Author Topic: Most influential builder  (Read 26129 times)

Offline Tommy Bruce

Re: Most influential builder
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 04:28:18 AM »
Wow, I looked over the posts on this and keep thinking  "Oh yeah how could I not have thought about that guy".   I think it would be cool to have a gun builders hall of fame.   Not sure how it would be judged or who would do it but sometimes I just have to sit back in awe of the talent that is out there.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 04:52:32 AM »
I think it would be cool to have a gun builders hall of fame

They do have that of sorts although it includes accoutrement's.   The contemporary longrifle association gives out a Pioneer Award each year.  I hope someone with more knowledge than I can add to this.  Award winners so far have been:
Earl Lanning
Frank House
Jim Chambers
Steve Bookout
Lally House

Looks like several of the names above have already appeared in this thread.  My vote goes to Steve Bookout although there is no way you could deny the influence of Jim Chambers, Hershel House, or Eric Kettenburg on gun building in general. 

Cheers,
ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 05:24:38 AM »
I don't want to think about building guns without the selection of locks that Jim Chambers has given us.  Talk about influence...

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 06:03:34 AM »
This is a great thread and everyone who's been mentioned is indeed an influence to one degree or another.  They are all certainly master gun builders.  I guess it comes down to personal tastes...  If I HAD to pick, for me it would be Bill Shipman, Jim Kibler,  and Wallace Gussler.  Also, Mark Wheland inspires and influences me greatly.  Again, that's not to say I'm not influenced greatly by others, it's just these guys really appeal to me.

As for the old masters, J Bonewitz and L Reedy,  as well as several from the York Co. school.

Ed
Ed Wenger

angus

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 06:07:52 AM »
My vote, my local hero, Brother Steve Bookout. Here is a guy that has taught many a student FREE of charge how to build a muzzleloader as long as they had the will, some financial means and the desire to put forth the effort.

I am one of the lucky chaps to have had the opportunity to learn from an old school gunsmith. It is too bad that I didn't take it more serious before now to further my light in learning the trade. I have spent many a hour observing, listening to and learning from one of the greatest teachers in my life. I will be forever indebted to Steve's friendship, gratitude and patience.

You have been an inspirational mentor. Thank you Brother.

ChipK

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 06:09:41 AM »
Out here in the Great Northwest - Washington State - there are just too many to list.  There are two outstanding gunmakers events; Ron Scott's event in Oregon and the Gunmakers Guild Here in Washington.

Such gunmakers as Ron Scott, Dave Rase, David Dolliver, Bill, Sick, Don Reimer, and Mike Keller all have nade major contributions to expanding gunmaking to many who never would have ever thought of making a rifle.

A influential builder is one who shares their techniques and inspires others.

long carabine

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »
 Mark Wheland, I held one of his rifles this past summer and it was nice. My vote still goes to The House brothers.

Offline Doug Cline

• Starting Member
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 08:53:52 PM »
The House brothers, Wallace Gusler, Gary Brumfield, and Ian Pratt would be my short list,
Doug

George F.

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 11:43:42 PM »
Where does one begin. There are so many. I fear that listing them would offend . I think that any one displaying more talent than I have, has my vote for admiration, and that is allot of builders. The workmanship I have seen over the last 10 years would humble quite a few of us. The work is just beautiful, and hard to believe some have that talent.   ...Geo.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 03:23:21 AM »
Well here's some names that probably nobody knows. Raymond D. TaylorII and his wife Jackie..They were the Muzzleloading lodestone around Southern CA and were like second parents to me. Ray never blew off the goofy kid that came in with a million questions and showed me everything he knew about the various skills need to build and use a longrifle. A Chosin Frozen Marine from back in the hills. I do treasure all the memories of these two.  Jackie was the one to go to if you liked artillery.  The dogs were Dixie and Beauregard and I'll see ya at Blue and Grey Ball.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 05:37:19 AM »
For Me : Bivins, Harn & Haugh
HOWEVER the Two  "Erics" ( Kettenburg & von Aschwege) Have let me see clearer then I have in 27 years!
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

lew wetzel

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »
i would have to say ian pratt and jim kibler...i have gotten to learn from them both and have seen first hand what these two guys can do and it is very impressive...i also like ken nettings rifles.my all time favorite is wallice gusler...and i kinda like myself alittle bit too....lol and i have to add just one more guy that really impresses me with his work....taylor sapergia!!!!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:46:26 AM by lew wetzel »

Offline Benedict

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009, 05:21:36 PM »
My first influence was from Frank Hall who ran a gun shop in Fort Collins, Co. and built very nice rifles.  After that it would have to be John Bivins for all of his excellent articles in Rifle magazine.  And then when I finally got to the NMLRA Gunsmith Seminars in Bowling Green, came the really big names.  These include Wallace Gusler, Gary Brumfield, Mark Silver and Jim Chambers.

Some names who have not been mentioned but have had a major influence on ALL of us are Joe Kindig and George Shumway.

