Author Topic: Want Info on My Rifle  (Read 4321 times)

oldgunsmith

Want Info on My Rifle
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:32:30 PM »
 I have  an old one. The barrel is 42" ,cal. 40. Full stock, striped maple, very plain. No ornamentation, no patchbox, all iron furniture, double set triggers. Toe plate and butt plate are staked in place. Weighs close to 13 pounds. It has two fore-end caps, first is iron sheet metal and the second joins the first like it was "poured" in place and appears to be pewter. On the top flat, between the rear sight and breech plug it is stamped J, McKee. Have been told he was from Mecklenburg County, NC.

Any info you guys have would be great.

John

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Want Info on My Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »
Only way to tell for sure is with pictures.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

oldgunsmith

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:16:31 PM »
will have to figure out how to post them here

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:02:16 PM »
will have to figure out how to post them here

This will tell you how....  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=43575.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:58:11 PM »
McKee trained under Zenas Alexander in Mecklenburg County.  He then moved to Buncombe County where  he made Appachlian School rifles.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

oldgunsmith

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:51:50 PM »
Am sending a few photos:

oldgunsmith

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:55:59 PM »
a few more:

host gif online

oldgunsmith

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 11:57:38 PM »
last batch:

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »
Looks like that gun has had a longer McKee marked barrel placed in the stock, I believe the original barrel was a bit shorter. I think that's why it has the extra added on pewter nose cap.  I don't know enough about McKee's work in the mountains to know if the stock is McKee's work or not, Mike Briggs could probably tell you.
It's a very attractive Mt rifle.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

n stephenson

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 07:25:05 PM »
Cool Rifle!!  Do you have any idea where it came from, provenance?  I really like the mounts , nicely made! . Nice Find!  Thanks for showing it.   Nate

oldgunsmith

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »
Mike --  I believe the stock and barrel have always been as they are now. This is truly a poor man's rifle. The only part of the barrel that is octagon is the part that shows. The bottom of the barrel (which still shows the hammer forging) is round.

Nate ----  I have no written provenance on this rifle. I purchased it from an estate about 20 years ago. Have had it in a museum in Mason County, Texas. This county is noted for the Hoo Doo War which was essentially a feud between the Anglos and the German settlers. Most of the Anglos involved were from Mecklenburg County, N C. Found it very interesting that this old rilfe would also turn up here from a descendant of the locals.

I have always wondered about the lock. Any info ?? Could it be a flintlock changed to percussion ??

John

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 08:14:10 PM »
The lock looks like it was always percussion.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 01:29:39 AM »
Looks like that gun has had a longer McKee marked barrel placed in the stock, I believe the original barrel was a bit shorter. I think that's why it has the extra added on pewter nose cap.  I don't know enough about McKee's work in the mountains to know if the stock is McKee's work or not, Mike Briggs could probably tell you.
It's a very attractive Mt rifle.

I am with Mike on this one....that stock had a shorter barrel.