Author Topic: Re: ALR Over The Log Chunk Shoot 2009  (Read 42485 times)

Daryl

Re: ALR Over The Log Chunk Shoot 2009
« on: March 16, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »

: OK- it's about time, A? Hope everyone has been practising - we haven't even fired one shot from a chunk, so I expect the winner could possibly be from the States, but not likely. HA!
: Who wants to do this?
: I've talking this over with some of the guys, and have decided that since I'm on a disability pension & of limited funds ie: too many other expensive hobbies, I am requesting that entrants send me a $5:00 MoneyOrder in International funds - or merely cash as happened last year.  

: Rules:

1/.- Normal hunting-trail walk rifles only - no calibre restriction. No Match-type Chunk Rifles. No false muzzles.
2/.- There will be NO re-entries. Screwing up is part and parcel with shooting a match in Canada. I am not going to make any money with this postal match, so there is no point in a re-entry.
3/.- Patched round ball only. Open sights only - non adjustable.
4/.- Prone - means laying on the ground - with a front rest only (NO rear bags), using a 'chunk' of wood, log or adjustable rest for the forend or barrel. Front bag allowed. I do not see any reason to exclude a modern tri-pod-type adjustable rest as they offer no advantages over the rests used in Chunk shooting competition - many of which are adjustable.
4/.- Spotter's or 'bud's of your design may be used of course, as we may not be able to see the black around the 'X'. Place it as you wish on each successive target. You may shoot a group on a spotter so see where you are shooting and place it appropriately. The 'spotter' is yours & your design and is not scored.
5/.- Range 50 yards. Total 5 record targets, 10 shots - 2 shots only per target. This 10 yard closer range than normal is due to our use of our rendezvous rifles only instead of heavy match rifles, as well as most suitable ranges offer a marked 50 yard range.
6/.- Spotting scopes allowed, but since targets are replaced between shots, there is not much point.
7/.- Targets are posted 1 at a time for each shooter. Because there are 2 shots shot per target, there will be no 'doubles' ie: targets with more than 2 holes. Doubles add inches to the score(all are measured for that shot's score). If you double (more than 2 shots on one, do not shoot at all 5 targets but leave the appropriate # off one of the successive targets. All holes in the targets will be measured plus 2" will be added for each penalty. Double whammy - This means if 11 shots are fired, your string will have 11 shots measured + 2" will added to the measure. I repeat, if you double on a target, one of the returned targets must be missing that 'cross fired' shot or shots. I MUST be able to measure all bullet holes. Since there are 2 shots per target and I expect some close shooting, however I will be able to tell if 2 balls entered the same hole - they will not be 'exactly' in the same hole, trust me on that. I've been scoring match targets for 35 years, so -- I've seen the varmint.
8/.- Shaders are allowed.
9/.- All entries(MO's or cash) must be received by the 16th of July.  Leaving for Dixon's 22nd.
10/. - The bottom of each target has a box for recording data. Please mark one with your name, calibre used, load (powder), bullet(ball) weight - put in here the ball diameter. 'Notes' line should have patch material, thickness and lube. Do this on one of the 5 match targets only.
: 11/. - All returned targets must be postmarked 16th August or earlier. Scoring will be completed after Hefley Creek Rendezvous, which is around the 7th Sept this year.

: Participants send International MO's or cash along with return addresses to:
Apparently some Us postal money order suppliers really charge heavily for this, so cash works.

Daryl Sapergia
325 15ave.
Prince George, B.C.
Canada V2L 3W6

Daryl Sapergia

Edit - for infor about chunk shooting, what it is and methods for shooting this style, please check out this link.  http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol3no2/articles/mbo32-1.shtml
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:19:43 PM by Daryl »

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: ALr Over the Log Chunk Shoot 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 06:26:11 PM »
Sopunds like fun - and good shooting.  Under 4" is a tough string to make. 

Hey - who's running the ALR "Over The Log" (chunk) shoot this year?
U/R      ;D ::)

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 07:46:07 PM »
3 years on a row?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:29:15 AM »
Daryl,
I agree with Roger. You did such a good job last year, there's no sense trying to fix what's not broken.
Mark
Mark

ERH

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 03:02:40 AM »
Any one know who won that match?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:11:09 AM »

Militant_Hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:43:46 AM »
Any one know who won that match?

I think it was Neal Eddington.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:26:59 PM »
Mark Herman won with a 4.264"  This is why I said under 3" was a tough act to follow. Mark's target below..

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »
Daryl,
Neil is a local fellow who has only been shooting chunk for about 3 years. He shoots at our club and does just as well offhand. Glad to see you are going to hold the ALR chunk match again. I won't be able to shoot it this year due to major back surgery 3 weks ago. The doc says I can't lift more than 5-10 pounds and my rifle weighs more than that. It might be next season until I'm on the line again. There were a number of good targets shot last year, my string should be easy for someone to beat.

