahl was not one of your ancestors correct? 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:04:46 PM by QuarterMasterStahl »