Author Topic: Building an Alexander Henry Target Rifle from a Rod England Kit  (Read 46631 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Building an Alexander Henry Target Rifle from a Rod England Kit
« Reply #225 on: May 21, 2020, 09:12:42 AM »
Outstanding craftsmanship from an incredibly talented craftsman that
makes me wish I had put more  effort into wood working.

Bob Roller

It's hard to be an expert on everything, Bob.  We are all glad you chose a field and excelled in it!!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline snapper

« Reply #226 on: May 21, 2020, 03:19:36 PM »
Curtis

how do you carry your lines across where the escutcheons were?

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #227 on: May 21, 2020, 07:42:20 PM »
I had never heard of "mullering."  Now I see it's a method to hide the over-runs from your poor tool control.   :P
Now I'll have to make me one.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #228 on: May 22, 2020, 06:37:06 AM »
I had never heard of "mullering."  Now I see it's a method to hide the over-runs from your poor tool control.   :P
Now I'll have to make me one.

See how smart those guys were in the old days!  It's like having a "wood bungle eraser"!   8)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #229 on: May 22, 2020, 07:11:08 AM »
Curtis

how do you carry your lines across where the escutcheons were?

Fleener

Art, it is much like jumping from one creek bank to the other.  First you back the checkering tool up a couple inches to get a good run at it, then push it forward as fast as you can to "jump the ditch"  to the other side.  Just messing with 'ya!  ;D

Not sure how a properly educated checkerer would do it, but I used a double cut tool to lay out the first line over the void much like shown below:

Logic would tell you that once you have one line over the void, you could continue to work from that with each new line in a similar fashion.  However, for me at least in practice it produced a slight curve in the line that got worse with each consecutive line.  In order to prevent that from happening, I then marked out the entry point on the opposite side using a checkering guide, one line at a time:

Once the proper re-entry point was established, a piece of pinstripe tape (or masking tape) was used to carry the proper alignment across and a layout line cut with a 600 tool, along the edge of the tape for a short distance.  Once the layout lines were properly established I used a double cut tool to complete the line.

I have seen the escutcheons outlined with a mullered border (TOF, you now know what that is :) ) but that is just taking the easy way out!   ;)

Examples:

I'd be happy to try and answer any other question you might have, or try to explain that one better.

Curtis

Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »
After finishing the forestock, I returned to the pistol grip area and re-worked the borders to match what I did on the forestock.  I didn't quite get the results I was after on the borders, but felt I was rapidly leaving the realm of minor improvements and about to enter the land of unrecoverable errors - so I quit while I was ahead.   ;)  I then made a burnishing tool and burnished the mullered borders.

The next step was to add some patina to the checkered zones and borders to help achieve a more "period" look.  I was given the idea by a friend and got the lowdown on how to do it from westbj2.  I used a linseed oil and LMF sealer blend, mixed with a healthy dose of Kibler bone black applied with an artist brush, then worked it over with a couple of different toothbrushes.  When I had an area that was resistant to taking a good darkening I dipped the toothbrush into some boneblack and applied it directly to the oil dampened area.  Here are a few photos of the process:

And here are the results:

Photos of an original for comparison:

Thanks for looking,
Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2020, 08:02:51 AM »
Wow!

Nice!

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Online homerifle

« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »
Curtis, you have knocked it out of the park! Great job!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2020, 11:41:08 PM »
Outstanding craftsmanship from an incredibly talented craftsman that
makes me wish I had put more  effort into wood working.

Bob Roller

It's hard to be an expert on everything, Bob.  We are all glad you chose a field and excelled in it!!

Curtis

I can take all those parts and make the best $40 rifle ever made.I have thought about
making a few more 3 or 4 pin locks but when I think of the time and work involved in
such a lock I get tired and put it out of my mind.
Bob Roller

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2020, 07:22:11 AM »
Thanks Norm and Homerifle!  Homerifle, I enjoyed seeing you at the CLA show and getting to look at and handle some of your creations!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2020, 08:58:22 PM »

Photos of an original for comparison:

Thanks for looking,
Curtis

That is a beautiful rifle. Yours will be too.  Looking forward to the finished pictures, Curtis.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online homerifle

« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2020, 03:16:22 AM »
Thanks Norm and Homerifle!  Homerifle, I enjoyed seeing you at the CLA show and getting to look at and handle some of your creations!

It was good seeing you as well. I hope the show will still be on this fall. I'm looking forward to going.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2020, 07:36:35 AM »
I hope the show is on this fall too, there have been way to many things canceled already this year.

