Author Topic: Moravian Gunmaking II - New KRF book by Robert Lienemann  (Read 11605 times)

Offline VP

Moravian Gunmaking II - New KRF book by Robert Lienemann
« on: May 14, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
The Kentucky Rifle Foundation is pleased to announce a new book, "Moravian Gunmaking II - Bethlehem to Christian's Spring" by Robert Lienemann. This book contains thirty years of research, 224 pages, that focus on the Bethlehem and Christian's Spring gunshops from 1750 to 1790. It contains thirteen rifles, a fowler and a pair of pistols form the gunshops which include the Edward Marshall rifle, Shumway's #43, an Oerter from Windsor Castle and two Oerter rifles never published and six related long arms. Robert includes a lot of details of the rifles construction along with sketches and critical dimensions for the gunstockers, collectors and students. I think you will find this to be a great reference and it is a limited edition. The book is now available on the Kentucky Rifle Foundation's website under the Store. You can order online with Paypal, credit card or with a check by mail. The book is $85.00 plus S&H.

VP

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Moravian Gunmaking II - New KRF book by Robert Lienemann
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »
Hi VP,
Thank you for the note.  Bob's scholarship is first class.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline spgordon

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 05:18:28 PM »
I've got a copy! The images in this book are simply spectacular--and of many rifles that haven't before been seen, including a bunch by Christian Oerter. Also fantastic photos of a pair of pistols produced by William Henry of Nazareth between 1780-1786.
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline blienemann

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 06:27:46 PM »
Many have worked hard these past few years to gain access to these fine old arms, and we are happy to finally share them with you.  I want to quickly thank many alr.com members and others. 

Mac, Steve, Patrick, Henry and others helped to create and distribute our first book, and begin work on this new project.  Kenneth Orr arranged a whirlwind tour of museums and homes to photograph arms, and he carefully edited all photos and images from a variety of photographers for a consistent presentation.  Ric Lambert and Gordon Barlow provided photography for several pieces, and Wes White, Walt O’Connor and Dorothy Shumway shared their files with us.  Summer Criswell Walter is our very talented designer.  Summer designed several issues of American Tradition for the CLA, and is designer for Museum of the Fur Trade encyclopedias.

Scott Gordon and Eric Kettenburg have contributed much to this effort, along with Ron Gable, Jack Brooks, Earl Lanning, Steve Hench, Alan Gutchess, Patrick Hornberger, Jud Brennan, Brad Emig, Brian LaMaster, and Van Pitman aka VP.  Other KRA and KRF officers and members have lent their support.  We have new friends in England who arranged access to, photographed and reviewed several Oerter rifle that reside there.  And many more who I fail to mention here.  This whole family of contributors hope you enjoy the arms and their history.   

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 06:39:11 PM »
Just bought mine!
Thanks for all the hard work,
John
John Robbins

Offline lexington1

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:11:06 PM »
I sent for mine. Can't wait to get it!  ;D

Offline rtadams

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 10:31:35 PM »
5-14-18

VP,

Who and what telephone number do I call to obtain a author's signed and dated copy of the lowest numbered limited edition? Did the author/publisher issue a leather bound limited edition? If the book is available only as you described, then please give me the web address and or telephone number.

Best Regards,

Robert T Adams
704-545-9190

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:07:19 PM »
I’m going to wait for an autographed copy!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 11:27:32 PM »
I missed out on Vol I. :'( So I ordered this AM....'spose it will be here tomorrow? :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline blienemann

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 01:13:25 AM »
Thank you for your interest in these old rifles - and the men and boys who made them.  Thanks also for supporting the Kentucky Rifle Foundation.

Limited in this case means that the Foundation anticipates only one printing - a fine cloth bound book with dust jacket, but no numbered or leather bound copies.  The first book sold out in several years, and hopefully this project will be equally successful for the KRF, so it might be wise to acquire a copy while available.

Re autographed copies, the author plans to attend the KRA ann mtg in Pittsburg in late June and the CLA gathering in Lexington in August.  He will be flattered and happy to sign books if requested - whether you wait to purchase the book there, or purchase earlier and bring along to those gatherings, or to other locations in the future.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 01:34:48 AM »
Just ordered a copy ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline blienemann

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 05:49:34 AM »
I was thinking of a few details that might be of interest to students, contemporary builders and restorers.  Moravian Gunmaking II focuses narrowly on arms that were – or may have been made at the gunshops at Bethlehem and Christian’s Spring between 1750 and 1790. There is a short introduction to Moravian gunmaking, and the typical tools, materials and techniques used in the two gunshops are discussed. This is followed by a brief summary of who was where, their roles and what was happening in the world around them for each year 1750 through 1790. Then come chapters introducing the individual arms, their art and history.

