Author Topic: Soliciting shooting bag ideas  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Soliciting shooting bag ideas
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:00:15 PM »
Now that I've got my trade gun behaving and running decently, I'm looking for ideas for an appropriate bag to use with it. I know that Indian style would probably be the most appropriate, but whites and Latinos are documented to have used them as well. It needs to be fairly simple to match my novice leather working skills, and at this time I only have cow leather.

So, if any of you learned gentlemen have some good advice or imagery I would be most appreciative of it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:08:17 AM by Clark B »
Psalms 144

Black Hand

Re: Soliciting bag ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:22:24 PM »
Single pocket with a flap - about 6-7"W x 8-9"H.
Button for the flap and a leather strap with a buckle.

Black Hand

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:23:22 PM »
The bag I made and use...

Offline webradbury

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:29:34 PM »
Black Hand, nice bag.

What weight leather is that?
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Black Hand

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 10:35:14 PM »
Fairly light - can't tell you the weight for certain, ~1-2mm thick.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 11:15:27 PM »
Blackhand, I have to admit that I like your bag. Nice and simple, utilitarian. Is it sewn inside out of just plain flat sewn? What did you use for dye?
Psalms 144

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 11:24:51 PM »
I call this my early VA bag and it is correct for the colonial period in any of the colonies.  It is a one piece, flat stitched up the sides with a welt that serves as a divider giving you two pockets.   The flap is also welted; meaning you stitch another piece of leather on the underside of the flap to give it some weight.   It is approximately 7" x 7".   I use 2-3oz veg tan cow hide   You don't have to decorate it.   

One side of the strap is stitched to the back of the bag.  The other side is attached with a double button, like a cuff link.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:28:09 PM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 01:20:31 AM »
  First, pour the powder from the horn down the barrel.  Oh, I see--I thought this thread was for BAD ideas!

Black Hand

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 02:29:33 AM »
Blackhand, I have to admit that I like your bag. Nice and simple, utilitarian. Is it sewn inside out of just plain flat sewn? What did you use for dye?
The color is the original color of the leather. The bag was sewn inside-out (I also added a ticking liner) and turned.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 02:48:20 AM »
Nice looking bags but where do you put the short starter?  ;D  :)

Black Hand

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 03:07:35 AM »
Nice looking bags but where do you put the short starter?  ;D  :)
The scrap wood pile...? ;)

ddoyle

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 03:22:53 AM »
I think I remember seeing your musket (it was pretty well made) on a porch railing when you first finished it up but I cannot remember the time period from which it dates? 

I think to generate the best ideas maybe we should consider time/location?

Really about anything 'could' be believable, anything from a case skinned rabbit, to a flour bag,  to a British cartridge box would have accompanied a Trade musket.

If it was me I would make a small bag of period correct material- big enough to hold 3-5 paper cartridges  a tommy bar/turn screw for the cock, a feather, and a spare flint.  You know enough to live in the bush happy, fed and defended for a couple months.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »
Thanks ddoyle. It's made ok. Full serviceable, with some first completed build mistakes that I'll get around to correcting at some point. Nothing major but they bug me. I like to think of it as a circa 1816 build.
Psalms 144

ddoyle

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 08:52:29 AM »

1816- I'd make the bag out of something that could have been a war souvenir secured by one the Snipe's/Norton's Warriors- I think I'd look to fine ladies pursuses or  any stock or altered military pouch/cartridge box Brit-french or American.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 09:08:58 PM »
That's a nice looking bag Mark.  I like the tooling and the finish.  Two thumbs up.   God Bless,   Marc

ddoyle

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 09:59:52 PM »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 10:30:54 PM »
Looks like a little Metis influence, great choice for a trade gun.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 03:30:08 AM »
My advice is to shoot for James Rogers quality.  If you are like me, you won't get near it, but aspiring to quality is a way to get better.  :-)   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 08:07:24 PM »
My advice is to shoot for James Rogers quality.  If you are like me, you won't get near it, but aspiring to quality is a way to get better.  :-)   God Bless,   Marc

Oh I'm not too shabby at the construction part, it's the design part that gets me. I'm certainly not a master at leather, but most of what leather I have stitched up has been done well.
Psalms 144

ddoyle

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 09:55:07 PM »
It does not need to be leather- I'd argue that an Ultralight musket designed to keep wieght down would be more correctly paired with something light and if not local then interesting to the eye.  Anyone trading with Europe was trading with folks who had access to lots of printed Indian Cotton etc.  Another- better then leather option- might be to use a small birch bark basket with a lid that overlaps- 100% waterproof. Birch bark and moose tendon or birch bark and some kind of local fibre.  Tightly woven willow would also work.

Save the leather bag for when you build a heavy trade rifle.