Author Topic: .45?  (Read 7671 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: .45?
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2020, 05:30:33 PM »
I just got a .45 Southern Mountain Rifle, and I think the caliber will be perfect for what I do.  Back in the 70s when I got into BP it seemed the main choice was either .45 or .50.  I got the .50 Hawkin and loved it.  But I never hunted with it.  I have however spent a lot of my life shooting "too weak" or "obsolete" hunting calibers.  My deer hunts have been .30-06, as well as elk.  I have hunted elk with .30-40 Krag, as well ast .40-65 Winchester.  Honestly if you can shoot accurately I always kind of chuckle at the .33 Win Mag and 4000 fps Lazzeroni guns.  On Hog rifles, my mom's family were Low Country farmers in SC for hundreds of years.  The time we had a Pig Pickin my uncle brought a rifle out to kill the hog.  It was a .22.

I mentioned "hog rifles" above.  They are "smallish" caliber traditional rifles because they are for dispatching animals at very close range and shots to the head, as well as small game and such around the homestead. They are not hog hunting guns which would likely carry more lead.

AZshot I see you are new here, welcome to the forum, but the rules and mods don't allow us to "discuss" cartridge guns and while we can make passing reference to modern arms, usually a lot of cartridge naming will get our hands smacked because as soon as one guy does it, it leads to another guy replying/rebutting/mentioning his experiences or pet cartridges/loading data/ballistics with regard to such guns and then we have drifted from our purposes at ALR.

Pretty well all of us have plenty of modern guns experience, but there are dozens of better places on the web to discuss them.

So we don't, lest the penguin cracks us with the ruler again*.  Carry on.

(*Blues Brothers reference if anyone is too old or young to get it)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:43:41 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline AZshot

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2020, 01:02:13 AM »

I mentioned "hog rifles" above.  They are "smallish" caliber traditional rifles because they are for dispatching animals at very close range and shots to the head, as well as small game and such around the homestead. They are not hog hunting guns which would likely carry more lead.

AZshot I see you are new here, welcome to the forum, but the rules and mods don't allow us to "discuss" cartridge guns and while we can make passing reference to modern arms, usually a lot of cartridge naming will get our hands smacked because as soon as one guy does it, it leads to another guy replying/rebutting/mentioning his experiences or pet cartridges/loading data/ballistics with regard to such guns and then we have drifted from our purposes at ALR.

Pretty well all of us have plenty of modern guns experience, but there are dozens of better places on the web to discuss them.

So we don't, lest the penguin cracks us with the ruler again*.  Carry on.

(*Blues Brothers reference if anyone is too old or young to get it)

Hm, ok.  I just checked the rules but don't see any prohibition about mentioning cartridges.  I was making an analogy that medium power, like a .45 muzzleloader, works  fine for me.  So as not to say "it will work for you."  But I'll keep all my writing to only muzzle loaders. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 01:05:16 AM by AZshot »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2020, 01:02:10 AM »

AZshot I see you are new here, welcome to the forum, but the rules and mods don't allow us to "discuss" cartridge guns and ...

Hm, ok.  I just checked the rules but don't see any prohibition about mentioning cartridges...

I've been here twelve years and was just trying to be helpful from my experience on this forum. It's quite likely that a moderator would have said something or PM'd you (after editing your references) If I hadn't. I've seen these things happen. Do as you wish, I won't bother you again.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2020, 02:22:23 AM »
Wade is spot-on with his comments. Mentioning of modern stuff is fairly verboten here.
No harm done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2020, 02:51:59 AM »
He is. And I love me some WP, but we should be a bit gentle with the new blood. They’re the ones who will be buying up our collections...

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2020, 04:16:09 AM »
He is. And I love me some WP, but we should be a bit gentle with the new blood. They’re the ones who will be buying up our collections...

I see no harshness real or implied with my original comment on this matter.  I appreciate the feedback fellows but I really tried to spell it out nicely for him. I don't aim to run anyone off, ever. I should not have replied to his return. noted.
Hold to the Wind