As we began collecting images and details of each arm, the many photographers and owners were given a standard format for photos and a questionnaire asking for details, materials, dimensions and comments. Responses varied, but wherever possible, key dimensions and construction details are woven in the text of each chapter. This should be of value to study, stocking and restoration, while still being respectful of those who have shared their treasures with us.

The typical narrative with photos includes length of barrel with breech, waist and muzzle size, bore size, rifled or smooth and relieved at the muzzle or not, location of sights, size and style of lock, buttplate size, notes re stock profile with details at wrist, lock mouldings and ramrod entry pipe, pull, drop and castoff, cheekpiece size and maximum thickness of buttstock, patchbox size and details, wrist dimensions, width of lock panels tapering rear to front, construction details, metal and wood finish and any other observations of note. In some cases a tracing of the buttstock is compared with other rifles, and supporting details are quoted from original gunshop inventories.

Even though stock patterns and “standard” mounts were used, no two of these rifles and smooth rifles are identical – including signed Oerter rifles from the same year. This is an important part of the story – these are handmade rifles with hand forged barrels, and the barrel, lock, buttplate and mounts pretty well determine the size and feel of each piece. Students and contemporary builders will note the variety around a common theme, just as each of their new efforts will differ slightly based upon components used and how they see the design.  Bob

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 02:24:57 PM »
My copy got here yesterday an though I just thumbed through it I can tell its a very good book with quality photos
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 04:41:34 AM »
I jumped on this immediately and it arrived yesterday.  So much great information and so much for a newbie like me to learn...and only one lifetime!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »
Got mine yesterday as well. After a first brief thumb through it appears to be an outstanding book. I'd like to see the featured  guns come out on a KRA DVD as well.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 10:07:58 PM »
Mine arrived a few days back.  Excellent work Bob.  How that many guns from the area were collected into one book would be a good story in and of itself. 

Compared to book 1, this one has a lot more history and description involved.  Great learning, and better than I was hoping. 

Just super!   God Bless,   Marc

Offline lexington1

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 10:17:34 PM »
I got mine yesterday. You definitely won't be disappointed in this book!

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 04:29:40 AM »
Looking forward to receiving mine, should be here this week.
Kunk

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 06:23:27 PM »
Got mine when I returned home yesterday! 

Fantastic book, with great descriptions, background and photos.  What a treat.  Can't keep my nose out of it!

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 01:03:16 AM »
Received my copy...Excellent book,look forward to some in depth study in the upcoming days.Thanks to all who's harsd work went into this great reference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch Yates

Offline blienemann

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »
There are a few comments made in the new book that might generate discussion?  The markings on the Edward Marshall rifle for example. 

Ever notice that the one signed A Albrecht rifle has CW engraved on the buttplate heel?  How early could that buttplate fit, and who or what was CW?

If you haven't noticed, there's a great discussion of Wm Henry, Jr pistols in a related post here.  With photos of other arms that seem to be part of the story. 

Art and Jan just posted details and a few images, including a list of arms covered, and one example. 

Thank you for your interest and support of our KRF.  We are fortunate that the KRA created the KRF, and for all the volunteer hours it takes to create, set up, print and distribute these various displays, books, CD's and coloring book! 

Thanks to the collectors, museums and historical societies who allowed us access to their treasures. 

And to alr.com and our hosts for sharing the info.  Great family here.  Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »
The Smooth rifle/fowler with the bayonet is I believe Dutch with the later addition of the Christian's Spring style brass box. I have a Dutch gun here I'll post some pictures of in a separate thread that has many of the same features of that gun.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 08:03:19 AM »
from the book -

Offline blienemann

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 10:49:09 PM »
and here are the thumbpiece and patchbox from the same rifle . . . with more engraving.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »
Ever notice that the one signed A Albrecht rifle has CW engraved on the buttplate heel?  How early could that buttplate fit, and who or what was CW?

CW means "Canada West"...likely Toronto, formerly called "York" I believe....he, he, he.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.