Author Topic: JAX metal treatment  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Kmcmichael

JAX metal treatment
« on: November 18, 2021, 03:27:52 AM »
Has anyone used this? Opinions?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: JAX metal treatment
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 04:14:09 AM »
Has anyone used this? Opinions?
For what purpose were you thinking of using it?  What metal, what color?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Kmcmichael

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 04:16:16 AM »
Black, I will be using it instead of rust browning a barrel and lock.

Offline Kmcmichael

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 04:21:06 AM »

image upload

I like the way it looks on this pic.
I have only rust browned barrel with the LMF stuff.

Offline jmf

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 04:51:15 AM »
Its the same principle as most cold blues like Birchwood Casey super blue etc. If durability isn’t a concern have at it. Otherwise a good rust bluing can be done at home with durable results.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 11:00:08 AM »
My vote is for Mark Lee Rust Blue -- it will last a lot longer ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Kmcmichael

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 03:52:46 PM »
I have no complaints against the Laurel Mountain rust browning solution I have used on the last two guns. I would continue to use it if I did not like the color of this.

Im not sure rust browning helps prevent corrosion other than holding oil a little better. I don’t want to build the tank to rust blue. I would like to hear opinions on this if anyone has them.

I have only used cold blue on small places and never saw it turn out as well as this.

I am sort of on the fence about trying it.

This is the stock I am finishing and think the JAX might look better.

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 04:42:34 PM »
If you're asking about Jax brass black, I watched Jim Kibler use it on all of the metal (not brass) parts for a SMR kit he assembled at the last CLA show. I liked the results and bought some from him. He has also used Historic House Parts Brass Black which I have tried. He said the Jax is better.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 04:45:55 PM by Hatchet-Jack »

Offline Kmcmichael

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 05:27:51 PM »
Yes, that is what I wanted the opinions on. Thanks.

Offline bobw

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »
Hatch-jack, did Jim recommend anything to protect the metal after the application?

Offline Joey R

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 02:32:39 AM »
I second Mark Lee Rust Blue.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline RichG

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 03:31:41 AM »
building a tank for rust bluing  is easy. I use a length off metal gutter on my propane camp stove, works great.

Offline sdilts

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 03:48:24 AM »
Here's my high-tech tank - a piece of galvanized fence post with an end cap sealed with high temp silicone gasket material and duct tape. Pour in distilled water and heat with a propane torch. Just finished this barrel today with Mark Lee's Rust Blue.

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 08:18:39 PM »
Hatch-jack, did Jim recommend anything to protect the metal after the application?
He did not sorry. I would oil it and use a good wax like Renaissance to protect it in damp or humid weather.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 10:46:08 PM »
If using a cold blue, I rub it in hard, refreshing the paste on the application pad of denim over and over and over again until I achieve a perfectly even 'finish'. Then rub it down under flowing cold water with clean pad of denim until all the 'solution' is gone, then dry with a towel then flush with WD40. Done.
Birchwood Casey's gun blue paste is what I like.
You could rub it back if you wanted, but it is fairly durable.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bobw

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 01:50:52 AM »
Hatchet-Jack, Thanks for the reply.  I have now emailed Jim asking this question.  The reason I ask, is because I had a barrel do some rusting after using his earlier product.  I’ve used it on three guns and this is the only one that rusted.  Of the three, I think one was a Getz and the other two were Rice, it was one of the Rice that rusted and to be on honest, I don’t remember how I treated that barrel.  I have used finish, wax and oil on different barrels and never had issues.  I did clean it up, retreated it, oiled and so far no rust.

Offline Kmcmichael

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 04:21:32 AM »
Here's my high-tech tank - a piece of galvanized fence post with an end cap sealed with high temp silicone gasket material and duct tape. Pour in distilled water and heat with a propane torch. Just finished this barrel today with Mark Lee's Rust Blue.

That is a nice finish!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2021, 06:45:27 PM »
Hi,
JAX makes a lot of well respected patination chemicals for metals so I suspect their blacking is very good.  I suspect like instant blues, it will work very fast.  However, most of the rust bluing and browning solutions are also very good and can produce excellent results.  A lot depends on the surface polish of the parts and the time intervals between carding.  The examples below are just Wahkon Bay rust browning and bluing.

dave   

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline bobw

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2021, 07:30:20 PM »
dave, would there be a possibility of you running through a tutorial on adding a spider sight like you show here?  A new thread would be nice. Yours appears to be set into the barrel unlike what I’ve seen others do by just laying it on the surface.  I saw Ron Ehlert add one years ago to a fowler barrel but not sure of the process anymore.  I have one to do and think I know how but it would be nice to see one done by one with experience!  I understand it would tough with pictures, unless your currently installing one, so just a write up would be helpful.