Author Topic: Henry Ledford, Davidson County North Carolina  (Read 14465 times)

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Henry Ledford, Davidson County North Carolina
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »
The information in this post was created in 2010.  It will all be covered in the new book on The Longrifle Makers of the Davidson School in 2019.

Thanks,

C. Michael Briggs

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:53:17 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Henry Ledford, Davidson County North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:33:25 PM »
Michael,
Great post and very informative. I had no idea that Ledford produced that many rifles. Any idea of how many worked in his shop?

Also very interesting about the Smith triggers. Question, did all the trigger look basically the same or did he custom make them per the buyers request?

Thanks
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

dannybb55

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »
This answers my questions about production capabilities. If he was a "lazy southerner" I would hate to get in the way of a "hard working Yankee"! ;D
 Up to one rifle a week, what was his shop like? Water power? Small, large?
 Thanks for any information. Danny

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 02:21:30 AM »
I have never seen a photo of his shop, but it did have water power.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:57:21 AM »
Very informative post. Was that nicely decorated rifle built as a half stock?

I always enjoy the photos and information you provide. Thank you.
Roger Fleisher

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:46:38 AM »
Michael, thank you for the excellent and most informative post.  I was once the custodian of a nice Ledford rifle and have been a fan of his work for some years.  The two you have in your collection are wonderful. I was particularly struck by your photograph of his house.  Great work! Thanks for sharing this with us.
Wayne Elliott

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »
In my opinion, the second rifle has always been a halfstock. I believe that most of Henry Ledford's early rifles look like Salem School rifles because that is where he was trained.  His house and shop were only around 12 miles from Old Salem. 

You must also remember that his work period extended into the 1850's.  Around 1840, the Jamestown School expanded to become by far the most dominate School in the area with 38 gunshops all at work in that years census.  Jamestown simply put eveyone else out of business.  Henry Ledford decided that if the people wanted to purchase Jamestown Rifles, that is what he would make.  Most of his later rifles look more and more like Jamestowns.  There is one on display at the Alabama State Museum in Montgomery, but is not labeled as such.

Michael     
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:20:36 PM »
 Two great N.C. rifles and write up. Thanks for posting them.

Tim C.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »
Thanks Michael,
Two fine guns, especially the second, and a great write-up as usual!
John
John Robbins

Bob Dewar

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 12:10:09 AM »
Micheal, What a great write up. The long rifle I'm researching is very much like your second Rifle right down to the Star. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will. The one big difference is the lock, which was made by Jas Cresser in Philadelphia

jcledford

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:38:39 PM »
Hi, I am Joel C Ledford a relative of Henry Ledford.  I would like permission to download/copy Pictures for purposes of Genealogy and other purposes.  I would like to have the right to use this information without recourse. 

I have researched for any information related to Henry Ledford for my records, however was not able to gain much information.  Henry was a descendant of one of three brothers believed to have come from Europe most likely Germany.  Their father who's name was John who stayed their.  Some believe they were from the Isles, however, As the Ledford DNA project Manager, I believe the Family migrated from somewhere east of the Atlantic coastal area of Europe.  The Haplo group is R1a1a.  The DNA trail is starting to become less murky, especially in the last 6 to seven years.

So, I am interested in locating specific information related to Henry Ledford.  If someone has researched and published any information, I would be excited to know. 

Sincerely
Joel C Ledford

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 12:47:42 AM »
Hi, I am Joel C Ledford a relative of Henry Ledford.  I would like permission to download/copy Pictures for purposes of Genealogy and other purposes.  I would like to have the right to use this information without recourse. 

I have researched for any information related to Henry Ledford for my records, however was not able to gain much information.  Henry was a descendant of one of three brothers believed to have come from Europe most likely Germany.  Their father who's name was John who stayed their.  Some believe they were from the Isles, however, As the Ledford DNA project Manager, I believe the Family migrated from somewhere east of the Atlantic coastal area of Europe.  The Haplo group is R1a1a.  The DNA trail is starting to become less murky, especially in the last 6 to seven years.

So, I am interested in locating specific information related to Henry Ledford.  If someone has researched and published any information, I would be excited to know. 

Sincerely
Joel C Ledford

Joel,
I can not grant you the permission that you request. I suggest you contact Michael Briggs via our Personal Messaging software. Michael is is a great researcher of all NC history and especially NC longrifles.
If you have problems contacting Michael please email me at tdg23113 at verizon dot net and I will do what I can to help you.
Dennis Glazener
ALR Administrator
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 04:52:26 AM »
Michael,
Great post and some dandy rifles. Unbelievable production numbers for him, great research! His rifles must have been in high demand and I can see why! Thanks for Sharing,

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 02:41:14 PM »
Michael,

I agree with all the comments above and I also found the subsequent discussion quite informative as it answered a question I had long thought about regarding the prolific nature of Jamestown Rifle's. The second rifle very much resembles a Jamestown.

Here a few questions about the second rifle.

Is the trigger guard engraved as well? Also, was the rifle originally Flintlock? The lock looks like it fits the mortise very well, but considering the architecture of the rifle, I imagine it could have been percussion potentially, correct?

Regards,

Bob

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
Bob,
This post was created in 2010.  Someone pulled it back up from that date.

To answer your questions, this rifle has always been a flintlock. The trigger guard does have engraving. The stock has a later Davidson profile, not Jamestown.  The rifle was made in 1838.  I have seen a few Henry Ledford rifles made between 1845 and 1853 that look completely like Jamestown rifles.  If that is what people wanted to buy [it was] then he and the other makers outside of Guilford County would make Jamestown rifles.  William Thompson and Elias Albright in Alamance County, Chordy Whiteheart in Caswell County, Thomas Gluyas in Mecklenburg County, and W.S. Manly of Rockingham County, all learned to make Jamestown rifles because they wanted to stay in business.   
C. Michael Briggs

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 11:09:38 PM »
Bob,
This post was created in 2010.  Someone pulled it back up from that date.

To answer your questions, this rifle has always been a flintlock. The trigger guard does have engraving. The stock has a later Davidson profile, not Jamestown.  The rifle was made in 1838.  I have seen a few Henry Ledford rifles made between 1845 and 1853 that look completely like Jamestown rifles.  If that is what people wanted to buy [it was] then he and the other makers outside of Guilford County would make Jamestown rifles.  William Thompson and Elias Albright in Alamance County, Chordy Whiteheart in Caswell County, Thomas Gluyas in Mecklenburg County, and W.S. Manly of Rockingham County, all learned to make Jamestown rifles because they wanted to stay in business.   

Michael,

Ah, I did not notice the dates. That is quite the rifle, I'm glad the post was brought back up,  thank you for taking a moment to answer the questions and add some more information.

Did these makers outside of Jamestown, who learned the trade of the James Rifles, utilize the same unique characteristics in some cases? Such as the long three screw barrel tang?

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 11:59:19 PM »
In most cases, yes.
C. Michael Briggs