Author Topic: Bucks or Lehigh Fowler  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Bucks or Lehigh Fowler
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2023, 08:53:06 PM »
Any specs on the first gun?

What specs you looking for? I would be happy to take measurements. It’s very sleek and pulls up well.
Width and height of buttplate, length and breech and muzzle diameter of barrel, bore diameter, rifled or smooth, rear sight or not. Thanks
AND, drop at comb and heel. Length of pull.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline DaveM

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2023, 03:04:48 AM »
Very nice fowler, thanks for sharing photos.

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2023, 03:38:21 AM »
Any specs on the first gun?

What specs you looking for? I would be happy to take measurements. It’s very sleek and pulls up well.
Width and height of buttplate, length and breech and muzzle diameter of barrel, bore diameter, rifled or smooth, rear sight or not. Thanks
AND, drop at comb and heel. Length of pull.

My in laws are in, so measurements will come at end of weekend!

@Mike if you use this for the next build from a plank class, I need a commission haha😂

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2023, 04:37:39 AM »
Great looking fowler, thanks for sharing your photos.

What are the measurements of the lock?

Are any markings present on the inside of the lockplate? Photos of the interior of the lock?

Thanks in advance!

Kent
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 01:57:55 PM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2023, 01:42:03 PM »
       Just a few thoughts.  I agree that your gun is certainly within the Bucks Co. classification, I feel that the original maker lived on the north western edge of the area associated with the Bucks Co. school.  His carving is generally along the lines of what one would expect to see on a Bucks Co. piece, there is an influence from over in Berks Co. perhaps one of the Angstadts.  Over the years I have seen and handled a number of "Bucks Co." guns that showed a lot of influence from other areas.  Northern Bucks Co. guns often show elements from Lehigh Co.  This maker seemingly went his own way  with the carving while adhearing to Bucks Co. archetecture.  That is my thoughts, I have been wrong before.      Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2023, 02:41:26 PM »
       Just a few thoughts.  I agree that your gun is certainly within the Bucks Co. classification, I feel that the original maker lived on the north western edge of the area associated with the Bucks Co. school.  His carving is generally along the lines of what one would expect to see on a Bucks Co. piece, there is an influence from over in Berks Co. perhaps one of the Angstadts.  Over the years I have seen and handled a number of "Bucks Co." guns that showed a lot of influence from other areas.  Northern Bucks Co. guns often show elements from Lehigh Co.  This maker seemingly went his own way  with the carving while adhearing to Bucks Co. archetecture.  That is my thoughts, I have been wrong before.      Ron

I agree with you completely.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2023, 04:37:19 PM »

Interesting thoughts, Ron. I appreciate it! I would love to nail down this “mystery maker!”

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2023, 09:46:39 PM »
Measurements as requested:

LOP: 13.5"
Drop at Comb: 1.38"
Drop at Butt (Top): 3.25"
Drop at Butt Heel: 7.75"
Breech: 0.96"
Muzzle: 0.60"
Bore: .45
Rear Sight: 6.5" from Breech
Buttplate Height: 4.75"
Buttplate width: 1.75"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2023, 10:59:25 PM »
Measurements as requested:

LOP: 13.5"
Drop at Comb: 1.38"
Drop at Butt (Top): 3.25"
Drop at Butt Heel: 7.75"
Breech: 0.96"
Muzzle: 0.60"
Bore: .45
Rear Sight: 6.5" from Breech
Buttplate Height: 4.75"
Buttplate width: 1.75"

Thanks!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2023, 06:17:36 PM »
Thanks here too. Looks like it will be a cheek buster with those measurements.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2023, 01:47:55 AM »
Thanks here too. Looks like it will be a cheek buster with those measurements.

Is your experience that bucks guns are cheek busters, Mike? I was thinking about trying to make a duplicate, but as a rifle

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2023, 03:39:48 PM »
My experience is anything with less than 1 1/2 inches of drop at the comb will hit you under the cheek bone. Cast off will help eliminate that as well as a skinny comb. I made a Lehigh with an 1 3/8 at the comb and it worked, but I don't know why, none of the others I made with that little drop worked.

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2023, 05:35:49 PM »
Typically lehigh combs fall forward from the high point which is further back, above the cheekpiece, than something like a Bucks rifle which has a straighter comb line.  So with a lehigh, as the gun recoils backward and upward, at the same time your cheek may move forward slightly (depending upon how you shoot) and the comb movement is falling away as it moves upward.  JMHO.  they can still be cheek busters too if you don't have enough drop to begin with.  A lot of the old ones that I've shouldered sure would have left me with a melon on my cheek.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!