Author Topic: Bonnet Rifle Removal... Wish It Hadn't Gone  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Bonnet Rifle Removal... Wish It Hadn't Gone
« on: October 11, 2023, 03:09:29 AM »
Before the moderators jump on me, I fully understand their desire to restrict the firearms posted here, to keep the site meaningful and on subject. But once in a while, I think they jump too quickly and overlook the value of a posted firearm as it relates to the American longrifle. Our mission statement's interpretation has been broadened significantly the past few years, moving away from a longrifle focus to begin including more military longarm and shotgun postings. Current guidelines for postings seem to use only the phrase "the focus of the board is only those arms... utilizing a side lock ignition system." We are no longer just "American longrifles" or even "sporting arms."

The Bonnet rifle that was posted was one of the most fascinating rifles I've seen in a while. Here was a rifle closely related to the American longrifle, showing how, at least for one builder, it had evolved into a later style ignition system... while still retaining more of the decorative American longrifle details than any military longarm or shotgun that I can recall being posted.

I was told by a moderator a few years back, when questioning why so many military longarms were being accepted on an American longrifle site that violated our Mission Statement, that it was important for this site to accept "more widely related" guns so that the site could grow and encourage new members. [I may have missed the wording slightly, but that was the general message I received.]   

I personally think removal of the Bonnet rifle was a mistake in this instance. It was a fascinating rifle, related more strongly to the American longrifle than the military longarms and shotguns that have been posted, and even some of the discussions on "high priced" European locks. It seems we may have developed a case of "tunnel vision," focused too singularly on the "side lock" detail, rather than the "American longrifle," and as a result we are missing opportunities to add enjoyment to our current members [and encourage new members, right?] by no longer giving equal weight to the "sporting arms" that, at least in appearance in our Mission Statement, should have the same importance as "side lock." 

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 03:17:13 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Bonnet Rifle Removal... Wish It Hadn't Gone
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 03:42:34 AM »
I will re-post the photos in the over the Back fence section for anyone who wants to see them.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 01:13:09 PM »
I understand that the Bonnet rifle is great rifle BUT it is a cartridge gun and cartridge guns have NEVER  been allowed on ALR since ALR was created. The problem with making an exception to our rules is that if it's done for one, other members expect to be allowed the same exception to be granted to them for a cartridge that THEY deem worthy of posted, it may or may not be acceptable to other members.

The "no cartridge guns" rule has been in effect through 4 owners, if current owner, Tim Crosby wants to remove that rule that is his call.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 04:02:25 PM »
The "no cartridge guns" rule has been in effect through 4 owners, if current owner, Tim Crosby wants to remove that rule that is his call.

Dennis

It stays, No change.

Tim

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 05:03:15 PM »
Lets go pre 1898 ;D

Probably the coolest roller I have ever seen. Too bad it's too evil for viewing here. I'm sorry many of you didn't get to see it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 05:10:21 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 06:01:34 PM »
This is the premier forum for the American Longrifle. The mission statement is very clear. There are other forums available to talk about the different forms of firearms, please use those to discuss those firearms there. The moderators were correct to remove that post and it should stay removed. Was it an interesting firearm, yes, but it should not have been posted on this forum.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 06:33:52 PM »
I am with Dennis and Tim on this one. I thought the rifle was fantastic in many ways BUT, if you make one exception you have opened the flood gate. This is the premier site for traditional MUZZLELOADERS, and we need to keep it that way.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 06:41:31 PM »
Well I guess I'm late to the party.  Anyone care to pm me a few pics?  I'd like to see this thing.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline dstock

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 06:51:37 PM »
I agree the rifle is fantastic but doesn’t belong on this forum.
God Bless
Doug B

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 08:32:03 PM »
Well I guess I'm late to the party.  Anyone care to pm me a few pics?  I'd like to see this thing.

PM sent
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 06:08:29 PM »
I understand that the Bonnet rifle is great rifle BUT it is a cartridge gun and cartridge guns have NEVER  been allowed on ALR since ALR was created. The problem with making an exception to our rules is that if it's done for one, other members expect to be allowed the same exception to be granted to them for a cartridge that THEY deem worthy of posted, it may or may not be acceptable to other members.

Dennis

I will sometimes mention such things in passing as a reference but its NOT a can of worms we need to open here so far as photos and discussion. There are sites dedicated to this. That is the place for them.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine