Author Topic: Cow horn to make a British light infantry powder horn.  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Penske

Cow horn to make a British light infantry powder horn.
« on: September 15, 2021, 03:22:47 PM »
Good Morning All,
Anyone know where to find a horn that can be used to create a British Light infantry horn. I have the brass spout but need a horn and someone to turn a base plug to fit said horn. Can anyone help me out?
Regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 04:09:25 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: WTB Cow horn to make a British light infantry powder horn.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 07:06:02 PM »
To make sure we have an idea what a British light infantry horn looks like, something like this??

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Penske

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 11:02:55 PM »
G
Yes that is pretty close. Only difference is the base plug is countersunk in the center with a threaded handle type plug  so the horn can be filled from the plug end. There are some good pics in DeWitt Baileys book of British small arms of the 18th century in North America.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 12:39:18 AM »
More like this one.

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Penske

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 03:28:29 AM »
Exactly, I have a raw horn along those lines. I need to form the base and determine the diameter for the plug but I think it is a bit on the large size. The diameter should come out at 2.5 inches or more I would expect. I would need to find someone to turn me the plug. I do not own a lathe to do it myself.

Offline RAT

Re: Cow horn to make a British light infantry powder horn.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 07:51:34 PM »
I never heard of these being called light infantry horns. In the books I have they're always referred to as artillery or storage horns. Used for priming cannons. They tend to be fairly large. A photo of one appears in the "Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution" that's 15 1/2" long.
Bob

Offline Penske

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 08:23:29 PM »
Hi Rat,
Yes you are correct in that their were horns of the type you mentioned but also British light Infantry were issued horns to load powder and ball from the pouch when not using cartridges. Also they were issued to Ferguson's riflemen, Simcoes Queens Rangers. They used the only two British rifles used during the war. The model 1776 rifle and the Ferguson rifle. Checkout DeWitt Bailey's book on British small arms in North America. He has a few pictures of light infantry horns along with a wealth of information about the rifles and smooth bores used by the British here in North America.
Regards,
Peter

Offline Not English

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 03:59:04 AM »
Hey all,  thanks for posting. I've been aware of them but knew absolutely nothing about them.

Dave

Offline emmagee

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 04:51:08 AM »
More like this one.

I own a horn exactly like this one.
Does anyone happen to know what the strap/cord/suspension looked like?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 07:05:54 AM »
Probably heavy cordage.
Psalms 144