Bruce

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 06:39:42 PM »
John Bivins was the one who got me interested. I never met the man and always regretted it; however, his articles in Rifle magazine really gave me my first glimpse in this area. John was not only exceptionally talented, but he was also a first rate writer. I hope the book he was working on will be published at some point.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 09:25:30 PM »
Kit Ravenshear has inspired me.  I kept progressing back in time and his ability to show up at the Rifle Frolic with a gonne no one had ever seen before, that he had built since his last visit, was awesome.  I often wished that I could plug in a USB cable directly from his head to mine and download his knowledge and skill.  To think that all that knowledge and skill passed along with him almost makes me cry.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 09:26:36 PM »
I guess "most influential" would mean those who set a standard or style or did the most teaching and encouraging in the field, and whose work continues to influence today.  So I cannot list current phenoms (in the best sense of the word).  And I won't list superb craftsmen whose styles are in a similar vein to "founders" or who were obviously strongly influenced by "founders".  This list will leave off Homer Dangler, Chuck Dixon, Richard Hjusa, Kit Ravenshear and others who have done a lot of teaching and encouraging but didn't necessarily leave a big "style" footprint because they built pretty much to the originals.   Bivins probably had the biggest impact because he hit his stride at a critical time and was a terrific innovator and writer and became very well known because of the Bicentennial rifles.

Alphabetical order:

John Bivins
Wallace Gusler
House brothers
Jack Haugh
Earl Lanning
Monte Mandarino
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:27:22 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 02:51:45 AM »
I think a lot of us "out west" apprenticed to John Bivins via "Rifle Magazine".  I know I did and most of my early work shows the John Bivins influence. 
Bruce, Frank Hall was also the first builder I remember drooling over his Lancaster style longrifles.  Lots of Hawkins but Frank introduced me to the "longrifle".  I lived in Ft. Collins until 1984, minus a 4 year stint in the service.
As I have transitioned through this journey of longrifle building many people have influenced my work over the years depending where I was in my travels.
I can blame Wallace Gussler for getting me into forging my own iron mounts when building an iron mounted gun.  One afternoon in the gun room at Western Kentucky University Wallace picked up a rifle and commented on what a nic gun it was, too bad it had cast steel mounts on it.  I went home. bought a forge, anvil, swage block and have never build an iron mounted gun with cast steel mounts.  Thank you Wallace.
DMR

willyr

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 03:41:37 AM »
Boy, it's hard to name anyone without running the risk of offending someone else; but I would have to say Bill Shipman and Ken Guy. I practically ruined my keyboard drooling over the Christian Hawken rifle by Bill Shipman and nearly finished it off looking at Ken Guy's Tennessee rifle. I guess I am more a fan of these later period rifles than I am the earlier ones.
Be Well,
Bill Ridout

famouseagle

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 03:49:19 AM »
I became interested in building longrifles in the late 60s.  The first gunbuilding book I bought was William Buchele's "Recreating the Kentucky Rifle".  I still have it - or what's left of it.  It has been read many times.  

I would say that William Buchele was my earliest, if not greatest influence.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 05:49:13 AM »
As a builder, my list of favorites is a bit long, but my short list is as follows:  The man who gave me my start was Robin Hale, the Southern rifle expert.  He and Jim Chambers gave me enough confidence in myself to rifle barrels by hand.  Kit Ravenshear and Wallace Gussler also provided help way back when I needed it as well.   Hershel provided the barrel welding knowledge (when I could keep him and the old man separated because they were always talking Model "A"s.)  Mike Brooks and Ken Guy finishes that list.  These gentlemen are everything I wish I could have been.  Just my two cents.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 08:03:31 PM »
I had the privilege, in the early '70's, of looking over the first rifle that Jerry Kirkilin built. The styling of that first gun might have been a bit off, but the workmanship was superb. His second rifle then had the architecture and lines right on. Made me sick. Jerry was a styling artist for X'ler before he became a gunmaker. Just today I was looking through the shop-stained dog-eared copy of Torsten Lenk's book that I bought from Jerry when he retired for real. I would imagine that Mr. Kirklin made copies of original guns, but it was clear that he was his own man. I would say that much of his work was Jerry Kirklin, influenced by the best 18th Century craftsmen both European and American, rather than a direct copy of some Pennsylvania Dutchman's work (no offence meant to my Dutch cousins). We all have our personal preferences as to style, I happened to know Jerry personally.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2009, 05:00:12 AM »
The ones in this area that have been the biggest influence on me, are Tim Mitchell, and Monte Mandarino, although Monte is doing restoration, rather than building now. Ron Paull also does a fine rifle.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

long carabine

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2009, 01:53:53 PM »
 I just sold to a friend of mine son a ML made by a man named Elmer Carlson. From what I understand he was a longtime builder in the Erie, PA area. The man did very nice work. There is so many unnamed builders out there that it would be very difficult to name even the top 100. Tim

Offline Benedict

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
The ones in this area that have been the biggest influence on me, are Tim Mitchell, and Monte Mandarino, although Monte is doing restoration, rather than building now. Ron Paull also does a fine rifle.

Waksupi, I was very impressed with Tim Mitchell and his work when I met him at the 91 Rocky Mountain Rendezvous.  I have never met Monte Mandarino or Ron Paull but have seen pictures of their work.  Very nice (especially Monte's).

BTW where are you located?  Last I heard Tim and Monte were in Montana so I am guessing you are too.  So am I.

Bruce

Harrod

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2009, 11:28:46 PM »
Ron Ehlert. Another great talent no longer with us.