Author Topic: Manufaturing and Installing a Sliding Tumbler Safety on a Chambers Late Ketland  (Read 11780 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Hi Curtis.  VERY NICE!  I could ask if any of the students from last years English Sorting Rifle seminar are interested in have you do theirs?  See you in a couple weeks.

Thanks Ron!  And that sounds like a great idea, have everyone bring their locks to Bowling Green and we can set up an assembly line.  Perhaps we can charge something like $49.95 a pop!   8) 

See you there!
Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Curtis,
Another fine project and documentation.
One question - with your soldering of the additional metal on the tumbler, was the soldering temp low enough to preserve the temper of the tumbler?

Can't wait for your next adventure!
Jeff

Jeff,  I used a vice as a heat sink and was careful not to get the setup any hotter than necessary.  I used SWIF solder paste which has a pretty low melting point but is quite strong in my experience.  Brownells sells a low temp silver solder paste that would probably work as well.

As for the next adventure - I am working on making a trigger guard for the same rifle, I will try to post some photos in the near future.

Robby and David, thanks for the kind words.  David, I am always working to find distractions for you, lol!  You should go ahead and make one of the safeties.

By the way, FYI everyone: David Rase did the barrel inlet and ramrod hole for the English sporting gun the lock belongs to.  Never have I seen a nicer job of it!  The English sporting gun was started in Ron Scott's class last year at the NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar.  It was a fun class!

Curtis
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 04:55:42 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Greg Pennell

Another super “how to”...this should definitely be added to the tutorial section.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Another super “how to”...this should definitely be added to the tutorial section.

Greg
I agree. Would a shame to lose it.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels

By the way, FYI everyone: David Rase did the barrel inlet and ramrod hole for the English sporting gun the lock belongs to.  Never have I seen a nicer job of it!  The English sporting gun was started in Ron Scott's class last year at the NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar.  It was a fun class!

Curtis
[/quote]
Thank you Curtis for the endorsement on my barrel inletting.  I appreciate your kind words but you are not helping my transition from full time barrel inletter/part time rifle builder to full time rifle maker/part time barrel inletter.   ;D
David

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
David, I often hop around on one foot - on the account of the other one is often stuck in my mouth!  ;)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

brokenflint

I liked seeing the in person Curtis, again some nice work there and thanks for the photo tutorial.

Offline flatsguide

Very nice and impressive work Curtis. Interesting work on the detent spring. I was wondering how that was handled.
Richard

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
That's really nice work Curtis. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Thanks guys!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson