Author Topic: Recoil pads  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Hawg

Re: Recoil pads
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2024, 03:49:45 AM »
How many muzzle loading shotguns have crescent butt plates? I don't think I ever laid eyes on one.Lighting up 5 drams of good quality black powder to move 2 ounces of bird shot at a big duck.
Bob Roller

That must be a heckuva big duck. ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2024, 03:56:43 AM »
Bob is referring to an actual duck gun, not a pea shooter 20 bore ladies gun.( which also don't have curved butt plates, BTW.)
The load Bob noted, would be an 8 bore load, I assume
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 04:30:55 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2024, 07:34:55 PM »
Bob is referring to an actual duck gun, not a pea shooter 20 bore ladies gun.( which also don't have curved butt plates, BTW.)
The load Bob noted, would be an 8 bore load, I assume
[/quote
The 5 dram and 2 ounce load WAS my 10 gauge load ;D.I know this has to go back over 60 years but I was shooting a J.N.Scott 10 bore double barreled gun and using that load and some people were watching me and several said they would not shoot that for any reason.
I had reloaded it and a young woman stepped up and said,"It looks more like a big push back than anything else and I want to try it."
She put it to her right shoulder,cocked one barrel and touched it off,The the other barrel.She said she liked that old gun and her father had a 12 gauge breech loader that really kicks and she hunted squirrels with it.I think her name was Melissa Woods and I hope she is still around.
Bob Roller