Author Topic: Single Lever Double set Triggers Made from a RR Spike  (Read 6995 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Single Lever Double set Triggers Made from a RR Spike
« on: July 05, 2019, 07:56:49 AM »
Well, the trigger plate is made from a spike at least.  ;D  I made this set of triggers for the Henry Albright rifle I started at WKU at the NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar.  These were made by eye, no measuring as I went along other than some occasional gauging proportions with a pair of dividers.  For inspiration as to the working parts I used some antique single lever triggers and Jim Webb's book on triggers etc.  Adjustments to the components were made as the triggers progressed, in a "sneak up on it" fashion, and the a drill was the only power tool used was to construct the set triggers.  The triggers were designed to emulate the set triggers on an original Albright rifle, from photographs.  The triggers on the original are quite wide and robust.

Starting to saw out the trigger plate:

Forged out a trigger shoe for the rear trigger, and cut the trigger to initial shape:

Heated and bent the rear trigger shoe:

Starting on front trigger:

Next I sawed a section off an old car hood spring, heated it red hot with a torch and stuck it in some wood ashed to anneal:

Drilled pivot pin holes for the triggers and tried initial fit on the outside, then marked for the trigger piercings in the plate:

Drilled pilot holes for the trigger piercings, then sawed the opening with a jewelers saw.  Cut the slot through the plate for the trigger blades etc.

I originally started with a front spring for the front trigger, it worked fairly well but abandoned the idea after I wasn't happy with the clearance allowed for the tang bolt:

Next the rear spring was cut and profiled similar to the one on the antique triggers:

Drilled and tapped for spring screw:

Refined the trigger shapes:

Found a metric screw I could re-thread to 4-40, then drilled and tapped the plate for the front trigger adjustment screw:

Just about there!  When I inlet the trigger I will remove material from the rear trigger blade to fit.  The triggers will be case-hardened when all filing is done and they are ready for the metal finish. I will probably move the rear of the front trigger spring under the rear trigger spring, it will take a little tweeking.  They work just dandy like it is but it will require less wood removal for inletting.

Finally, I used a nail as a rivet to plug the extra hole from the abandoned front spring.

Well that's all for now!

Thanks for looking, Curtis
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 07:47:04 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Adrie luke

Re: Single Lever Double set Triggers Made from a RR Spike
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 10:57:41 AM »
Curtis,

I respect the most you made it yourself!
Great job!

Adrie

Offline alacran

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 12:48:49 PM »
Thank you for sharing. Sometimes I make things just to see if I can do it, knowing in the long run it is cheaper to buy a ready made part. Amazing what can be done with a hacksaw and some files.
The triggers look great.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline yip

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 01:25:21 PM »
 what a great job, your a true craftsman and artist!!!!!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 01:43:13 PM »
what a great job, your a true craftsman and artist!!!!!

Wow! I agree with yip 200%.I got tired just looking at the pictures and S.E.A*
that went into this project.The square spike reminds me of old George Killen
here in Huntington along with the flat section coiled spring from a car hood or
maybe trunk.Everything he did was done in the way you described from hard
to use materials.I let him watch me make a "V"mainspring for a lock from 1075
and he thought it was some kind of magic that any spring could be made of such
smooth and easy to work material.
Congratulations on a hard job finished and working.
Bob Roller
*S.E.A=Sweat-Effort-Aggravation ;D

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 02:41:43 PM »
 That is great work, I especially appreciate the file/finish work, Very well done.

Tim

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
Curtis, thanks for sharing this great piece of work with us.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 03:18:45 PM »
Exceptionally nice. Where there is a will, there is a way. I'd have to add another $800 to the price of a gun if I had to do that for every gun I make.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline ericxvi

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 03:58:45 PM »
  Well done Curtis!
Here's a picture of how William Defibaugh made his front trigger spring. I copied these from an original much the same way you did. They need to be case hardened yet, but they work.

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 04:55:24 PM »
Really nice job Curtis!  Having made my own triggers once or twice, I understand ow much effort you put forth.  Beautiful.
David

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 05:06:23 PM »
Great tutorial, and you made it look so easy I may have to try it sometime.
Tom C.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 05:09:19 PM »
Does the railroad know that you're pilfering all their spikes?   :P
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 05:09:36 PM »
Very elegant, Curtis, and very true to the original.  You inspire us to try harder to do good work.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 05:18:34 PM »
Lots of hacksawing there. Nice work. I bet you wish for a forge now and then. I miss my backyard suburban forge. Took it down about 15 years ago.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 06:16:03 PM »
I began my blacksmith journey a few years ago so I could forge small gun parts like this. My first home made triggers were made from an old wrench and a discarded circular saw blade. They still function better than the store bought ones. The blacksmithing soon took on a life of its own.
Those are really nice looking triggers.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 07:28:00 PM »
Curtis
Very nice

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 09:34:37 PM »
Really nice work!  There's a HUGE amount of satisfaction gained from this sort of project.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Fowler610

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 10:09:48 PM »
Newbies want to know how things like triggers can be fabricated.  I think this belongs in the "how-to" section.  Nicely done, sir.

Offline helwood

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 04:22:36 AM »
Curtis,
Most Excellent!  You really are pushing the envelope.  The more you make yourself the more you understand what it took/s.  I am so pleased.
         Congratulations, Hank

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 05:22:59 AM »
Great work, Curtis!  You’re turning into an American Rolf!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2019, 07:16:38 AM »
Well guys, thanks for all your comments, and the pictures too ericxvi. 

The triggers actually went together fairly easily, and pretty quickly as well.  Practically threw themselves together, lol!  8)  It took a couple of days in the shop from start to finish.  Making them slightly oversize and gradually fitting them together was the ticket.

It is amazing how fast a hacksaw can work and eliminate a whole lot of filing.  I might add that I always oil the hacksaw blade or workpiece when I cut heavy materials, it goes faster probably because the blade stays sharp at least 4 times as long as without.  When you watch the smoke roll off the work from the oil burning you understand what kind of heat the sawing generates.  Heat will ruin a blade fast.

TOF, Last time I got chased down by the RR cops I gave them your name and address.   ;D

Rich, I have a small forge, just need to find some good coal.  I should probably just buy some good hardwood charcoal and give that a whirl.

Hank, you really should post some pics of your finished sideplate.  That was truly killer work there!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline G_T

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2019, 09:43:01 PM »
Now that's nice work!

Gerald

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2019, 10:51:44 PM »
Rich, I have a small forge, just need to find some good coal.  I should probably just buy some good hardwood charcoal and give that a whirl.

Some not-so-good charcoal might actually work better. I use lump charcoal in my forge and like it a lot, but found that the bag of more expensive all-hickory charcoal I bought to try out didn't work as well as my usual generic hardwood charcoal from Wal-Mart. I don't know why exactly that was, but the properties that make for a good grilling coal aren't necessarily the qualities one wants for heating steel up to 1500 degrees. The Japanese swordsmiths prefer pine charcoal, as it burns quick but hot, IIRC.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 06:48:23 AM »
Thanks for the info on the charcoal Elnathan, It like it when cheap things work well.   I will have to give it a try.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 06:50:18 AM »
I love when ugly ducklings turn into swans.

Great job Curtis!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell