Author Topic: Cherry for Gunstock?  (Read 13673 times)

Tom

Cherry for Gunstock?
« on: December 05, 2014, 10:42:25 PM »
What are your opinions regarding cherry for gunstock making?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Cherry for Gunstock?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:37:40 PM »
Common enough for my style, some very beautiful stocks have been made of cherry (and posted here).  But that it can be a very plain wood as well.  Natural color can be outstanding.  I don't have a cherry blank yet, but was sorely torn between the walnut i have and a cherry blank Jim was selling at the same time.

Density and figure are everything methinks.  Color is a bonus.

_here are some of our previous conversations_ and a pic. read up!

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=27532.0

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20229.0

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=25090.15

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10721.0

Sorry it has taken so long, but here is the promised photo of my cherry stock stained with AF.

As I said AF turned it black!, and I used 4-O steel wool to work the color back to where I wanted it.

Mark

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:47:56 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:52:15 PM »
Cherry can be a wonderful wood for stocks, and was traditionally used as well, mostly in New England but elsewhere too.  Feel for weight/density first, as well as grain orientation.  Cherry is a little more prone to splintering than maple, so good grain through the wrist is important.  You often see patchy/flame grain cherry, but don't expect anything as vibrant as what you see on maple or walnut.  Can be simply oil finished once done, or stained with mild lye solution to make it darker.  Doesn't need any kind of pigment dye!
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 01:33:17 AM »
It's good stuff.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 02:28:28 AM »
What are your opinions regarding cherry for gunstock making?
I have built six out of cherry if I remember correctly. Every time I say its the last one I will ever build out of that wood! I love the looks of the wood but its the worst stuff in the world to keep from splintering out. The second rifle I made from cherry was a Lancaster Dreppard. As I was inletting for the patchbox, around the little jagged steps at least twice when I cut straight down then pulled the chisel out, out came a small piece of wood with it! I am sure not all of the wood is like that but so far all I have worked with has been extremely brittle. Now in defense of the wood all of mine has come from local cherry trees that I have cut and dried for gun stocks. I have never actually bought a blank from a dealer. I think 2 or 3 of the stocks I used came from the same tree.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 02:43:16 AM »
Cherry varies a great deal in quality.  Good heavy, dense stuff works well in my view.  Maybe not as good as a nice piece of maple, but still pretty good to work.  And if anyone is interested in some I have several good blanks on hand...

Jim

Tom

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 03:35:43 AM »
It's good to be informed about some of these "quirks" particular to cherry. I am very much in the early stages of this craft, and am grateful for all of the tips concerning the good features and also the frustrating ones!.......Much Appreciated!

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 06:56:11 AM »
Nice wood to work with. Like most fruitwoods will take a high polish. I struggle with stain colors on it. It will darken with age when finished naturally.

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 09:41:58 AM »
Very nice looking when oiled and exposed to sun/UV for a few weeks to darken. Almost more than any other wood, KEEP YOUR TOOLS SHARP! Just because it's softer than sugar maple, don't be tempted to hog off big divots with every pass of the tool. Cut fine, take enough time.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
Very nice looking when oiled and exposed to sun/UV for a few weeks to darken. Almost more than any other wood, KEEP YOUR TOOLS SHARP! Just because it's softer than sugar maple, don't be tempted to hog off big divots with every pass of the tool. Cut fine, take enough time.

I made an under hammer rifle for a "snowbird" from New Hampshire last winter and he wanted it done in cherry.  He said they're often called "New England Buggy Rifles" up there and they where often made with cherry.  I never researched it to see if he was right or not about the name. 

I didn't stain it; I just finished it with oil.  It has continued to increasingly take on a nicer color as it ages without staining.  You're right on about keeping your tools very sharp, it really helps in preventing splitting out.

Mole Eyes

Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 07:26:50 PM »

I made an under hammer rifle for a "snowbird" from New Hampshire last winter and he wanted it done in cherry.  He said they're often called "New England Buggy Rifles" up there and they where often made with cherry.  I never researched it to see if he was right or not about the name. 

I didn't stain it; I just finished it with oil.  It has continued to increasingly take on a nicer color as it ages without staining.  You're right on about keeping your tools very sharp, it really helps in preventing splitting out.

Mole Eyes

The few antique buggy rifles I have seen were short,easy to handle,almost like a pistol.
I think our Art Museum has one with a scope sight.

Bob Roller

Turtle

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 01:39:34 AM »
 My latest new England Fouler/militia musket started with a cherry blank that was already pink when new. Now that it's partially completed with linseed on the wood, it darkened a lot and looks real nice. It does have a lot of small voids and sap inclusions, but that gives it character. I'm waiting for it to stop raising grain and general surface unrest before final sanding, linseed, and finish. it doesn't want to take carving well, so I may not do much.
                                                   Turtle

jamesthomas

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 05:06:15 PM »
 So Ya'll just use Linseed oil to rub it down with and with age and leaving it out in the sun darkens it  up?. I have a Cherry Stock for a 16ga. Griffin Fowler Barrel right now  I only have the stock, barrel, butt plate and triggers so far, Haven't decided on what kind of lock to put on it, I'm a lefty so I might put a Bailes or Durs Egg lock on it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 04:46:55 AM by james e »

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »
So Ya'll just use Linseed oil to rub it down with and with age and leaving it out in the sun darkens it  up?. I have a Cherry Stock for a 20ga.  I Just have the stock, barrel, butt plate and triggers so far, Haven't decided on what kind of lock to put on it, I'm a lefty so I might put a Bailes or  Durs Egg lock on it.

I prefer using Chambers Oil Finish or something similar rather than linseed oil.  Yes, if unstained and oil finished the cherry stock will darken on its own with age and I think the color you get that way is more appealing than any I've seen on cherry using a stain.  I've made some cherry furniture using the same method.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Turtle

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 10:38:15 PM »
 My cherry stock  NY halfstock was nearly white when made and I ended up putting a little red stain on it because I was in too much of a hurry to let the sun darken it. My cherry fouler started out pink and darkened just right as soon as I put linseed on it. I certainly will put a finish over the linseed, I also like Chambers finish also. On maple, I put linseed on after the stain, then my final finish. I think it brings out the grain.
                                                    Turtle

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 12:51:55 AM »
Tom, I have said it here before and I'll say it again, a good piece of cherry is a joy to work with. A good honest wood that, once it stabilizes, will go where you take it and stay there. And, if your patient, with the help of old Sol, will reward you with its natural beauty without artificial enhancement.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Tom

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 11:39:25 PM »
Thanks to you all, for the helpful advice and sharing of experience!

jamesthomas

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 02:31:04 AM »
 Cherry also makes a beautiful shooting box, thanks Spiderman852. If you don't have one, get one! I just bought a couple for Christmas presents.

Hessian

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »
Would Cherry or Walnut be more correct for a Southern rifle?

Offline halfstock

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 12:48:44 AM »
Walnut  Just my southern opinion.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 02:16:07 AM »
Methinks Walnut is more common, but that Cherry, Ash, and Maple are just as "correct".  Suit yourself.
Hold to the Wind

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 02:24:16 AM »
Methinks Walnut is more common, but that Cherry, Ash, and Maple are just as "correct".  Suit yourself.

I would think that just about any decent plank that was dry would be used.These rifles were tools NOT show pieces.

Bob Roller