Author Topic: Considering a double rifle  (Read 2585 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Considering a double rifle
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 10:32:28 PM »
It has probably been two years or more ago on this forum, there was a riflesmith from Kansas I think who posted his method of regulating the side by side barrels of the doubles that he made. I think he posted videos of the process if I,m not mistaken. Cant remember his name though.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 01:14:03 AM »
Some time in the past there was a photo of a setup for breaching double barrels on a lathe.  Maybe it was Rolf who posted it.  I would like to see that again.

I think your thinking of Runar's post on building a double barrel shotgun.
Here is the link.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=38810.25

Best regards
Rolf

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 01:54:04 AM »
Years ago I built a Christian Beck double rifle for a customer. The neat thing about that rifle, it is a double rifle, but has separate sights for each barrel. Avoids the whole POA issue. Look in Hornbergers book on the Lancaster Rifle, there are pictures of it in there. The right barrel is  around .36, the left is smoothbore about .45, but no reason you couldn't duplicate the look with 2 rifled barrels.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2019, 07:09:36 PM »
Some time in the past there was a photo of a setup for breaching double barrels on a lathe.  Maybe it was Rolf who posted it.  I would like to see that again.

Jerrywh,
I THINK it was Mark Brier who posted that.He mentioned it to me in a phone call last week
but it didn't come up yesterday when I saw him at Friendship.His grandfather,Tom Dawson
built and regulated double rifles and was said to be doing a book about the when he passed
away in March of 1989. I sold him a Grant&Lang 500x3 and 1/4 years ago and he touched
up the regulation a bit and said it would put both barrels on a house cat's butt at 200 yards.
Bob Roller

PS
If I am not mistaken I think H&H in London had a man that could regulate a .476 Royal India
as they called it to plant both barrels on a postage stamp at 100 yards with scope sight and rest.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 07:14:12 PM by Bob Roller »

Eterry

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2019, 07:26:49 AM »
If I understand correctly; the process to regulate Nitro doubles involves a large "wedge" of material soldered on to the rib at the muzzles.  A torch, small hammer, pliers, goggles, striker, etc is all there at the sight in bench.
The rifle is test fired, and if the barrels need separating or brought closer the torch is lit, the wedge is heated and resoldered in place.  This continues until the 'smith is satisfied or gives up!!  Historically they wanted the bbls to cross at around 100 yards, IIRC.
The rifle is brought to the bench, the wedge is shaped down until not or barely noticeable, and the gun is completed.

There is a whole section for Double Rifles on accuratereloading.  If I hit the lottery I'd buy a 470 and a 500.  I already have the brass and 470 dies.

Eterry

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2019, 07:28:55 AM »
BTW, I have a 50 cal CVA Dbl Brl's. the tang, the locks, triggers, guard.  Its on the list of project guns.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2019, 03:10:13 PM »
Another thing about double rifles Tom Dawson showed me was that on a black powder
double rifle the muzzles will be usually closer together than on the wider spread nitro
rifles.He showed that to me on the 500 Grant&Lang I sold him and his 470 he used in
Africa.

Bob Roller

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »

Here is a link to what you may have seen.