Author Topic: Southern Mountain with tang extension over comb - The REST of the story  (Read 1898 times)

Offline AZshot

I was fortunate to get this rifle (and one more) new year's eve.  I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.  I don't know the maker, but Cave's Cove has been helpful so far in narrowing it down. 
Unusual features include the long tang over comb, the 7 1/2" toeplate with pointed end, and 7 1/2" heel plate and ramrod entry.  It's barrel is 42 1/4" and overall it's 68 inches.  Ask if you need more data!  (click photos for larger)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 03:54:16 PM by AZshot »

Offline AZshot

Re: Southern Mountain with tang extension over comb - Acquired New Years eve
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 09:44:32 PM »
A few more:

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 04:56:02 AM »
I seen a rifle very similar to this one on a video called Southern rifles plain and fancy. Don't remember if it had a name or initials on it or not.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 05:27:33 AM »
AZ I think Ray Knight is the guy that made the video. I'll try to find it and see if his rifle has a name or not.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 02:56:48 PM »
AZ I think Ray Knight is the guy that made the video. I'll try to find it and see if his rifle has a name or not.

I think you are talking about Ray McKnight and his DVR "Southern Guns Plain and Fancy"
I have his DVD around here somewhere if you can't find yours I will look for mine.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline AZshot

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 03:48:45 PM »
Thanks, and yes, this is the same rifle he had in those vids. 

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 09:59:57 PM »
  Really good looking rifle. Got a little Soddy in her along with some East Tennessee. Congrats..!

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 05:54:08 AM »
Is the stock Black Walnut?

Offline AZshot

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 03:13:19 PM »
Yes, I believe so. 

Offline AZshot

I've had this rifle over a year, old post. I had posted this rifle on another thread as a comparable one to look at, but the OP asked to not discuss it on his thread.  Fair enough. 

I was asked again about the type of wood.  I believe it's walnut.  It's very weathered from age, Ray McKnight had it for probably 50 years, and got it from his dad who had it the 50 years before that.  I bought it from Ray when he was 86. So this rifle has been in the hands of Southern Long Rifle collectors for a century!  Now it's a cherished memento of Ray.  We got to talk quite a bit about long rifles and his life long love of them and shooting in general. 

The story he told me is this rifle was found in Bearden, AK by his father back in 1923. He said "that is "bear - Den".  His father was a traveling agricultural agent, and he learned to ask about old rifles when he visited any farmer or store, and would buy them.  Ray said he learned about long rifles from his dad.  This one used to be stored by his dad near a wood stove.  At some time the stock fore end leaned against the stove pipe, burning it.  Ray got the rifle and carefully replaced the burned part with matching wood.  His dad said "you should have left the burn...it's part of it's history," Ray told me with a laugh.  So now you know....the rest of the story. 

He describes it in detail with pictures in his 1995 article, for the American Society of Arms Collectors, Southern Longrifles Plain and Fancy.
https://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/1995-B73-Southern-Longrifles-Plain-and-Fancy.pdf
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 12:16:53 AM by AZshot »