PS: Neil has said he wants to shoot your match this year!!!!
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:51:03 PM »
Sorry to hear about the back, Mark - had some of that myself - surgery, that is.  The recovery was a long one, that's for sure.  Be careful out there & get a gun bearer/loader to help.

Guys, as to beating Mark's target, I know I will  ::)- hahahahahahahaha - oh, sorry - bit of histeria there  :o.

All ALR members are welcome - I really think we should hold to that, unless there are extenuating circumstances - like, ahhhh - illiteracy, and, um, hmmm - that about covers reasons - open to excuses, though. :)

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:09:16 PM »
Daryl,
As to the gun bearer; I've tried to convince my 14 year old grandson that it would a nice thing for him to do for me. Only problem is when he gets to the line , he shoots it better than I do. I guess that's as it should be, we need more youth.
Mark
Mark

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 06:40:44 AM »
I think another ALR Chunk Shoot is a good idea.  I can't say as yet if I can commit
to it as yet, as I have a pretty full schedule already this year.  I'll set back and wait
to see what dates are being discussed, then if it looks like I can take part, I will. :)

California Kid

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 06:52:03 AM »
What are the rules?

cal.43

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
What are the rules?

Yes explain the rules for a dau (  dümmster anzunehmender user. In english: stupidest imaginable user. )

what type of rifle
which distance
what type of target
how many shots
shooting position
I´m limited to 50 and 100 m
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 02:15:21 PM by cal.43 »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 04:42:40 PM »
Daryl,
As to the gun bearer; I've tried to convince my 14 year old grandson that it would a nice thing for him to do for me. Only problem is when he gets to the line , he shoots it better than I do. I guess that's as it should be, we need more youth.
Mark
I figure a 21 yr old blonde girl would be just fine!  Come to think of it a 75 yr ol blue haired girl would work also! ;D

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 04:58:30 PM »
Roger,
Just remember: THERE'S NOTHING LIKE DEALING WITH AN OLD RELIABLE FIRM!!!!
mARK
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
y are funny old guys ;D - HA!  btw- same chunk rules as last year -  posted to the first post in this thread.

Those who don't have 5' of snow to melt off the ground, you can start practicing.  It will be a while around here before we can, trust me. Another couple inches of snow last night - getting tired of this snow - it's the 2/3rds through March for crying out loud!  Here's a shot of the front of my house from the street.  Still snowing.  My truck is parked over at the west side, to the right of the screen. Well, I guess you have to walk over to the driveway to see it - HA!  the plowed up bank is about 10' high. Good thing we've had some warm weather to drop the height a bit.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 06:10:13 PM by Daryl »

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
Smokingbuck- see the rule # 1 about match rifles not being allowed. You can shoot your 9 pound trail rifle - Doc says so.  The rule is due to this chunk match being 50 yards instead of 60 and since most of us have never shot chunk before.  It's a totally wierd game, laying down to shot, getting up, loading, getting down to shoot - up/down/up/down - not as easy as it sounds- and many of us are getting to the point where it's a lot of dang work.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 06:15:30 PM by Daryl »

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 02:49:37 AM »
If we're running the same time line, count me in for sure! :)

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 02:54:18 AM »
Daryl,
If there's any way I'm up to it, you'll get my targets. If not, maybe I'll let the youngster give it a try. I didn't realize we were shooting at 50 yards, last year I shot it at the traditional 60 yards.
Mark
Mark

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 03:03:42 AM »
Where do we get the targets?
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 03:16:31 AM »
Maplebutcher,
Keep watching the post, Daryl will keep everyone informed when to send for them. Last year we sent our money to him and he supplied the targets. I didn't hear about anyone not enjoying the fun of chasing the spiders.
Mark
Mark

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 05:09:09 AM »
Looking forward to it.  I am heading out to the Hatchie Run spring rondy in the morning.  Yall have a good weekend.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 05:30:14 PM »
MPLButcher- have fun.

We'll use the same targets & system as last year. I think I may not send a 'bud' or spotter target as most or many used something they could see better.  The scoring target is the important one.  If you want me to send the 'bud' I'll do so.  The targets are printed off the www.targetz.com site.  I'll find the page and # to help those not familiar with the target. It's good to practise on what will be used, however anything with an X in the middle will work.

OK- go to www.targetz.com  click on the URL link Targets, then page 10. Scroll down - we used targets # 10141 for score and 10142 for the sporter or 'bud'.  Shoot a group on the 'bud target, then place the bud over the #10141 target centering the group over the centre of #10141 target.  Shooting is prone, over a log, or other 'chunk'.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:00:26 PM by Daryl »

Daryl

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »
Here is the link to Muzzleblasts article on chunk shooting. What it is, and methods for success.  Good reading.

http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol3no2/articles/mbo32-1.shtml