Author Topic: Building a Double Barrel Flintlock Shotgun  (Read 71397 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Building a Double Barrel Flintlock Shotgun
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2016, 06:35:02 PM »
With all due respect to whoever wrote the book shown, using a rotary file (burr) to shape the wood near the tang is terrible advice.  Don't always believe what you read.  It doesn't take a skillful or knowledgeable person to write.  Sorry, but this sort of thing makes me cringe.

Jim

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
I agree with Jim...there's a place for power tools but this is not one of them.  Things go sideways in a hurry with power tools and wood.  Sharp chisels are the right tools for that job.  Much more control.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2016, 06:23:47 AM »
With total respect to Runar!
This guy would make Track of the Wolf close it's doors..........he buys nothing!
Makes a fine looking entry pipe for a shotgun out of a freaking piece of pipe  :o
Give me a break!
I'll bet he doesn't even buy nails.
I'd be afraid to park my old pick-up truck near him....every loose piece would be gone.
And in a day or two I'd see it on some fine looking gun.
Doesn't buy a butt plate, trigger, trigger plate, tang, barrel rib, trigger guard..... :)
Runar you are "THE MAN"
He makes all you other geezers newbies.
Thank you again for your very fine post.
My most sincere compliments.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2016, 08:01:16 AM »
While I don't prefer to use power tools at home building stuff that I do for fun, I can use power rotary tools without worrying about them getting out of control. Die grinders and all that is associated with them kinda go along with what I do for a living so I've gotten rather good with them.
Psalms 144

Offline draken

« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2016, 09:20:03 AM »
Runar, I'm simply amazed at your skill level. The ease with which you transform  random materials at hand into the exact part needed is simply amazing!   :) You remind me very much of my father.  He would definitely enjoy watching your gun come together.

My hat is off to you!  :) :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:39:35 AM by draken »
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2016, 09:15:46 PM »
Runar, what diameter and type of pipe did you use for that entry thimble?

Thanks, Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:23 PM »
With total respect to Runar!
This guy would make Track of the Wolf close it's doors..........he buys nothing!
Makes a fine looking entry pipe for a shotgun out of a freaking piece of pipe  :o
Give me a break!
I'll bet he doesn't even buy nails.
I'd be afraid to park my old pick-up truck near him....every loose piece would be gone.
And in a day or two I'd see it on some fine looking gun.
Doesn't buy a butt plate, trigger, trigger plate, tang, barrel rib, trigger guard..... :)
Runar you are "THE MAN"
He makes all you other geezers newbies.
Thank you again for your very fine post.
My most sincere compliments.
Fred

Well said, a honest craftsman using what he has and gets it done. I should apply his" get r done" attitude and get moving my projects!
Tim

Offline runastav

« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2016, 03:47:54 PM »
Hi All , and thank you for coments!
Hungry horse and Taylor, if I want a Double Flintlock Shotgun for shoting/Colleting I must build it myself ;)
Jim Kibler, like we say here in Norway some like the dauther and some like the mother and some like both hehe!And like I say, dont blame me if it skip/runover!
Curtis, itsmade from a steelpipe 32mm dia think from a lampfoot  ca 1,5mm thick
So the wedge inlays are made and installed, from high teck silver(Stanley steel  ;)) and yes old ford I made the nails
Runar

Use a original for copying

Offline runastav

« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2016, 05:35:46 PM »
Hi Guys!
Make the Wedge head the eysyway ;)
Runar

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2016, 08:46:42 AM »
Runar, looks great!  Did you weld or braze the head on the wedge?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline runastav

« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2016, 12:07:01 PM »
Curtis thank you, it is silver solder
Runar

willyr

« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2016, 01:21:29 PM »
With all due respect to Mr. Kibler and Mr. Sapergia, That book was written by Bill Brockway, one of the finest craftsmen that ever existed in this sport. If he used a rotary file to shape the wood, you can bet he could control it.

Be Well,
 Bill
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:37:51 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »
 :o He did make the nails! :o
The " Man " is frugal!

Talented he is!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline FALout

« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »
Runar, this shotgun is really taking shape.  Can't wait to see this finished.  Keep up the great workmanship!
Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
Bill:  I agree with you on your observations about Mr. Brockway.  I would simply caution a new-comer to this craft to acquire the necessary skill before attempting to use a power grinder.  I, for example, couldn't do it.  I know my limitations.  And the last thing I need is to do it fast.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »
Bill:  I agree with you on your observations about Mr. Brockway.  I would simply caution a new-comer to this craft to acquire the necessary skill before attempting to use a power grinder.  I, for example, couldn't do it.  I know my limitations.  And the last thing I need is to do it fast.

Speed is great,accuracy is final.

Bob Roller

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2016, 11:51:33 PM »
With all due respect to Mr. Kibler and Mr. Sapergia, That book was written by Bill Brockway, one of the finest craftsmen that ever existed in this sport. If he used a rotary file to shape the wood, you can bet he could control it.

Be Well,
 Bill

Bill,

I'm not familiar with Bill Brockway's work.  I'm sorry if you think I've disparaged his name.  I can say this,  I've been around the very best craftsman this endeavor has to offer and I can assure you the notion of using rotary burrs to shape stocks would be frowned on by all.  Carving tools, rasps, files, scrapers shaves etc. are THE way to go for this sort work.   Don't really care what you or Mr. Brockway has to say about it...

Runar,

I admire how resourceful and hard working you are.   And I absolutely love the saying you shared.  I'll remember that!

Jim
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:38:54 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2016, 12:56:17 AM »
Jim
Is that how you shape your kit stocks? Each to his own way of doing the work on a rifle. I too have looked at work by Bill Brockway. The end product was very nice regardless of the method used. We all have our way of doing things. Many don't post on ALR because of the immediate criticism if the way they do things isn't PC or HC. I don't use a rotary die grinder and a simple warning of how easy it is to take unwanted wood off a stock in a hurry would ha e been sufficient. Most of us use power tools in one for the other. Tim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2016, 01:25:40 AM »
Jim
Is that how you shape your kit stocks? Each to his own way of doing the work on a rifle. I too have looked at work by Bill Brockway. The end product was very nice regardless of the method used. We all have our way of doing things. Many don't post on ALR because of the immediate criticism if the way they do things isn't PC or HC. I don't use a rotary die grinder and a simple warning of how easy it is to take unwanted wood off a stock in a hurry would ha e been sufficient. Most of us use power tools in one for the other. Tim

I'm not trying to control a rotary cutter by hand when making stocks!  Yes, you can take the mindset, "to each his own" or if you take things a little more seriously, you try to learn time tested professional techniques. 

Jim

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2016, 02:16:04 PM »
Hmmmmm....if you where going that route perhaps use it with a dremel would give a little more control than on a big drill.I think it was more a warning to inexperienced builders that using one of those things could get away from you in a hurry.What ever works for you is the best motto but a smart man listens to advise from folks who been there and done that and also knows his limitations.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2016, 10:17:14 PM »
Mr Kibler,

It does come across as a disparaging comment when you say you don't care what certain people have to say on a subject.

I typed a whole rant about this but deleted it. This topic is about Runar and his incredible build. Keep up the great job Runar, rotary tool and all.
Greg

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:08:28 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2016, 08:08:44 PM »
Mr Kibler,

It does come across as a disparaging comment when you say you don't care what certain people have to say on a subject.

I typed a whole rant about this but deleted it. This topic is about Runar and his incredible build. Keep up the great job Runar, rotary tool and all.
Greg

Yes, a little more patience and kindness might be warranted.  

From my perspective...  I've spent more than half my life obsessed with this stuff; studying original work,  endless experimenting to learn the best methods, studying with those who we admire most, continually refining techniques etc.  This is not a hobby for me.  It's my profession.  This background is very different than the vast majority of those who participate here.   Patience can wear thin...

Yes, results are what matter and that's how we judge a person's knowledge and ability when it comes to building these firearms.  Let me just say the list of those I admire most is not too large. I respect and listen to what they say.  In my view, it would help some on forums like this to follow the same approach a little more.

I don't see this as a place to just pat someone on the back.  If something jumps out as being a ridiculous way of going about a task, I'm going to say it and not apologize.  

Jim

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:43:47 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2016, 10:20:43 PM »
Actually Jim, its refreshing, thank you.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline runastav

« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2016, 05:22:43 PM »
Hi all gunbuilding friends ;)
So its buissness  time, the breaches must be done but first I must resolder the rib
Runar
Marking the Flash hole before removing the breach plugs

And the remont/mont mark

lifting the loos rib

Done

Offline Telgan

« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2016, 11:59:25 PM »
Your touch hole position marking looks too high to my eye