Author Topic: Linen Frabric...  (Read 6393 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Linen Frabric...
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2020, 06:56:05 PM »
One word of advice that I'd like to offer...when you find a material that your rifle(s) really like, go back to the store and buy the whole bolt.  Yes, it'll be an investment but I can't count how many times I've found the "perfect" patch material only to run out of it, and not be able to buy more because the store is sold out and isn't bringing that material back in.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online Daryl

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 07:18:11 PM »
Just as Taylor says. If you find any of this material, red/white/light blue/dark blue ticking buy it.  This is all I have left and it shoots
extremely well and is easy loading in all my rifles. I measure it at .022" with my "middle" calipers. This material is no longer available
apparently, at least that is what the sewing centre said about it.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2020, 12:18:15 AM »
I use Blick artist canvas which is Belgian linen. Not sure how thick but it has to be .020 at least & is very tightly woven. Very hard to tear by hand. It is very expensive but you can shoot a lot on a yard that is 5 ft wide. A guy at our range put me onto it. He was shooting expensive Pedersoli pistols, and doing it really well, but I never saw him there again. It doesnt work for every gun, but when it does, the results are excellent.Roger B.
The Blick Belgian Linen Canvas comes in several grades.  Is it the portrait single weave,  smooth single weave, medium smooth single weave, medium smooth double weave, medium double weave, or medium rough double weave?  Only the bold fabric is 54" wide.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2020, 02:14:42 AM »
Medium double weave I believe. Unfinished.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2020, 03:36:29 AM »
I bought some white linen at Jo-Anns.  It works fairly well in my 45 Kibler SMR.  Regular .018 ticking works better.  The linen I lube with lambs tallow.  It measures somewhere in the vicinity of .013.  I can load the ball with just the ramrod if I hold it close while starting it  This linen will burn through in a few places but the patch was intact. It was expensive.  If I was using it to fight injuns it would work better than the harder to load ticking. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2020, 06:41:20 PM »
Best linen I ever had was some old pillow cases my mother gave me.
V.  dense and held up to the light, you couldn't see the sun through it.  Marvelous stuff.  .018" if I remember right.
No burn through at all, but I used deer tallow and that maybe helped.   

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2020, 05:07:56 AM »
I was told that Irish linen was what you should use, cause it has a tighter weave. Pure cotton.
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Online Daryl

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2020, 07:56:43 PM »
100% cotton works for me. I use mostly denim in 10oz weight, but have some harder weave light canvas, also .022" that works well.
Daryl

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2020, 09:03:39 PM »
Whatever the material, you want it to have a dense weave.  Like canvas.  My test is if I can see sunlight through a fired patch.  If I can, it's time for better material. 

Offline stretchman

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2020, 06:43:29 PM »
Bought some of the “diaper cloth” linen.  Shot well, but recovered patches were frayed.  Didn’t have a chance to shoot another target, so don’t know if this is a fluke.  Should there be any concern with the tattered edges of the patches?

Online Daryl

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2020, 02:45:14 AM »
I expect this was another 100yard target, stretchman. I see nothing wrong with the target and obviously from that
there is nothing really wrong with the patches, which appear to have done their job until the muzzle blast destroyed the
edges.  You can see most of it is just unwoven, not cut or burnt. Fraying happens to the edges, especially with such heavy loads.
 A 10oz or 11oz. denim would likely have have fared somewhat better.  If you are happy with the accuracy, then so be it.
I might spend the time trying denim in 10 up to 12oz. just to see how it does, in comparison.
If the linen is loading well, shot to shot, then that's the important thing.
 I see you used bore butter.  Many folks have found that stuff wanting and have switched to Neetsfoot Oil or Track's Mink Oil
as a better lube, especially for hunting in cooler weather.
Daryl

Offline stretchman

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2020, 06:44:26 AM »
I will get some heavy denim and give it a try. I figured the bore butter would draw some attention.  I really like mink oil, but was able to buy the lip balm locally without making an order from Track of the Wolf.  I have some diaper cloth linen precut and treated with neats foot oil, but didn’t have the chance to test them when I was at the range the other day.  All the testing is done at 100 yards.  To many times a load would shoot good at 50, but when tested at 100 the wheels would fall off.

Online Daryl

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2020, 07:04:35 AM »
"Lip balm" - spot-on - good one ;)
In my .69, with heavy loads, I found the Neetsfoot Oil to be a bit stiffer loading than Mink Oil.
I really like the minks.
Both work for hunting.
Patches saturated, then excess squeezed out.  I became prone to using an isolation 'wad' between powder and patched ball.
My .69 did not care, accuracy wise.  It was basically to prevent harming the powder and to maintain 'full' power of the load.
I tried the same in the .40 and .45 rifle and the accuracy went South with the wad.
I think as with modern guns, the larger bores are more forgiving of minor changes.
Daryl

Offline stretchman

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2020, 05:22:51 PM »
Funny that you mention the use of a wad with your .69.  Before finding decent patch material and polishing the crown the only way I could keep the rifle from blowing patches was to use a wad.  I used fiber wads to no avail, but discovered tow makes excellent wad material.  I would use enough tow to make an approximate .62 ball, place it on top of the powder charge and then send the patched ball down.  I was able to shoot some good groups, but never achieved the consistent accuracy that I do now.  Interestingly with the tow I could use a patch as thin as .010”.  That made for a very easy loading combination... no short starter required.  My only complaint with tow was being able to consistently use the same amount, plus it was another step necessary for the loading process.

Online Daryl

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2020, 08:42:45 PM »
I've never tried tow. I used card stock in all the guns. The small bores did not like it at all, blowing groups double size at 50yards. I mean, they
were still shooting 2" or so groups, but regularly double what single patch was doing.
I suspect the tow kept the fouling buildup to a minimum, even with the thin patches.
Consistency, though are a jewel! - especially with shooting ML's.
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2020, 01:15:30 AM »
Stretchman:  really like your rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline stretchman

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2020, 10:10:40 PM »
Thanks Taylor... I like it too!  Will try and get some good pictures of it in the next dew days.

Todd

Online Daryl

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2020, 03:19:52 AM »
Thanks Taylor... I like it too!  Will try and get some good pictures of it in the next dew days.

Todd

That would be great, Todd. I'd like to see more of it, too.
Daryl

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2020, 06:19:52 AM »
Most pure linen I have examined is too thin or loose weaved for my tastes.

Offline stretchman

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2020, 06:17:23 PM »
Panzerschwein I am with you on the linen.  In reading historical accounts linen is heavily praised.  I don’t think its made the same today as it was then. For now, I will go back to heavy canvas and try some denim  For the most part the canvas performs well, but I do find a tear in the center of some of the fired canvas patches.
Todd

Online Daryl

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2020, 08:06:34 PM »
A tear in the centre is quite odd.
I've not seen this.
11 or 12 ounce denim will give you the thickness desired, Todd.
Daryl

Offline stretchman

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2020, 12:45:48 AM »
I have a few pictures of the .62.  I will try and get some better ones soon.

Offline stretchman

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2020, 01:00:53 AM »
Here are pictures of the patches that were discussed earlier. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2020, 02:58:26 AM »
Strechman, I also like your rifle and those tears in the patches make me think they tear during the loading. Is that a possibility? :-\

Offline stretchman

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2020, 03:57:44 AM »
That has been my thoughts.  When shooting for long periods I notice that I have a tendency to push the ball on top of the powder charge with more force.  Maybe I am over compensating for possible powder fouling, or I become less concentrated the more I shoot.  Its always my goal to stop the ball as soon as I feel it make contact with the powder charge.