Author Topic: Do we desire a Kibler Hawken kit?  (Read 14734 times)

Offline moseswhite

Re: Do we desire a Kibler Hawken kit?
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2021, 06:08:44 PM »
The owner of the rifle has probably the largest J.Henry rifle collection that there is between him and his brother but they are closet collectors and I dare not mention there names . It will probably end up on an auction some day .

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2021, 08:50:37 PM »
I'm developing severe Hawken fatigue and Kibler isn't ever going to offer a Hawken kit.....  ::)

🙄🙄🙄

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2021, 09:34:20 PM »
A percussion SMR might require a chambered breech with that small barrel.  Especially in the .45 version.

Bob

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2021, 11:18:47 PM »
YES, between the Mississippi and the Rocky Mountain. Canada and New Mexico. Y'all have a wonderful day. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2021, 12:09:21 AM »
A percussion SMR might require a chambered breech with that small barrel.  Especially in the .45 version.

Bob
You beat me to the key board. I was going to suggest that a drum and nipple in a 13/16 x45 caliber barrel is a REALLY
bad idea ;D.Also,how many antique SMR's have a small,thin barrel?
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 02:40:39 AM by Bob Roller »

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2021, 01:36:35 AM »

Bob
You beat me to the key board. I was going to suggest that a drum and nipple in a 1/3/16 45 caliber barrel is a REALLY
Bob Roller

The barrel of a recent Kibler SMR is 0.925" AF at the vent liner.  That is a hair under 15/16" AF.

Offline maudite

• Starting Member
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2021, 04:49:29 AM »
I d like to see an officers fusil kit

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2021, 03:07:52 PM »

Bob
You beat me to the key board. I was going to suggest that a drum and nipple in a 1/3/16 45 caliber barrel is a REALLY
Bob Roller

The barrel of a recent Kibler SMR is 0.925" AF at the vent liner.  That is a hair under 15/16" AF.
I would still want a chambered breech for my personal peace of mind.I have made who knows how many locks and triggers for the "Hawken"rifles but the same amount of S.E.A. work that goes into those guns can produce a nice English style
sporting or target rifle.The target rifle usually had no rib with rod attached and no set trigger needed and while many had some extra nice locks a good or even quality lock can be made*that will work.
Bob Roller
S.E.A.+ Sweat,Effort,Aggravation ;D
*A lock with a well made but common mechanism will do as well as the
fancier locks with the bridle on 3 or 4 posts.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 06:35:06 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline flehto

« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2021, 03:56:31 PM »
Built a LHed .54 cal Stith Hawken that had a 36" bbl and was 1" at  the breech and 7/8" at the muzzle and the owner elk hunts the Rockies and it's an "all day gun". Never weighed it but it's quite manageable to carry and  shoot.....Fred

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:26:41 PM by flehto »

Offline KC

« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2021, 05:05:57 AM »
If someone had asked me my opinion what the outcome would be to the original question, I would have completely misjudged the results. I’d still want one, though. This was an interesting thread.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2021, 07:00:11 PM »
Fred, that is one of the best contemporary Hawken rifles I've seen...really nice work.  Regarding weight and balance, I too built one of Don's parts sets but mine was a flint fullstock.  My point here is that it too had a 1" to 7/8" x 36" tapered barrel in .62 cal. and the weight and balance were super.  Sadly, it was lost in a trailer fire, started by kids playing with matches in long grass.  The owner lost everything with zero compensation.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline flehto

« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2021, 10:51:33 PM »
Taylor.....thanks for the kind words...my .54 Hawken which is used for elk is a Pecatonica parts set and has a 1" straight bbl X 34" and have used it to kill a few elk in Colorado. It's a few lbs heavier than the Stith I built but still manageable. The last elk it killed was at a  paced off 107 yds and it ran 40 yards to me before it dropped.
The reason I chose the Pecatonica parts set was the Bplate.....it doesn't have the extreme curvature that requires an upper arm hold. ....Fred

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2021, 11:13:54 PM »
Nice rifle, Fred!
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline alacran

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2021, 02:09:44 PM »
Out of nearly 400 guns I have made I have shipped maybe 5 west of the Mississippi.
Could be that westerners don't care for the style of guns you make. Just saying.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2021, 04:46:35 PM »
Out of nearly 400 guns I have made I have shipped maybe 5 west of the Mississippi.
I am proud to be in the one of five club.
David

.58 caliber Brooks Game Creeper rifle.  Deadly accurate at 100 yds.

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2022, 05:13:27 PM »
Fred, I just stumbled onto this old post and I really like your finish on both guns posted.  Can you tell me your stain and topcoat finish schedule?  I like how the grain pops and the overall color and sheen.  Thanks, Martin

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2022, 07:43:41 PM »
I would respectfully suggest that a light weight Hawken Rocky Mountain Rifle (as opposed to their squirrel/local product) is not an authentic piece.  They were made for carry on horse back & shooting at great big animals, some of which wood kill. That being said, I love them. If I were looking to produce a kit of a true Western fur trade rifle, I would go for a Leman, Henry, or Deringer which might be more authentic at a lighter weight. That probably would entail making a better/new contract style lock, but Mr. Killer can do that if it appears to possibly be profitable. I think that we have enough hi-grade Hawken kits as is.  What we really need are some authentic Hawken breech plugs, especially in 1 1/8", & furniture.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Frank

« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2022, 08:24:47 PM »
I would respectfully suggest that a light weight Hawken Rocky Mountain Rifle (as opposed to their squirrel/local product) is not an authentic piece.  They were made for carry on horse back & shooting at great big animals, some of which wood kill. That being said, I love them. If I were looking to produce a kit of a true Western fur trade rifle, I would go for a Leman, Henry, or Deringer which might be more authentic at a lighter weight. That probably would entail making a better/new contract style lock, but Mr. Killer can do that if it appears to possibly be profitable. I think that we have enough hi-grade Hawken kits as is.  What we really need are some authentic Hawken breech plugs, especially in 1 1/8", & furniture.
Roger B.

Totally agree. Full stock Leman Flintlock Trade Rifle would be my recommendation.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2022, 09:06:36 PM »
Here we go again……..
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2022, 09:14:29 PM »
Ditto -- does not stop. 
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2022, 09:35:39 PM »
I'm thinking a close copy of the 1950s turner Kirkland Pennsylvania rifle would sell like hotcakes.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2022, 10:19:04 PM »
I'm thinking a close copy of the 1950s turner Kirkland Pennsylvania rifle would sell like hotcakes.

Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2022, 12:14:56 AM »

Always wanted one of  those when I started in the 80's.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2022, 02:03:37 AM »
Jim's plate seems pretty full already.  I do not see him having the time or a reason to offer any new models. IF he can sell them faster than he makes them already, why add more products?  I see it like a restaurant with a menu that has too many choices.  It is good to keep things simple if it pays the bills. 

I would like to see in no particular order, a late, slim, 40" BBL, percussion long rifle, a Carson size Hawken, and an English percussion target pistol.

Instead of CNC machining a patent breech, why not do the drum like CVA?  That would save making an intricate patent breech on a long rifle.  Make the drum out of good steel, like 4140.  I see no need to make the breech plug so tight as to make alignment of the drum a problem if the plug is ever pulled. 

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2022, 02:09:28 AM »
I’d like to see GM re-issue the 1969 Pontiac Trans-Am too, but I can’t see that happening either.
 That was a really cool car.
Stop Marxism in America