Author Topic: 18th c Screw Plate Use  (Read 45022 times)

Offline James Wilson Everett

Re: 18th c Screw Plate Use
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2021, 03:06:07 AM »
Guys,

Just a note to bring this topic back to the top.

Jim

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2022, 11:03:58 PM »
Guys,

To bring this topic back to life.

Jim

Offline Bubblehead

• Starting Member
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2022, 04:39:55 PM »
Looking at the taps, do they also swage female threads? I see some with a gouge parallel to the shaft filed in and some without.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2022, 06:21:07 PM »
This has been a remarkable education in early screw threading.  I have run across a few screw plates over the years but all have been for the tiniest of screws. The largest perhaps a no. 4. Im will keep looking as I would like try what I’ve learned here.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2022, 09:46:40 PM »
Guys,

Yes the 18th c. taps do not cut the threads, they swage them.  The little grooved capture the small amount of swag dust, tiny metal chips, that you get in the process.  For the female threads the I.D. of the hole is much smaller after the threads are swaged.

Jim

Offline Bubblehead

• Starting Member
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2022, 08:19:32 AM »
I've just spent a few hours on the trial and error process of determining the proper rod size for the screws. It is not an easy task! Once that's done I'm starting on the various screw mills. Any tips on making them?

For your plate that uses modern threads, did you just drill and tap it as you normally would? And if so are you still swaging or does the modern version cut threads like a modern die?

Thank you again for once again sharing your wealth of knowledge here!

Offline heinz

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2022, 05:40:53 PM »
Jim, is the screw plate used to swage the tap?  I have thought about making a tp by swaging an annealed section of drill rod.
kind regards, heinz

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2022, 09:44:47 PM »
Guys,

Great questions here, I will attempt to provide answers.

Heinz:  Yes the screwplate is used to swage the tap. With the paired holes, one is slightly larger but with the same pitch.  The larger hole is for the tap and the smaller hole is for the thread.  The tap must be very slightly larger than the thread to provide a bit of clearance, otherwise the male screw will be quite difficult to install in a tapped hole without this clearance.

Bubblehead:  Check out the posting in this topic for January 13, 2016.  This shows an easier way to determine the correct diameter for the blank shaft before swaging the threads.

Jim

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2022, 03:47:32 PM »
This has been a very enlightening thread, James!
I have a screw plate that has lived with the family forever, but was unaware of how the holes ran, for making the taps.

Thank you!

Richard.

Offline heinz

« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2022, 12:40:56 AM »
Thanks James,  that simple pairing had never occurred to me.  I had thought it was two stages of swaging the screw, I get to laugh at myself on that one :-)
kind regards, heinz