Author Topic: New England militia gun  (Read 1815 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
New England militia gun
« on: September 11, 2023, 04:24:05 PM »
Here’s a typical New England militia gun from the early 1800s. Barrel is 42” and about .69 caliber. It’s in fine condition mechanically. Obviously had had a cleaning and going over in the past 50 years.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Majorjoel

Re: New England militia gun
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 07:34:12 PM »
Very nice Rich!  It is interesting that this piece keeps many traits of those half stocked N\E rifles and smooth bore guns.   

When you showed the trigger guard picture, the back of my mind was expecting to see that frontal tit that most N\E guns share.  Not there but what is there is very cool indeed!
Joel Hall

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 10:18:40 PM »
nice. Thanks for posting
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 05:28:30 AM »
A Massachusetts-made barrel, almost certainly by Asa Waters and proved by Luke Harrington. Harrington was the barrel prover in Milbury where the Waters factory was lo0cated. Also, Waters had barrel rolling machinery so was able to produce them in far greater quantity and his military contracts demanded.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 06:16:54 AM »
A Massachusetts-made barrel, almost certainly by Asa Waters and proved by Luke Harrington. Harrington was the barrel prover in Milbury where the Waters factory was lo0cated. Also, Waters had barrel rolling machinery so was able to produce them in far greater quantity and his military contracts demanded.
Thank you!  The lock is an import from England? Guesses on when made? 1820 plus or minus?

Andover, Vermont

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 03:02:37 PM »
Yes...that goes without saying. Unless they were reused from an earlier gun, the locks on NE militia muskets are all English.
I've had several of these at one time or another. The locks are actually huge and may very well have been made for muskets and, thus, for sale in America. They are much bigger than the locks seen on rifles or NE fowlers.

Offline TDM

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 07:11:24 AM »
What a great survivor, congratulations Rich!

Offline DaveM

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 02:58:22 AM »
Looks very orignal and in super condition!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 06:12:51 AM »
Lock looks strangely “Ketlandesque”
Psalms 144

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2023, 02:13:39 PM »
Rich,

You have a great example of the New England Militia Musket in that particular example, thanks for letting us admire it.

I believe that George Moller was the first person to do a deep dive into the New England produced militia muskets in his 1988 book Massachusetts Military Shoulder Arms published by Mowbray Publishers. Luckily, I still have the copy I bought in'88. That book sent me on a quest to find a good example of one of those muskets.

Kent
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 07:29:37 PM »
Now "THAT'S  cool. Barrel wedges and not bands.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2023, 09:32:42 PM »
Rich,

You have a great example of the New England Militia Musket in that particular example, thanks for letting us admire it.

I believe that George Moller was the first person to do a deep dive into the New England produced militia muskets in his 1988 book Massachusetts Military Shoulder Arms published by Mowbray Publishers. Luckily, I still have the copy I bought in'88. That book sent me on a quest to find a good example of one of those muskets.

Kent
Kent, all of the militia muskets in George's book belonged to me...as did most of the rifles. I designed and typeset that book. In fact, I was working on the same project but gave it up when George sent us his MS.

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2023, 11:40:05 PM »
Kent, all of the militia muskets in George's book belonged to me...as did most of the rifles. I designed and typeset that book. In fact, I was working on the same project but gave it up when George sent us his MS.

Well, you did an outstanding job Joe. It's a great book, I still refer to it from time to time.

Kent
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2023, 12:44:47 AM »
I found a copy of the book and ordered it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2023, 08:27:48 AM »
That is a fantastic wonderful specimen there Rich! Very nice Militia gun!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2023, 09:00:29 PM »
  Looks like the barrel was thinned from the cap out and the sight was used as a lug. I take it that at one time there was a bayonet fit to this gun. The more I look at it the More I like the looks of it.

Tim

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2023, 10:59:16 PM »
There was certainly a bayonet. That front sight is also the bayonet lug. These were called "training muskets" and militia muster days were "training days".

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2023, 11:49:19 PM »
Now "THAT'S  cool. Barrel wedges and not bands.

Between 2/3 and 3/4 of them have pinned (or wedge fastened) barrels. The ones with bands were probably made from rejected parts made by the Springfield Armory or the various NE musket contractors. Some have military style locks which may also have been assembled from rejected parts while others have an unusually large B'ham lock but still have bands.