Author Topic: The Creative Process  (Read 5084 times)

Offline Pete G.

The Creative Process
« on: July 16, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
Other than having an order from a client, how do you decide what is your next build?
I started out with the intent to build something to represent the major periods and now have representations of
  • Early Christian Springs Albrecht style rifle
  • Revolution era Dickert style
  • Post Revolution York County style
  • Golden Age Valley of Virginia style
  • Iron mounted Southern Mountain style
  • Percussion small bore Ohio style

I don't really care for a copy, but I like to work more in the mode of something in the style of whatever time and place.
Now I can't decide quite where to go. I am temped to build a better example of a couple and sell off the existing ones, but after all of the study and building time that seems sort of like selling a part of your soul. I've got most of the parts, with the exception of the barrel and stock, to build another like the second and third on the list.

On the other hand this crazy idea of trying to do something along the lines of RCA 136 keeps popping up.....and I keep thinking...Really? It would be a good example of a Revolution era blacksmith made gun, which I don't have, but I can't help but wonder if it would be a waste of time and effort in the end, and if the time came to sell, who would want it?

What do you do when you get stuck  ??? Maybe I should just go fishing. :-\

Offline rtadams

Re: The Creative Process
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
7-16-14

Pete G,

Build a German Jaeger Rifle. This would provide you with plenty of creative possibilities.

Best Regards,

Robert

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »
Building what you like and what you think will sell are not the same thing.

I always build what I like, and selling does not even place on my list of priorities. I am very very happy creatively, and unhappy financially.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
I agree with Acer, build what you like not what you think will sell best.  I build what I like because I do the work for enjoyment of what I am doing, it keeps my interest up,  and I focus on improving my work on each rifle I build.  When I build what I think someone else will like it is not as enjoyable and turns the build into a job.
                                                                                        Roger Sells

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:52:44 PM »
Build what thrills you.  Even if you intend to sell the rifle it will probably be more exciting and successful if you are personally into it.  I've sold my personal rifles 3 times because they were cool and I was into it and having fun and I guess that showed.  Never again...this last one's mine.   >:(

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:08:31 AM »
Pete G. I don't see any fowling guns on that list.

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 03:32:40 AM »
Hi,
Why restrict yourself to long rifles?  What about matchlocks, wheellocks, snaphaunces, fowlers, wenders, hand gonnes, etc?  There is so much to explore.  Long rifles are great but they are just one little piece of artistic expression.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

jlynn

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 03:42:17 AM »
Schweitzer #227,Kindig

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 04:14:43 AM »
You can be in business selling rifles and be creative at the same time. The builder can invite the customer into the creative process, who then becomes invested in the design and the outcome. You, as the artist, has to be honest with yourself and the customer, and say 'Yes, I can definitely dig this project' or 'I can't get into this part of it, but I could if we did this instead'

It's a collaboration of sorts, between artist and customer. At some point, the customer has to back out and trust in the builder's instincts.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:16:09 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 05:36:37 AM »
You can be in business selling rifles and be creative at the same time. The builder can invite the customer into the creative process, who then becomes invested in the design and the outcome. You, as the artist, has to be honest with yourself and the customer, and say 'Yes, I can definitely dig this project' or 'I can't get into this part of it, but I could if we did this instead'

It's a collaboration of sorts, between artist and customer. At some point, the customer has to back out and trust in the builder's instincts.

I have a lot of fun inviting the client into the creative conversation prior to getting started on a project.  This also gets the customer a lot more excited about it too.  I suppose I'll eventually build some pieces that I'm not too excited about, but that's work afterall.  The most enjoyable pieces to build are the ones where I can let the creative juices run wild - even if the hours add up! 

Build what you want to, Pete.  Don't think yet about selling them, unless it's to fund the next rifle you wish to build.  Out of your list, I'm eager to get started on an Albrecht myself  ;).  A Tennessee gun and a fancy Kuntz are next in line however. 
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 05:59:34 AM »
I usually get an idea what I want to build next before I finish what I am doing now. ( This is not difficult when one is as slow as I am.)  Also, I do not care one whit about selling my rifles, pistols, and fowlers, as I give them away.  I have several children, and lots of grandchildren.  If any of them don't like the quality of my work, they know better than to say so. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

kaintuck

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
I have to many tools, and have to use them. Come to think of it, I need only one more plane, and a nice hand stitched cabinet makers rasp....

I build because I look at books and magazines.....that's why I'm not allowed to have a playboy subscription :o

Marc

Offline okieboy

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 04:28:10 PM »
 There are no plains rifles (and that includes more than just Hawkens) on your list; no Lehigh valley guns. Also, you could build a gun to a concept, such as the perfect squirrel rifle or the gun that represents your own school where you live.
Okieboy

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 01:45:49 AM »
Building what you like and what you think will sell are not the same thing.

I always build what I like, and selling does not even place on my list of priorities. I am very very happy creatively, and unhappy financially.

I'm not really building to sell as such; it is just that if I start adding more rifles in the same category it won't be long before my house starts leaking rifles. My thoughts about selling were more along the line of if I build another Lancaster I should keep the one I like better and sell the other.

I neglected to mention that I do have a fowler so that should have been included on the list. I have sort of shied away from a Lehigh for the same reason that I have avoided a Fordney style. They are so distinctive that if they are not 100% right they are wrong.

Lately I've been reading Willaim Bartram's accounts of his travels in the Southeast and several times he mentions "I took my fusee and..."   Maybe a Fusil Fin???? Still not quite over this gunbuilder's version of writers block but  this discussion may have at least started some wheels to begin to turn, however slowly. Thanks guys.

Incidentally, to those who always need another tool....get something called a Vixen pattern file. This thing will peel off wood almost as fast as a belt sander and leave a smooth surface behind.