Author Topic: Davison 10 Bore, Alnwick  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Splitear

• Starting Member
Davison 10 Bore, Alnwick
« on: May 01, 2023, 05:45:24 AM »
My first antique gun. It’s been refinished somewhere along the way, and I’m well pleased with it. Looking forward to patterning it and the hopefully taking a turkey with it. If anyone has information about the maker, I’d welcome it.

Offline Mattox Forge

Re: Davison 10 Bore, Alnwick
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 02:57:30 PM »
That appears to be is a really well done restoration, almost like it is not a restoration, but factory new, and hasn't been touched since it was converted to percussion in the mid 1820's.
I am pretty sure that started life as a flintlock, probably mid 1810's based on the lock and engraving style. The case hardened trigger plate and separate screw in guard are late flintlock features too.
Where did you come across this?
Thanks for sharing,
Mike

Offline Splitear

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 05:07:10 PM »
Thanks. I too think it was a FL conversion. I came across it at a gun show in Albany, NY, and found out that the seller was local and actually a supporter of my 4-H program. I touched base with him after the show and was able to have a wonderful visit with him and his wife when I stopped to purchase the gun. He said he thought the gun was restored "sometime in the "20's", but I don't know if that means 1920's or 2000's. Regardless, I'm very pleased with it.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 04:40:22 PM »
There is restoration and restoration which has gone too far and this is one it has removed over 150 years of history and made it something which it is not Built approximately 1830 has a percussion never a flintlock  at  Alnwick  or the Newcastle shop in Pilgrim Street., I own its twin same bore but in original condition  plus others 
Feltwad

Offline Splitear

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 06:17:34 PM »
Thanks for the info. I would love to see your gun.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 06:47:58 PM »
Appears to be and always was a cap-lock to me. Later on, the lock plates were level with the bottom of the bolster and they had a drip rail to protect the wood.
I would be looking forward to shooting it as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 10:46:05 PM »
Here is some information about George Davison from British Gunmakers, Vol 2, by Nigel Brown

GEORGE DAVISON, Market Pl,
Alnwick, Northumberland 1810 & 1826

also at Pilgrim St, Newcastle upon Tyne 1823 & 29
Collingwood St 1826.

Based on the engraving on the butt plate and the leaf pattern around the border of the lock, I would say this piece dates to the earlier part of of his time at Alnwick, in the early to mid 1810's.

What do the proof's look like?

Mike

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 12:05:59 AM »
Most  of his early barrels were plain iron round barrels  which resembled a 10 bore musket barrel  minus any proof marks only the letters of maybe the barrel maker not damascus has the one in the thread .
Feltwad

Offline Splitear

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 12:15:45 AM »
Proofs are hard to read, but look like Birmingham.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 12:41:30 AM »
Those proof marks  can be a debatable question  same for the name on the barrel no offence .
Feltwad

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 12:49:10 AM »
Post-1813 Birmingham proofs.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 03:15:01 AM »
About 70 yeas ago I had a similar one and I never have seen another one since.I do remember the nice wood but nothing about the lock as ever being a flintlock.The one thing I do remember is that it was heavy.
Bob Roller   

Offline Splitear

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 03:41:30 AM »
About 70 yeas ago I had a similar one and I never have seen another one since.I do remember the nice wood but nothing about the lock as ever being a flintlock.The one thing I do remember is that it was heavy.
Bob Roller   
This one is not heavy, only about 7.5#.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2023, 04:42:49 AM »
What's the bore like?
Daryl

Offline Splitear

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2023, 04:46:12 AM »
What's the bore like?
I don’t think I could ask for much better.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2023, 07:37:31 AM »
Beautiful gun. I'd assume the stock wood is walnut on an English gun like this, but the pictures make it look a lot like mahogany in a couple of the images. Can anyone tell for sure what type of wood it is... and how you determined it?

Shelby Gallien

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 10:07:06 AM »
English  figured walnut with a bore that has been lapped out
Feltwad

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2023, 02:36:45 PM »
Feltwad
I'll bite. How can you tell the bore has been lapped? I'd sure like to see the back side of that lock too.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Splitear

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2023, 04:46:26 PM »
Feltwad
I'll bite. How can you tell the bore has been lapped? I'd sure like to see the back side of that lock too.
I’ll pull it and get a photo tonight.

I don’t know anything about the barrel being lapped or really any of the restoration effort on this gun.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2023, 08:44:21 PM »
Lapping them is standard procedure, I thought.  A friend of mine, now past, sent a Very heavy 6 bore SxS can't remember the maker, something like "Baker"
to Holland & Holland back in 1976 for re-furbishing. The gun came back beautifully re-furbished, almost like this one but was re-bored to 5 bore and polished.
Looked splendid and almost like a new gun.  Re-proofed as well. Wil shot it in turkey shoots in Smithers a few times, using 1 1/2 or 2 ounces of 7 1/2's.
There was an included letter with the gun stating never to use hot water for cleaning, only cold 'tap" water. I read H&H's letter.
Daryl

Offline Splitear

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2023, 03:52:54 AM »
Here’s some photos of the lock.

host pictures

Offline Splitear

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2023, 06:12:43 AM »
Those proof marks  can be a debatable question  same for the name on the barrel no offence .
Feltwad
No offense taken, but are you suggesting they may be forgeries?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2023, 03:27:54 PM »
Good looking lock and I have made a bunch of this style mechanism until 2019.Thanks for posting this picture of the lock and the gun.
Bob Roller

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2023, 03:47:09 PM »
It is not my aim to nit pick members new additions  but I have restored several both George  and also Williams  Davison guns .On your gun restoration with parts added from other guns has gone too far which I would say has been done not too long ago  maybe 20years.This gun now has lost its antique value and heritage  with restoration  and I  say too any restores [If in doubt leave it be]
Some will like  this type of restoration like  yourself  all I can say now the damage has been done so take the gun and shoot it and enjoy it  with a load of  2.3/4 or 3 drms of powder to 1.1/4 oz  shot for both clays and game
Feltwad

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2023, 06:16:31 PM »
It is not my aim to nit pick members new additions  but I have restored several both George  and also Williams  Davison guns .On your gun restoration with parts added from other guns has gone too far which I would say has been done not too long ago  maybe 20years.This gun now has lost its antique value and heritage  with restoration  and I  say too any restores [If in doubt leave it be]
Some will like  this type of restoration like  yourself  all I can say now the damage has been done so take the gun and shoot it and enjoy it  with a load of  2.3/4 or 3 drms of powder to 1.1/4 oz  shot for both clays and game
Feltwad
I guess I need schooled again. What parts are "new" on this gun?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?