Author Topic: Building an Alexander Henry Target Rifle from a Rod England Kit  (Read 53571 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Building an Alexander Henry Target Rifle from a Rod England Kit
« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2020, 07:03:10 PM »
Beautiful rifle Curtis.  I love the crisp clean lines and super fit and finish.  Nice.

Jim

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #176 on: April 19, 2020, 07:08:16 AM »
Curtis

I can send you some sized bullets to give it a go for fit, just let me know.

I wrap my bullets with dry paper, no lube no water.   Then I size them.   The sizing helps the paper I think stay with the bullet a little bit.

My procedure for loading is a damp patch then a dry patch after each shot, AFTER I drop powder and before the wad and bullet.

The bullet should slide down the barrel with little effort. 

During matches I have had to wet my patches more then normal to get a good clean barrel.  It is not good when you push through the paper patch with your bullet.   If that happens you just have to shoot it into the berm.

Fleener

Art, I won't say no to that offer!  I would like to try some of those bullets before I invest in the mold - I like the bullet design better than the pre-cast ones I purchased.  Rod sent me several PP bullets of different sizes, ranging from . 441 to .443 (before patching) and I will shoot all of those as well to see how they do.

I was watching your loading process at Friendship and it looks like the best way to do it.  One question though, why do you run the damp and dry patch down the barrel before the wad? Just curious.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2020, 07:23:19 AM »
Beautiful rifle Curtis.  I love the crisp clean lines and super fit and finish.  Nice.

Jim

Thanks Jim, that means a lot coming from a talented perfectionist!  I hope I am not about to screw it up, I have begun the checkering process and it is very tedious work.  8)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2020, 07:57:30 AM »
I went through a few designs for the wrist checkering layout, decided on what I liked, drew the outlines on the stock and looked at it a couple of days before I started cutting.

I do not have any training in checkering other than a little reading an watching some videos, so this should not be considered as a tutorial.  This will be my second checking job - scary stuff form me!  That being said, here are some photos.

I used some pinstripe tape to help start my primary lines, a tip I got from TOF. I positioned the tape and then used a scribe to mark the lines, then cut them with a 60o cutter.

After getting a couple of starter lines cut, I used double and triple line spacer tools to layout the lines, depending on how they fit the curvature of the stock.

After each line was marked, I chased it with a 60o cutter to deepen and correct minor imperfections.

More in a few days,

Curtis

Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #179 on: April 19, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
Hey Curtis. When you get a chance I was wondering if you could tell me the overall length of your stock so I can find an appropriate length piece of wood. Thanks

Justin,
The finished stock measures at just under 28" long.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2020, 08:19:43 AM »
Looking good Curtis.  Checkering intimidates me. I haven't tried it yet, but eventually.   Thanks for the measurement.

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2020, 02:01:20 PM »
Curtis,

It's good to see you take all the time you need.
I can see that in the results. It's a beauty!

Adrie

westbj2

« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2020, 09:50:09 PM »
Curtis,
I can't tell exactly from your initial photos but do you plan putting Mullered borders on the checkering pattern?   These are seen on virtually every period rifle.  Also the diamonds as you are likely aware are not pointed up, rather small flat tops on them....here is where the PIA comes in, getting and keeping them even and alike. 
Jim

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #183 on: April 20, 2020, 07:04:11 AM »
Curtis,
I can't tell exactly from your initial photos but do you plan putting Mullered borders on the checkering pattern?   These are seen on virtually every period rifle.  Also the diamonds as you are likely aware are not pointed up, rather small flat tops on them....here is where the PIA comes in, getting and keeping them even and alike. 
Jim

Jim, good to hear from you again!  The short answer is yes to both.  I still have an email from you where you mentioned that "semi flat top checkering and mullered borders were correct for the AH rifle".  I have collected a number of photos of chekering on AH rifles and similar and will be trying my hand at both.  And yes, I can see the PIA part coming!   :)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2020, 05:21:15 PM »
Curtis,
I just mentioned these in the other flat top thread.  I used these to do both of my rifles.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #185 on: April 20, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »
Curtis, is that ratio about 1:2.5?  Looks very "period".
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

westbj2

« Reply #186 on: April 20, 2020, 05:36:44 PM »
Curtis another checkering note.

