Author Topic: Lock Repair/Rebuild  (Read 1566 times)

Offline snrub47

Lock Repair/Rebuild
« on: September 28, 2021, 09:13:07 PM »
I have this old lock in my scrap pile and I really like the looks of it...would like to use it to build a rifle for my grandson. It needs work, the tumbler is broke and all the screws need replacing, all the other parts seem good. Any recommendation on someone that could do this rebuild??

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Lock Repair/Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 11:05:34 PM »
Call Cabin Creek Muzzleloading. They are on the web.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 11:21:36 PM »
You could probably buy a new lock cheaper...just sayin.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 09:03:08 PM »
PM sent
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline snrub47

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 12:09:37 AM »
Deep, I did not receive a PM.....Try again.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 12:27:08 AM »
Looks like an old SxS shotgun lock
Psalms 144

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 01:26:40 AM »
I agree with Mike.   I have done such repairs on antique firearms and it is probably not worth the cost.   If it was my lock,  I would look for a new lock rather than go to the trouble of repairing it. 

Online 45-110

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 04:36:37 AM »
All the more reason to own a lathe!! Its part of the gun building skill set and if you are in it for the long run it becomes a reasonable, necessary acquisition.  You won't make money fixing these type of issues but it does deliver great satisfaction, and I really like the looks of your lock, surely worth saving.
kw

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 03:08:08 PM »
i have made about 60? of this style of lock and they were all "3 and 4 pin"target rifle locks.In 1980 the captain of the German Internatonal *muzzle loading team had a fine Brazier lock on his Whitworth fail when the main shaft holding the hammer broke and he asked me if I could make a new one, That was my first experience with lock repair and I was able to copy that tumbler to the
exact configuration and used the original "fly".Another 7 years went by and then I copied a complete lock of this type loaned to me by the late Lynton McKenzie and the one recently shown here by BrentD is one of the last ones I made.
Trying to repair a lock with a "major organ"failure with out a lathe and a milling machine to me would be a VERY difficult job and I get tired even thinking of it.
Bob Roller
That German team captain was also a Luftwaffe combat fighter pilot in WW2 and flew the Bf109 and the FW190 in combat and favored the FW190 and said the radial engine it used gave a bit of protection against frontal fire like the tail gunner of a B17 could put out :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 03:22:33 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 07:16:24 PM »
PM resent! It said it went through this time.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline snrub47

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2021, 04:54:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments on this topic.  DeepCreekDale , I have replied to your PM twice. No sure if these messages go thru or not....Thanks for your response to my request...