Author Topic: .58 round options  (Read 860 times)

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

.58 round options
« on: June 28, 2021, 11:08:47 PM »
I just went down to Bobby Hoyts and am getting my Green Mtn 50cal made into a .58 with a gain twist.  I was hoping to use some sort of copper sabot or conical but it seems there are none at least that I can find in this caliber.  Looking to use this for bear and am trying to get away from using lead.  Any suggestions????
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: .58 round options
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 12:35:26 AM »
 I think you can make this happen, but the bullets are going to take some time and effort to produce. And the other issue is you’re going to have to generate your own bullet mold, by reworking a mini mold, and eliminating the hollow base. You will have to restyle the bottom pin to allow the bullet to take a home grown gas check. Oh, and you’ll have to build a sizing die.

Hungry Horse

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 12:48:05 AM »
If you want to use copper sabots or some other non lead conicals, it would be a lot easier if you just went with a .54      There are a bunch of options in that caliber because of the multitude of modern design rifles that use them.  Personally I'm not a fan.  The expense usually translates into less than frequent shooting. As far as hunting is concerned, I have found round balls to work much better .  Are you avoiding lead because of local restrictions ?

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 04:44:09 AM »
For years now, I have handled and trained eagles both bald and golden.  I have seen the effects of lead poisoning in these birds from ingesting lead from either wounded birds or deer gut piles.  With all the many other negative stuff affecting nature, by hunters switching to non toxic shot is one little thing we can do.  Hence my reason for using copper which I use in my high powered rifle with no noticeable difference.
And after today’s research, I did call back to Bobby and am now going with a .54!  A lot more options with that caliber.
Cheers, Michael Kuriga