Close examination of the checkering we are talking about will show that the angle of the lines from the surface is much sharper than  conventional tools we have available.  No one makes commercial flat top cutters that I am aware of. I have few antique tools that are close to 90 degrees. Conventional tools will be Ok for initial layout but the correct tools are not hard to make if you have a slotting saw.

I don't have a good example here in the shop now but perhaps Art Fleener would take a tooth brush to a protected area of checkering on his Rigby and send you a couple of closeup photos.

Jim

Offline snapper

« Reply #187 on: April 20, 2020, 08:42:37 PM »

Here you go

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

westbj2

« Reply #188 on: April 20, 2020, 10:02:28 PM »
Curtis'
PM sent

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2020, 07:45:33 AM »
Adrie - Thanks, I am going S-L-O-W because I'm intimidated by checkering!

TOF - looks like those could be handy, I could make something similar.

Snapper - thanks for the photos.

Craig - probably closer to 1:2.75, however the optics change with the curve of the pistol grip

Jim - thanks for the info and the PM's.  I have started cutting with a 90o tool but haven't gone too deep yet, I will look at my options where to go from here.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2020, 05:24:38 PM »
The style of checking on these guns is something I have found to be fascinating. I have collected a good many pictures and handled quite a few of the rifles, always looking at the subtle variety of the work done.

While the flat bottomed valley is common, it is not always the style. The same can be said for the flat tops of the diamonds, not always. I propose that many of the rifles show flat topped diamonds only because English walnut is very soft, and the rifles have been handled often in the past 150 years. I have seen in photographs, and in person, that on close examination the flat topped diamonds vary based on how the gun was handled. In places where the owner did not handle the rifle, diamonds are quite sharp. Where the handling was often, such as the thumb of the trigger hand, the diamonds are clearly worn. Even when compared to diamonds just a few rows away.

You can see on Snapper's Rigby where the checking is not worn, the facets are quite sharp.

On this Kerr, the checking is worn everywhere. The rifle was used heavily, though well cared for. The diamonds are soft and rounded all over the rifle.

This Whitworth shows the difference quite well. The same checking on the bottom, where the support hand would grasp the rifle is worn very flat. The top line of diamonds are as sharp as the day the checker cut them.

Here is the checking on a Thomas Turner Military target rifle that is coarse, with sharp diamonds, and no flat bottom to the valley.

Last, this beautiful Edge rifle, where you can clearly make out the difference. The circled checking is sharp pointed, a very narrow flat bottom valley, and where the owners thumb rested the points are nearly worn away. I don't think this is a lapse of workmanship simply based on the high quality of the other work on this rifle.

Overall, I would be hesitant to label all English sporting or target rifles as having one identifiable type of checking. I think the differences in the "Brand", craftsman's tools, and customer preferences, played a large part in how the rifle was checked. The borders can vary as much as the diamonds, though nearly all are bordered. The only exceptions I have seen are the tops of the forearm on military stocked target rifles. Almost all I have pictures of show the checking runs out the top line of the stock. Of course, I could be crazy too.

Oddly, looking through my photos last night I found two different checking styles on Rigby rifles. One was Snapper's, and another I found on an auction site. Both had broken hammers!

I hope this is of help to you Curtis. If your checking is as nice as the rest of your work, the job will be well done.

DAve

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2020, 06:46:48 AM »
Lots of good info there Dave!  And photos too.  It has also been my observation that there is a range of variation in that period's checkering, even on guns by the same manufacturer. In true English form, checkering was done by an persons who likely did nothing other than checker, and each individual often had a slightly different style.  I have seen some checkering on high quality guns that does not look that good under close examination.

However, there is one caveat that must be taken under consideration, all of these original guns have been around for 150-160 years or more, many have seen a lot of use, and a large number of them have been refinished one or more times and has had the checkering touched up.  Some even have been largely or completely re-cut.  Fortunately there are still some that have been mostly untouched!

Thanks for the input, Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2020, 08:02:43 AM »
After some off-post conversation with Westbj2 I decided to make a few checkering tools to help with achieving a period look of the checkering.

