Author Topic: American Restock of a Dutch Flintlock?  (Read 743 times)

Offline eleejr

• Starting Member
American Restock of a Dutch Flintlock?
« on: June 08, 2023, 05:43:37 PM »
I would value your collective thoughts on this recent acquisition - overall length is 55" and barrel interior is about .70 at the muzzle. Brass fittings except for the iron trigger guard.  The barrel appears to be rifled and has a slot for a missing rear sight along with "No. 140" engraved behind the sight slot.  The stock is rather crude relative to arsenal-produced arms of the period and I'm not sure what the wood is - but it lacks a sideplate.

https://elee.imgbb.com/albums

« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 07:50:25 PM by eleejr »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: American Restock of a Dutch Flintlock?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 08:38:43 PM »
All of you fellows who only want to see Kentucky rifles better avoid that link..... ;)
 It sure looks like a crude restock to me, and painted brown too! Who knows when it was done.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 05:47:41 AM »
I've hardly ever seen a less informative set of photos. I agree with Mike though, crude restock. Whether it was done here is anyone's guess. For my part, I don't find crude very interesting no matter where it was done.

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 01:28:49 PM »
I like seeing guns from just about anywhere. Crude is right.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 02:05:22 PM »
Well I think it's pretty neat.  It almost looks like a rusty red paint color that has darkened to me, over dark wood, not a brown paint or coating.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline eleejr

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 03:31:08 PM »
Thanks, Gents.  Even I knew that it was crude but I wasn't aware that crude workmanship made it unworthy of consideration. Sorry, too, for the less-than-informative photos...some guidance as to how they might have been improved would have been helpful for future submissions.  I guess it will remain a crude mystery.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 03:55:05 PM »
My comment was, perhaps, a little harsh and I apologize for that. I was speaking strictly from my own point of view and, truth to tell, I have a couple of equally crude guns, saved because they incorporated parts that I found interesting. Like everything else, these are part of the historical picture and have a story to tell.

Offline eleejr

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 04:44:38 PM »
No worries.  My personal sense is that it's a very old restocking, done by someone who had the skill to do better work but for whatever reason, slapped it out in a hurry.  That may be all there is to know about it at this point.