Author Topic: Cast-off? Where does it start?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Jakob

Cast-off? Where does it start?
« on: June 17, 2022, 02:13:34 AM »
The books I have suggests that the cast-off should 'start' at the start of the comb, but I've seen a few places that says it should start at the end of the tang.
Is one method more correct than the other?
Seems to me that having a straight wrist would be more natural to hold, but having it at the tang, would make a shallower angle.

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Cast-off? Where does it start?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 02:17:23 AM »
Jacob, I like to start right at the end of the tang, for the reason you mentioned.  Now, if you have a tang that extends through the wrist, and climbs the front of the comb, you might want to think that over a bit.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 03:22:58 AM »
 Conversely, I draw cast-off from the breech. This will mean that you’re going to have to cast off the tang, triggers, and trigger guard. Learned that from an old boy down in Woodbury Ky.. I’ve made guns with cast-off and without. Most folks don’t know the difference and it hasn’t made a big difference in how the gun shoulders. I believe that drop and pull length are the big difference maker.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 03:23:43 AM »
Here’s a build tutorial from Mike Brooks that I refer to when building.  It covers a lot.  https://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/tutorial.pdf

Offline Jakob

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 08:50:29 AM »
Conversely, I draw cast-off from the breech. This will mean that you’re going to have to cast off the tang, triggers, and trigger guard. Learned that from an old boy down in Woodbury Ky.. I’ve made guns with cast-off and without. Most folks don’t know the difference and it hasn’t made a big difference in how the gun shoulders. I believe that drop and pull length are the big difference maker.

Well, I've already inlet the breech/tang, so that ship has sailed :)

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 01:25:15 PM »
You can start at the end of the tang. The main end is at the butt. It’s a gradual thing coming into the wrist section. On early rifles I start at the front of the comb, but later style I start at the end of the barrel. I think thinner rifles look better starting farther up, but that’s just me. It’s really up to you how you want it. I have made rifles with more cast in the top than the toe to avoid bending the triggerguard so much.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 02:46:19 PM »
I used to put cast off on every gun I built.  Hardly ever do it now. Nobody knows the difference when they shoulder the gun anyway
 The most critical measurement for stock fit is the drop at the comb. Get that right and everybody thinks your a genius
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 02:49:40 PM »
On my LRS, the castoff starts  halfway down the handrail of the TG. The amount of castoff is 3/16". Could be 1/4" if the buttstock is thicker......mine are not. It angles off the centerline.......Fred

image upload

Offline Goo

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 02:54:12 PM »
I was taught cast off on a longrifle is basically no more than a 1/4 inch. that being said shooting positioning for longrifles is different than modern guns.  Face east and shoot north in other words parallel with your shoulders hold your head up high.  modern guns are short you can point them any way you want. Modern shotgun shooting is done by looking at the target and not the sights that is why you want stock fitting so the gun points where you are looking when you shoulder it.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 04:01:12 PM »
Jakob, since your current project is a Jaeger I rechecked my collection and found none of my original Jaegers have any cast.

Offline bobw

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2022, 05:52:52 PM »
If I put cast off in a stock, I start it at the rear of the lock panel.