The first tool is an 80o double cut.  I started out with a spring steel wire form a source you will never guess... times up!  About 10 years ago I burned an early 20th century spring mattress on a brush-pile, and harvested several feet up different size pieces of spring wire, high carbon stuff.  After the fire the wire was all nicely annealed.  I forged one end to a square-ish head and bent it in a vise:

Next I shaped the head by filing, then cut a slot down the center, then cut teeth with a knife edge file:

I hardened the head by heating red hot and quenched in kerosene, a trick I learned from George Suiter - the kerosene leave very little slag to clean off.  I polished the head and drew it back to a light straw.

Put a handle on it and it was ready to use.

Forgot to mention - I first made an 80 degree template from a scrap of German silver to use as a guide.

The next tool was a single cut 80o tool, made from some W1 tool steel I got from TOF for another project.  I filed the head area to 80o and bent it using a vice and finger pressure.  Then I cut teeth and heat treated the tool.

Last, I made a high-quality handle for the tool.  8)

Then I got the bright idea to put a hard maple handle on the tool for the added mass, and managed to break the cutter by careless pressure in a vice when I was pounding the new handle on it!  >:(

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!  So I made a new 80o tool, then annealed the broken one, re-bent the shape and made a small tool for getting into hard places, and back cutting next to borders.  I put the corn cob back on that one....

More to come later...
Curtis
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:11:06 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2020, 09:13:08 AM »
Curtis,that is really fine work and a very informative thread! Have you slugged the barrel yet? If so, could you post the dimensions? I have a number of slick bullets when patched come out to .450 I could send your way. They are 520 gn ellipticals. I know you can patch up to make a larger dia bullet but I do not like going over .002” on paper thickness.
Cheers Richard

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2020, 01:36:28 AM »
Curtis, you are doing great, and re-cutting someone else's lines is a good way to learn.  Variations in wood, finger pressure, tilt one way or the other - all play a part of a successful design.

When I started checkering about 11 years ago, I checkered almost anything I could get my hands on.  Had a maple walking stick that I made in 1979.  Super hard, seen a lot of miles.  But it now has a checkered grip!  Checkered a broom handle.  Cut blocks of walnut and myrtle, checkered designs on them.  Had a couple busted stocks laying around - one of them had checkering all over the surface!

So, keep at it.  I am no Picasso with a checkering tool, but I have learned to avoid a lot of mistakes, and how to cover when I fail to avoid them.  Just ordered some new cutters, so maybe one or more of my longrifles will end up being checkered.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2020, 07:17:48 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys!  So far checkering has been nerve-wracking enough that I can't imagine doing it just for the fun of it, but who knows, maybe by the time I finish the checkering on this gun it will come easier to me.  8)

Richard, the bore is .451 so the .450 PP'd bullets should fit perfectly.  Snapper is sending me a few of his PP bullets to try, so unless they don't work out there is no need to send me any.  I appreciate the offer and will let you know if anything changes.  ;)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2020, 07:55:37 AM »
Here is the second 80 degree single cut tool, I didn't break this one putting the handle on.

The next and last tool (I think) for the project is a mullering tool for creating mullered borders.  I started with another section of bedspring wire, forged and filed the head into and oval-ish shape, cold bent it and cut slots with a jeweler's saw.

The next step I did was cut the slots larger with a knife edge file, then used a three cornered file to shape the teeth.

I hardened and heat treated it to straw, then touched up the teeth with a diamond tool and tested it on my practice block.

A couple of pics using the double cut and single cut tools.

Thanks for looking, Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2020, 07:57:53 AM »
Had a little shop time today, made some progress.  Getting close to finished with the checks on one side!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2020, 07:45:16 AM »
Got all the wrist checkering cut to depth, then I marked up my border layout.

Next I used an 18th century style checkering tool I made a couple years ago to mark layout lines.  The tool cuts lines at about 9 lpi, or twice the 18 lpi the gun is checkered with.

I then used some pinstripe tape as a guide to extend out the lines, and cut them with a 60 deg cutter:

Made a rough 80 deg "float" to rapidly cut the border lines to depth.

I chased the borderlines with a smoother 80 deg tool, then switched to my mullering tool.  "Hey Ma, look at me, I'm mullering!  ;D

Had just enough time to cut a small amount to provide "proof of concept", looks like the tool will dork out well.

More in a few days, thanks for looking.

Curtis

Curtis Allinson

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2020, 04:13:17 PM »
Can you show us your mullering tool - or did I miss it in the plethora of remarks?  Never came upon the term before.
Craig Wilcox