Author Topic: Story rifle & a poll  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Story rifle & a poll
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2022, 03:21:32 AM »
Thanks for the additional detail.  I'm thinking of the alleged 'Deshler' gun and some other pieces I've seen, which have a very deep box mortice and the round holes drilled into the bottom of the mortice, so my assumption would be that something would be stuffed in there to keep them in place, and those that I've seen with the deep mortice all look gunked up and grungy so the only thing that makes sense to me is that the balls were pre patched with greased patches.  This piece here doesn;t look like that, looks very clean and the way the mortice/lid interact, there would obviously be no need for added material to keep the balls in place. 

What a great project!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2024, 05:35:50 PM »
Super. Nice work.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2024, 05:54:22 PM »
Really cool mix of features. Very early lock by my guess, funky side plate, step toe, later guard?, very fine carving. Plus the cool box and lid. Outstanding.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2024, 10:02:28 PM »
Again, even after two years, you've done an amazing job.
I am beginning to restore a longrifle built and used by Isaac Hall in 1840, southern New York way west of NYC.  Stock is largely gone.  I do have the lock/sideplate section, and a good bit of the butt - very finely striped curly maple.  Looking for a blank now.
But my question for you is:  How in the world did you attain that wonderful color?  It is very striking, and is reministic of what remains on these pieces of stock.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2024, 10:04:27 PM »
Thinking if I was jmm76, I'd be making you an offer you can't refuse for it ;)

Offline godutch

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2024, 06:18:34 PM »
 That's a joy to see. What a beautiful job. 'So many interesting side points of interest throughout the whole thing!  Thanks for posting.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2024, 08:32:21 PM »
That tang carving is sweet, but I really like the sideplate.  Very super nifty.   :-)   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2024, 08:46:37 PM »
Boy, that’s a gem!
There is no need for a faque wrist repair!
I’m surprised at the narrowness of the butt stock, seen in the photo looking down at the top of the comb. I had thought guns from that period had much beefier butt stocks.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 09:09:32 PM by Bob Gerard »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2024, 09:56:57 PM »
Boy, that’s a gem!
There is no need for a faque wrist repair!
I’m surprised at the narrowness of the butt stock, seen in the photo looking down at the top of the comb. I had thought guns from that period had much beefier butt stocks.
It's a late-ish gun. 1790-ish, maybe post 1800-ish. That's why it's narrow.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2024, 05:04:00 PM »
Great story, project and finished rifle! Thanks for showing!
Tom C.