Author Topic: Anyone ever alter their Lyman GP rifle?  (Read 8091 times)

Offline Paul from KY

• Starting Member
Re: Anyone ever alter their Lyman GP rifle?
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2021, 03:13:47 AM »
I bought a Lyman GPR in 50 caliber percussion back in 1995, and honestly, I can't fault the gun.  Looking at some of the recently made GPRs, I believe that quality control and fit and finish has gone down in the last 26 years.  I bought it because it seemed to be a better rifle than the TC "Hawken", and my opinion hasn't changed.  I own three TC "Hawkens" , two flint guns and one percussion, but if I could only have one store bought muzzleloader, it would be the GPR.  It is easy to denigrate these rifles as being non-historically correct but they serve the function of introducing an awful lot of folks to traditional muzzle loading.     

Offline Leatherbark

Re: Anyone ever alter their Lyman GP rifle?
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2021, 05:48:48 PM »
I might as well tell my GPR story.  I bought one in flint from Midsouth back when they had the best prices.  It was a .54 flint. I fought the soft frizzen and even with the black english flints and rehardening along with enlarging the touchhole it was just too unreliable even on a dry day. So I converted my flint GPR to percussion by removing the lock and installing a 5/16th x 24 drum in the touch hole after retapping.  I then ground off the pan on the lock and cut a halfmoon notch for the drum.  I then installed an L&R hammer from an Ohio style lock as it had the same throw.   The conversion worked out perfectly and it was a very reliable and accurate shooter for several years. I don't think it ever misfired. Much easier than a patent breech plug replacement.  Plus I was able to get full thread engagement of the drum inside the chambered breech.  I always used the TOW undrilled drums without the clean out hole and use the jig to place the nipple so I can really tighten the drum into the threads with locktite.

Bob