Author Topic: Herschels oldest Anvil?  (Read 18548 times)

PINYONE

Herschels oldest Anvil?
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »
Open for opinions- I like to look at the CLA Makers on AHS- alot of good stuff there. They seem to be smitten with anything Hershel House has ever touched. I believe without a doubt that Herschel is one of the best for his style. They recently posted a picture of an anvil that is his oldest rusted piece. I just don't see who would care- its just another one of millions. Next I would think its his first can of beer. Stick to rifles and accoutrements that he has made, just my opinion, whats yours?

Offline art riser

Re: Herschels oldest Anvil?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 05:56:33 PM »
if the site really upsets you don't look...

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:18:43 PM »
I for one admire and thank Art and Jan Riser for thier time and efforts of posting the pics and keeping the blog up every day.  

The last couple of shows I have been to, Jan has worked her butt off taking picutres for posting.  Were it not for thier efforts many a contemporary works would go unseen and unknown. 

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

PINYONE

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 08:18:38 PM »
If you guys read what I said, I gave credit where credit is due- just wondered what impact a unused rusted anvil has on the longrifle trade- there are thousands everywhere, should they all be featured as well? Herschels work stands for its self- he didn't make the anvil- don't get your feathers all ruffled fellers- I just guess I didn't get the point of importance. Also are you supposed to be hung by the neck if you don't see eye to eye on here. I think that Jan Riser is to be praised for her efforts when so many others do nothing. And she is a good craftsman, better than most of the guys. Well do yall agree or disagree? The Great Pinyon!

Scott Brush

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 08:19:55 PM »
I'm with you Ken, I go to the site every day and I really appreciate all of the study material Art and Jan provide. 

The photography is wonderful!

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

Scott

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:29:58 PM »
Personally, I'd would love to be able to camp out at Herschel's place for a week. Post anything you find on the place. I'm interested !  One photograph of his shop kept me busy for a long while just picking out bits and pieces strewn around. Give me more.

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:00:57 PM »
I think a lot of gun builders today owe a lot to Hershel   He's a part of our roots.    I think the shots that Art puts on his site are great.  Keep up the good work.
Gary Tucker

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
If you guys read what I said, I gave credit where credit is due
With every credit you give you also give a jab but I think there is a couple of reason you received such a strong response to your post. 

They recently posted a picture of an anvil that is his oldest rusted piece. I just don't see who would care- its just another one of millions. 
There are a handful of guys that really contributed a lot to make the hobby what it is today.  Hershel is one of them.  That makes HIS anvil interesting to some folks.

just wondered what impact a unused rusted anvil has on the longrifle trade
I must have missed where it says “pictures must have something to do with the longrifle trade”.     

They seem to be smitten with anything Hershel House has ever touched. Next I would think its his first can of beer. 
That’s a rather Smart A, negative comment.  What reaction / response did you think you were going to get? 

Also are you supposed to be hung by the neck if you don't see eye to eye on here.  No one hung you by the neck.  YOU ask for opinions and you are getting them.     

Art and Jan are doing the blog out of the goodness of their heart and for the love of the craft.  It’s free and belongs to them so they can post whatever they want.  If Jan wants to post pictures of puppy dogs, that is her business.  I think being critical of content because the pictures aren’t what you want to see is looking a gift horse in the mouth.  I’m happy for any picture they want to post.   Thanks Art and Jan!
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:33:50 PM »
Open for opinions- I like to look at the CLA Makers on AHS- alot of good stuff there. They seem to be smitten with anything Hershel House has ever touched. I believe without a doubt that Herschel is one of the best for his style. They recently posted a picture of an anvil that is his oldest rusted piece. I just don't see who would care- its just another one of millions. Next I would think its his first can of beer. Stick to rifles and accoutrements that he has made, just my opinion, whats yours?
Mr. Boyleston, I would appreciate it if you would not use the ALR site to criticize other websites. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but we prefer you direct your critiques directly to the other site owners rather than use ours as a means to convey them!
Dennis Glazener
ALR Admin
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 02:33:24 AM »
I like old anvils. I just wonder how old it is? I bet she is an old one.
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 03:00:26 AM »
I look forward to checking the site every day. Always something new or in the case of Herschel's anvil, old. I can't think of another site that offers such a diverse selection of historic and muzzleloading related photographs. I wouldn't mind spending a few days talking guns with Herschel--maybe while drinking a beer--even though it probably wouldn't be his (or my) first.

lew wetzel

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 05:19:48 AM »
if that anvil could only talk,think of the stories it would tell......priceless!!!

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 01:17:44 PM »
Well, I see it this way. If Hershel House never built a flintlock rifle, a lot of us wouldn't be here doing what we do. There are other builders who helped in keeping the art of contemporary longrifle building alive, some better than Hershel, some not as good. None are better known. It don't make no difference. These guys are all responsible for keeping a part of our American heritage alive and they should be commended for it.

