Author Topic: Rifle Number 3...Uuhhh...#4 FINISHED (First shots at a target)  (Read 30790 times)

Offline flatsguide

Re: Rifle Number 3...Uuhhh...#4 FINISHED
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2015, 05:21:57 AM »
Just lovely! A host of mastered disciplines melded into an artful masterpiece. Just like the lovely little priming horn with the nautical motif. All eye candy to be sure.
Regards Richard

Offline mab7

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2015, 08:04:26 AM »
Words cannot begin to describe your engraving...
I could look at it for hours on end.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2015, 04:57:38 PM »
 WOW! You have set a high standard for yourself. Look forward to your next whatever it may be.

Tim C.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2015, 05:34:56 PM »
Nice. Seeing what was done here makes me want to take up golf.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2015, 10:48:30 PM »
A museum piece!!!  Your artistic eye and ability to execute it in all media is an amazing talent.  Keep getting better and better.  Your personal touch is beautiful.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2015, 04:27:43 PM »
Hi Dave,
Beautifully done!  How did you find using Sutherland Welles polymerized tung oil?  I love the carving behind the cheek piece.  In fact, I like it so much that I have a rifle almost done with a similar design but with an unusual twist.  Again, very well done, Dave.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »
David,

I meant to send you a note to thank you for the tip on the Sutherland & Wells tung oil.  I finished both the Kibler copy and this rifle with it and am very pleased with both the ease of application and the outcome.  Actually, I combined your suggestion with one from Dan Phariss.  I had purchased the S&W High Luster polymerized tung oil and then mixed up some of it 50/50 with some real turpentine that I had allowed to sit open in a shallow pan for a few days.  (Dan does this with the linseed oil he uses.)  On the Kibler copy, I put the 50/50 mix on as a first coat, let it soak in as much as it might, and then wiped it down.  I then put the stock in direct sunlight (on my little low RPM stock rotisserie) and it was dry in a couple of hours.  I then applied another coat of the straight S&W oil by rubbing a very small amount (finger tip quantity) as far as it would go all over the stock and then, before it got too tacky, I tried to rub it all off with a paper towel.  This resulted in a stock that was immediately "handleable" and the coat dried very quickly in the sun.  Four of those coats (over three days) and the stock was done.

On this walnut stock, I didn't want to fill the grain so I made no attempt to do that.  I used the 50/50 mix to start and then, because I wanted to subdue the sheen a little, I continued to use it for the entire finishing operation.  It worked great and I am pleased with the outcome.

And thank you all for your kind comments.  It has been fun to have a little free time to devote to these last couple of rifles and I learn something from the constructive and cogent comments made on this board.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

vulture

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 03:39:35 AM »
Ok, I have never been a fan of carving on the wood or ingraving the metal of these rifles, just my personal veiw of things, but I do have an eye for quality work and this is some of the niceses I've seen.  I am truley impressed, not that my opinion is worth much, it and a dollar will get you a cup of coffie and your local hang out. I would truely love to be able to do this kind of work, but not enough to put in the time and tools to do it, don't think I have that much life left.  For what ever reason I have always been a fan of "wood" in it's natural state, in fact some of the really fancy grained rifle stocks tend to turn me off, again it's just me.  I really like this site and appreciate all of the talent that resides here.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 04:05:58 AM »
Wonderful rifle, Dave!  Everything just seems to "fit".  Great balance of carving and engraving, a truly nice piece.  Thanks for sharing!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2015, 11:55:17 PM »
#4, huh?  You guys make me want to give up and start chopping kindling.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2015, 10:26:54 PM »
Ok....I finally got a chance to go shoot this one and the Kibler Copy with the meteor sights.  (I will post some info on that one as well).  I only had an hour or so at the range and just wanted to get a few rounds through the rifle to see where the sights were shooting.  I didn't have time to make any adjustments.  Here are the first three shots at 50 yards, .490 round ball, 0.012" thick patch, 70 grains of FFg, from rest........

Shooting at a 5 1/2 inch black, 6 o'clock hold on the black, this group came out an inch to the right an 4 1/2 inches above target center.  Not sure what to do yet.  I would like to sight the rifle in at 100 yards so I don't want to do any adjusting until I get a chance to spend a day or two at the range.  First indications look good to me, though.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:35:54 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

kaintuck

Re: Rifle Number 3...Uuhhh...#4 FINISHED (First shots at a target)
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2015, 11:24:49 PM »
 ;D
might be pretty dead on at 100yds..........
marc n tomtom

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Rifle Number 3...Uuhhh...#4 FINISHED (First shots at a target)
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2015, 06:07:46 AM »
Dave,
I am not the one, and won't be, to critique your rifles except to say that I think everything about them from the architecture to the engraving, carving and inleting are first rate museum quality in my eyes. With the quick group you have shown, you may want to try the rifle at 100 yds without adjusting anything except a little windage. I always look froward to seeing what comes off your bench.
Mark
Mark