Author Topic: Canoe Gun  (Read 24122 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Canoe Gun
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2021, 01:36:32 AM »
  Ya know it was originally a CANOE augar for fishing. Ya put the ramrod through the trigger guard an spin. Cut 6 inch perch holes perfect...!

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2021, 04:54:44 PM »
I don't know if this is allowed, so Dennis, please delete if it's inappropriate. 

This is a screenshot of a page from the Muzzleloading forum that shows a post by Matt Denison, former proprietor of North star West.  I would take this as the definitive statement on the origin of the term, "canoe gun":

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2021, 06:26:10 PM »
I don't know if this is allowed, so Dennis, please delete if it's inappropriate. 

This is a screenshot of a page from the Muzzleloading forum that shows a post by Matt Denison, former proprietor of North star West.  I would take this as the definitive statement on the origin of the term, "canoe gun":

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
The whole concept of needing a short gun to be able to stay seated while loading it is just plain silly. I never had any trouble loading a gun with a 48" barrel while staying seated in a canoe..... ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »
The saga continues. 

"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »
The saga continues. 

On and on and on. It's winter, nothing else to do.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2021, 08:42:55 PM »
Hey if youse got nothing to do you're welcome to come out here and shovel snow for me!  I even have a canoe, we can use it as a toboggan down the nearest gas pipeline.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2021, 08:55:52 PM »
Hey if youse got nothing to do you're welcome to come out here and shovel snow for me!  I even have a canoe, we can use it as a toboggan down the nearest gas pipeline.
I'm thinking of doing a Grizzly Adams TV marathon today :P  He was one evil SOB killing those trout..... I wonder if he used his canoe gun? :o