If they want to show a picture of Hershel's anvil, I'll look. If they want to show a picture of his first beer can I'll look at that too. (I can't imagine he'd keep a beer can for all these years without making some cool 18th century doo-dad out of it that would knock your socks off.) It's not the anvil you should be seeing, It's the results of what it produced.

Centershot

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 05:42:19 PM »
Not wanting to fan any flames but knowing Hershel, I'd say he probably would agree with you.  I was lucky enough to get to use that anvil and a worse looking and abused swage block at Hershel's shop.  I still did the best forge work I've done yet.  Must be something to it. 

I took one of Hershel's classes a while back.  One of the students really messed up his gun.  Lock bolts drilled all cockeyed, inlet the breechplug before finishing the barrel inlet so it was out of line and too far forward.  Did that because he had striped the threads on the breech plug so he couldn't get it in all the way.  A real mess.  Hershel took the gun home that evening and fixed everything up by morning.  Never said a word of criticism or frustration to the guy. 

If someone wants to get pictures of Jerry's gravers, or Jud Brennan's first wood chisel I'd be glad to admire them too.

Sean

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
"I took one of Hershel's classes a while back.  One of the students really messed up his gun.  Lock bolts drilled all cockeyed, inlet the breechplug before finishing the barrel inlet so it was out of line and too far forward.  Did that because he had striped the threads on the breech plug so he couldn't get it in all the way.  A real mess.  Hershel took the gun home that evening and fixed everything up by morning.  Never said a word of criticism or frustration to the guy. "

I suppose that says as much about him as his guns or his tools.

I just looked over at that page to see what all the hoopla was about.  I'd personally say the picture of the anvil is well worth posting even if it didn't belong to Hershel.  Its a really neat early hornless anvil.  Its also a great site, that I regularly look at.  Great job, Art.

Sean

Offline elk killer

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 12:16:42 AM »
we should all be very thankful that we have the means,, to look at such things as Hershels anvil...from a thousand miles away..!!
only flintlocks remain interesting..

TENdriver

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 06:09:17 AM »
I love that site.  Who knows how many future H Houses are getting their fill from looking at those great photos. 

Ken, thanks for posting the link again.  I'd forgotten to go there for a little while and now I've got some neat stuff to look at.

BTW...please don't tell my wife about the anvil.  She already thinks we need to send Kentucky a relief effort semi trailer full of new tools to replace all their old and worn out ones.  She keeps offering to donate mine.

Photog

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 06:11:51 AM »
I'm just stepping into this world as we speak, I don't know Herschel from anyone. But, I did spend 3 hours today pouring over that site. As a photographer I can say that it has some GREAT photography and as a budding longrifle nut it is a great place to see a huge amount of GREAT work.

I say, show whatever you want! I'll keep looking!

Mike Norin

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 04:58:55 PM »
How do I get to the website to look at that anvil ? I like anvils and other working tools . We would'nt have very many rifles with out tools . So its nice to look at some of other folks stuff .

Offline art riser

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 05:11:39 PM »
The site is http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

You can scroll down the page and click on older post until you come upon the image. Or you can type Antique Anvil in the box in the upper left corner and then hit search blog. Touch on the photo and it will enlarge.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 06:29:04 PM »
Great website, no opinion on the anvil,but, Pineyone,I always enjoy hearing your opinion on the variety of related topics though.
  Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »
 Ya know...scrolling thru that site is kind of like strolling the aisles at the CLA show with daily additions. Thanks for a great site.

Tim C.

PS: Ever look at an old tool and wonder who used it and what they made with it? At least we know who used the anvil and what was made on it.

don getz

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 01:23:42 AM »
Art...please don't let disparaging remarks affect the posting of pictures on your site, we enjoy them too much.  The site
is just awesome.  I enjoy anything about Herschel, he is such a unique individual.  I met Herschel 31 years ago at the
Eastern Rendezvous in Brookvile, Pa., in the mud.  He is a legend in his own time.  I sure get a kick out of talking to him,
many times it is when he has a little too much of the brewed stuff, and it kind of hard to tell if he is looking at you or not.
Randall Mills sure had a nice display of his work, even show me an old squirrel rifle Herschel made with a percussion lock,
one of very few he ever made like this.  As for your site, keep up the good work....Don

Offline Kingsman06

• Starting Member
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 06:42:49 PM »
It is a great site.  I love to look at all the things Art and Jan post regardless of the direct relationship to rifles.  Keep up the great work!
Dave Zoellers

Offline TPH

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 06:51:53 PM »
I look at the blog EVERY morning, first thing, right after I check my email. I liked the anvil, there are very few orinal anvils of that type left.
T.P. Hern