Author Topic: Rifle Number 3...Uuhhh...#4 FINISHED (First shots at a target)  (Read 30789 times)

Offline Pete G.

Re: Rifle Number 3...Unfinished
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 03:25:38 PM »
A feller sits around trying to firgure out how to fix sumptin that ain't even broke yet.

Must be an enigineer.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 07:15:43 PM »
Looks like another great gun Dave. I like the fix in the wrist, looks very well done.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »
Pete G,

Yes, an engineer....and worse yet, a military engineer.  Always have a secondary and even tertiary plan...and then be prepared to throw all the plans out the window and make up something on the spot.  Like the Marines I used to operate with said, "Adapt, Improvise, Overcome".
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Meteorman

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »
Dave2,
Thought on one aspect, SMR have the curve from the distal end on the cheek piece curve up and terminate at the front end of the BP , Lancaster types need that curve to curve up and term at the corner of the BP...it will "sweep" in a long curve.....all these things...
Marc

No offense, Kaintuck, but i'm not so sure about those rules of thumb for cheek piece shaping. At least for TN rifles.
Mssrs. Wheland and Mock build pretty fair guns, as you know.  See what you think at links below.
Plus one of my own, that is not anywhere near in the same league as the above, but I can still find pleasing (to me anyway)  aspects of the cheekpiece shaping.
Not meaning to debate or offend here, just pointing out some different perspectives that maybe arent all that rare or obscure.

dave C. - your engraving is so stunning its difficult to even look at the wood !  Fine work.

/mike

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2011/07/mark-wheland.html

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2013/03/andy-mock.html

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search?q=Mike+millard

Stuartg

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 05:40:36 AM »
My eyes are so drawn to the engraving, I'm having a tough time seeing the wood. I'm in awe of the engraving!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 11:42:28 PM »
Pete G,

Yes, an engineer....and worse yet, a military engineer.  Always have a secondary and even tertiary plan...and then be prepared to throw all the plans out the window and make up something on the spot.  Like the Marines I used to operate with said, "Adapt, Improvise, Overcome".

I understand perfectly. I just retired after 40 years in the marine engineering department in a shipyard building warships.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 04:40:43 AM »
Pascagoula ?  I've probably sailed ships you built there !
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 07:13:45 AM »
Starting work again on this rifle as well.  Beginning of the patch box inletting.  The top of the box door will be round and the door will open from the side on this one.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:39:56 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Rifle Number 3...Uuhhh...#4 Still Unfinished but closer
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 09:41:58 PM »
Ok, OK.....you know it is really hard to finish a rifle when all the talented builders on this site keep teaching me things.  Just as soon as I decide to do something one way, one of you comes up with a better idea.  So this rifle, which started out as number three (but was bypassed when I decided to make a copy of a Jim Kibler rifle) is now #4.  And, although I have changed my mind several times on what I wanted to do with it, I was committed by previous work in several areas and I just need to get it finished.  So, I started the carving (not quite done yet) and finished the patch box / toe plate inletting, mechanics, and engraving.  As you may notice, the carving is still heavily influenced by copying Kibler's work.....

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:33:58 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 03:09:20 AM »
Your work is excellent and incredibly crisp. The quality of your engraving is way over the top for an American gun. I know guys with your ability have trouble dialing back and I understand why. I really like the gun and wouldn't have worried about a wrist break. I'll be interested how you finish it up, carving etc. I guess you should match the quality of the carving to the same quality as the engraving.
 I'd like to see your talents applied to a euro gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

kaintuck

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 12:07:27 AM »
I THINK dave has a micro router that works off his CAD program......that way he gets crisp metal to wood fits.......no gaps....... :o

marc n tomtom

Offline ScottH

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 12:19:04 AM »
Dave,
 Looking great!
I would love to see a photo of your top 5 to 10 inletting / carving chisels or tools.
Your wood to metal fit is amazing to me.
I can't even begin to comment on the engraving as I wouldn't know where to start except that I have no idea how that is accomplished.
Thanks for the pictures!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 02:13:43 AM »
ScottH,

Thanks for the compliment, but there are others on this site much better at engraving, carving, and inletting that I am.  (There is some great information and photos in the "Tutorial" section posted by guys who actually know what they are doing .....and can explain it.)

To answer your question, I have a hundred or more carving tools that I have accumulated over the years...most by foolishly buying sets with lots of tools in them that I have never used.  These are really the only tools I use for all of the inletting and carving I do....

To give you some scale, in the last photo, the flat chisel in the center is about 3/16 inch wide, so the curved "U" and the "V" on either side are even smaller.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:34:25 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline ScottH

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 03:13:26 AM »
Dave
 Thank you! That is very helpful!

Offline Angus

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2015, 05:03:48 AM »
Very nice craftsmanship!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2015, 07:12:03 PM »
Your work is excellent and incredibly crisp. The quality of your engraving is way over the top for an American gun. I know guys with your ability have trouble dialing back and I understand why. I really like the gun and wouldn't have worried about a wrist break. I'll be interested how you finish it up, carving etc. I guess you should match the quality of the carving to the same quality as the engraving.
I'd like to see your talents applied to a euro gun.

Ditto!!!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Rifle Number 3...Uuhhh...#4 FINISHED
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »
OK...for what it's worth...mistakes and all, it's done.  I figure with a little use, it will develop its own distinct patina that will elevate some of the errors.  Of course, the design flaws will be there forever......

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:35:26 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Thawk

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 10:53:58 PM »
That is one beautiful piece.  I'm jealous. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2015, 12:02:55 AM »
Lovely - simply lovely!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline old george

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2015, 12:29:31 AM »
The engraving is wonderful.  A fine rifle indeed.

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline bob hertrich

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2015, 12:52:19 AM »
All I can say is outstanding work.

raszpla

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2015, 02:28:18 AM »
very nice work  :)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2015, 04:04:43 AM »
I like it Dave.  Nice job carving walnut.  The rifle has a distinct English flare.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Sawatis

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2015, 04:47:44 AM »
This is one awesome rifle Dave...number 4...really?  Gotta ask what are you using for the engraving, hammer and chisel, push? Both?  Looking forward to seeing number 5!
John

CoSnipe

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2015, 04:50:13 AM »
Beautiful work,I hope to be as good some day