Author Topic: Nice Old Pouch & Horn  (Read 1708 times)

Offline bbhf

Nice Old Pouch & Horn
« on: February 11, 2021, 05:22:40 PM »
Hello to all: its been awhile since i posted anything and since i was able to rescue this nice pouch & horn from ebay, i thought a few pictures might be nice to see: the only history i was able to get was from the gentleman i got it from: he is in Colorado and the man he got it from was in Texas: a sales slip inside the pouch has a purchase date of 2001: any thought as to what region this may have come from? it still has a little bit of hair on the front body and flap and very thin leather: the back is thicker and the strap is an old harness: {replacement}? the horn is very thin and as you can see has had a tough life: some nice wear spots on it as it laid on the pouch: any instruction as how to bring back the leather?  hope you enjoy the photos: thanks, sk

skip

Offline Notchy Bob

Re: Nice Old Pouch & Horn
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 05:54:09 PM »
I love seeing these old accoutrements that show signs of honest use.  The horn is indeed a beauty, and the photos show its details nicely.  The pouch is a little harder for me to make out clearly.  It appears to have a gusset, sewed inside out and turned, and an interior pocket, right?  And was the flap made as a separate piece stitched on, or did it break off and have to be stitched later?  Is the strap stitched to the gusset?  I don't see any stitching holes in the back, either from an interior pocket or from attachment of the straps.  The leather of the front and flap, at least, has the appearance of being home-tanned.

Any comments you can provide about the pouch construction would be appreciated!

Notchy bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline bbhf

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 01:09:01 AM »
Bob, there is a center divider: the flap appears to be a separate piece as it attaches to the back and that leather is heavier weight: hair on the flap and the front of the bag: the front and flap were very thin and brittle: i was able to soften them up with a great deal of patience: the front and flap are of the same hide: sk

site to upload files for sharing

skip

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 01:40:20 AM »
Can't speak much to the bag, but the horn has definite southern overtones to it. If so, the whole set is most likely southern. Nice rig and a good find for sure. Thank you for posting the photos. Enjoyed seeing them.
Dick

Offline bbhf

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 03:01:13 PM »
Dick: thanks for you input: the strap is an old harness and sewn to the sides of the pouch: if it is a replacement then it looks like it is sewn where the original was: the horn straps [which have seen better days} attach by a hole punched in the carry strap: sk
skip

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 08:43:09 PM »
Thank you, bbhf, for the additional pictures and description!  It looks almost as if the pouch body was made of two pieces of similar leather, stitched inside out and "turned," and the thin leather facing was stitched to the front panel, effectively making an outside pocket.  It looks like the front panel of the main pouch, which serves as a divider, is somewhat larger than the back panelThis explains why I first thought it had a gusset.  I suppose the thin leather facing (the "outside pocket") would have probably been stitched to the front panel before the front and back were joined.  The flap could have been put on last.

This design looks like a good way to make use of smaller pieces of nice fur or leather, reserving these for the flap and facing.

A hunting pouch is such a simple thing in concept, yet the variety of designs and ingenuity of construction continues to astonish me.

Thanks for showing this fine old pouch and horn, and for taking the time to answer all of our questions!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline bbhf

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 11:17:58 PM »
That's what it looks like to me also: wish i was able to get more information from the seller about it but its nice to try and ID it from the construction of it: sk
skip