Author Topic: how many muzzleloaders are loaded in your house now?  (Read 7082 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: how many muzzleloaders are loaded in your house now?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2022, 01:26:03 AM »
I'm not going to say what I'm really thinking because that would probably get me in trouble with the ALR police, but ........perhaps someone can explain why it's OK to have a non mentionable firearm loaded in the house, [ for whatever reason] while having a muzzleloader in like condition is beyond dangerous ?    Frankly, I can't see the point of the post other than to poke the bears.

Maybe, because the average person can't tell when a muzzleloader is loaded.

Also, old technology. A flintlock can be fired with no powder in the pan.

Then there's some of us who feel no gun should be loaded in the house.
Thats fine, but many believe, like our founders, that it is my house and my business. Don't inflict us with your societal fears.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2022, 01:36:05 AM »
Robby, I don't have any societal fears.  If you take a second look at what I said, I'm agreeing you.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2022, 01:59:43 AM »
I'm not going to say what I'm really thinking because that would probably get me in trouble with the ALR police, but ........perhaps someone can explain why it's OK to have a non mentionable firearm loaded in the house, [ for whatever reason] while having a muzzleloader in like condition is beyond dangerous ?    Frankly, I can't see the point of the post other than to poke the bears.

Maybe, because the average person can't tell when a muzzleloader is loaded.

Also, old technology. A flintlock can be fired with no powder in the pan.

Then there's some of us who feel no gun should be loaded in the house.
Thats fine, but many believe, like our founders, that it is my house and my business. Don't inflict us with your societal fears.
Robby

Just answering the question asked by the OP.  I don't have much concern what others do. I may have an opinion and it's my right to express it.

Offline Bill in Md

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2022, 02:28:26 PM »
    OldMtnMan,   I carry it because I don't believe in going unarmed if possible,  I carry it for protection,  I carry it because I often plink at targets along the way.  I carry it because when grouse or rabbits are in season I sometimes bag a couple for dinner,  I carry it it becouse it is a beautiful tool and I enjoy using it, I carry it because it is my god given right and my right as a U.S. citizen and I carry it becouse I @!*% well want to.
    Best post of this thread!....Well said!!!
The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2022, 08:26:57 PM »
If the BATF doesn't classify muzzleloaders as firearms even if you live in a restrictive state or town having a loaded one shouldn't be classified as having a loaded firearm, right?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2022, 08:39:06 PM »
If the BATF doesn't classify muzzleloaders as firearms even if you live in a restrictive state or town having a loaded one shouldn't be classified as having a loaded firearm, right?

Nice try Mike but no cigar.  :)

Offline mushka

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2022, 10:10:17 PM »
No BP guns loaded n the house but there are five moderns in different places that are.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2022, 10:16:00 PM »

"One" would like to think so, but likely not.  Here, there are 2 schools of thought. Provincial and Federal. The Provincial stat says a ML is not loaded simply by having powder and shot in the
barrel, but must not be capped or primed.  The Federal government says powder and shot constitutes being loaded. That, is how the situation was some 10 years ago & still is with the Provincial
government, but I do not know what the current Federal 'tends" are.
Federally, anything used as a firearm, becomes a firearm. I'm quite certain this is the current "law".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 03:34:59 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2022, 12:13:25 AM »
Break into our house or property when we're home and find out! bring your own body bag!

Offline tallpine

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2022, 04:09:16 AM »
One, and tagged as such. I hunt my property and it will stay loaded until I kill a deer or the season is over

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2022, 04:56:18 AM »
   I guess it all kind of compairs to the use of the word  "biker"  there are those who make bikes a part of their very existence then there are those who put on the T-shirts and chaps who ride on the weekends.  Here we have some of us that make muzzleloaders our lives and then those who go to the range once in awhile.  It all works out and to each his own but I built the rifles to use, not sit in a safe.  If you want to keep yours unloaded fine but some of us might just want to use ours during the week.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 05:17:45 AM by walks with gun »

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2022, 03:35:54 PM »
   I guess it all kind of compairs to the use of the word  "biker"  there are those who make bikes a part of their very existence then there are those who put on the T-shirts and chaps who ride on the weekends.  Here we have some of us that make muzzleloaders our lives and then those who go to the range once in awhile.  It all works out and to each his own but I built the rifles to use, not sit in a safe.  If you want to keep yours unloaded fine but some of us might just want to use ours during the week.

That makes no sense. Someone can shoot every day and not keep it loaded in the house.
A PRB load is cheap.

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2022, 06:09:55 PM »

That makes no sense. Someone can shoot every day and not keep it loaded in the house.
A PRB load is cheap.   I use mine for critter control, I might not take the shot, might not get a clean shot for days.  I will take care of my own guns and you do what you want with yours.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2022, 07:15:50 PM »
That wasn't the point I was making. You make it sound like if someone doesn't keep the gun loaded they aren't a serious muzzleloader.

I'm saying that's not true.

Stop being so sensitive. I don't care at all what you do.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 08:19:46 PM by OldMtnMan »

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2022, 08:15:24 PM »
This thread has run it's course and should be pulled.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2022, 08:32:33 PM »
I agree Mike and deleted my clean/dirty dishwasher analogy. ;)
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2022, 09:33:09 PM »
Many threads go on without everyone feeling that meaningful information is still being shared. The original poster can always delete the whole thing. I think they can also lock it but not sure. Anyone else can either report ALR rules violations to moderators or stop reading new posts on a thread. I’m not sure we want to get into closing topics that feel annoying to some members. Do we have egregious rule-breaking here?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2022, 10:01:40 PM »
The original poster can always delete the whole thing. I think they can also lock it but not sure.

Yes, I've found that both of those can be done by the original poster.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2022, 11:02:20 PM »
They say, don't go on Wolverton mountain.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2022, 11:52:21 PM »
    Were just trying to beat the title of longest running post not involving "PATCH LUBE".  lol

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2022, 04:37:55 AM »
Glad it stayed civil........the End