Got the rifle assembled again, I plan on doing a little shooting with it before I get around to engraving and finishing the metal.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2020, 07:19:02 PM »
Wow Curtis! You did a fantastic job on it. I'm a bit intimidated to build one now. I think building the gun would go okay, but I've never even picked up a checkering tool, much less made my own special ones.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »
Lovely, Curtis. Oh WOW!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #240 on: May 29, 2020, 08:36:17 AM »
Thats a really beautiful rifle!

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #241 on: May 29, 2020, 03:59:05 PM »
Curtis,
Who made the tang sight? I remember Don Brown had Mike Neumann in South Africa
make some.I used to get frequent E mail from Mike bit haven't heard from him for a long time
and wonder about his safety over there.

Bob Roller

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #242 on: May 30, 2020, 07:38:32 AM »
Thanks for the comments fellas!  They really mean a great deal. 

Justin, I'm sure if you put your mind to it you will do an excellent job of building one of these.  Have you gotten your lathe fixed?  I would like to see if you could make me a bore protector if you do.

Curtis,
Who made the tang sight? I remember Don Brown had Mike Neumann in South Africa
make some.I used to get frequent E mail from Mike bit haven't heard from him for a long time
and wonder about his safety over there.

Bob Roller

Bob, I think Rod told me who made the sights I have a year ago when I purchased them...  I don't recall the name.  I seem to remember it was a husband a wife team from South Africa so it could be Mike Neumann.   We talked about several sights though so I am not certain.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2020, 06:30:47 AM »
Bob, I was looking at my tang sight today, and it has the letters "MN" stamped on it, so there is a good chance that the sights were made by Mike Nuemann.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #244 on: June 02, 2020, 04:25:17 PM »
Bob, I was looking at my tang sight today, and it has the letters "MN" stamped on it, so there is a good chance that the sights were made by Mike Nuemann.

Curtis
Snapper can probably add more insight into Nuemann's sights.  I think he made a set for his original Rigby.  Nuemann is about the only one who makes them identical to the originals.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2020, 11:47:31 PM »
I think that is just a beautiful rifle.  One thing to consider...  I think a little red tinted oil would help out a lot with the color.  Especially when compared to the original shown.  It looks nice how it is, but wonder if it would look just a bit better with this.

All the best,
Jim

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #246 on: June 04, 2020, 07:19:56 AM »
Hello Jim!  and thanks.  The rifle actually looks a bit redder in person than what is showing in the photos, when I get some good outdoor pics taken hopefully I can capture the true color.  I added several drops of LMF maple and LMF cherry stain to each coat of my LMF sealer when I applied it, and also in the Antique Oil I used for the topcoat.  I wanted to try out some Alkanet oil I have but was looking to get a hard finish in the wood as it was a bit soft - I have found in the past that LMF sealer penetrates deep and helps harden the wood a bit.

I have done some experimenting with rubbing a micro-thin coat of the alkanet oil over an existing finish, and it provides a nice sheen.  I will likely try it on this gun when it can sit a while without being handled much.

Curtis

Curtis Allinson

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2020, 03:42:34 PM »
A little "French Red" from Brownells rubbed in as a filler before you begin finishing the wood gives a pleasing color to American walnut. I think this is what Winchester used to use on their stocks many years ago. I've used it on both English and American walnut. A little too late now for this rifle but latter on maybe.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #248 on: June 07, 2020, 06:56:35 AM »
Thanks for the info Clowdis.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #249 on: July 20, 2020, 07:02:03 AM »
I spoke on the phone with Rod this evening about some concerns that had been voiced on another forum pertaining to color casing his lock plates, and he sent me the email quoted below. I thought he did a wonderfully informational job describing the evolution of, and future plans for his lock plate materials in the note, and he asked if I could share it here. It also shows how concerned Rod is about customer satisfaction. Here is what he wrote:

"Curtis, if I may add to the lock plate conversation. In the past lock plates have been made in my shop with 0-1, A-2, hot roll, 8620, 4140, and some where just were soft steel. Don't know how many got cased, but no one has complained of color case hardening issues. When I decided to go with a cnc machined plate some research found that some modern gun companies were using 4140. Being a tool maker that was right down my alley. So I've had two runs with the 4140. These were plates sent out to gunsmiths, builders and companies that do color case hardening for trials.

Tom Snyder is one of those a plate was sent to.

The color of his casing was very original looking and it was partially due to a lower temperature which is another benefit. I have always had great respect for Tom and his work. It took awhile , but Tom not only cased the plate but did much research in which I appreciate greatly on the matter. So, the next run on plates will be done with 8620 that also has properties that produce good colors.

As for the plates done in 4140 out there. As stated before there is proof it can be done but also proof it can warp. I am sure my 4140 plate is not the only plate that has warped in the gun world. Just to be on the safe side I will be in contact with all that have acquired locks & kits to see if they have had any issue with warping or are anticipating color casing.

Thank you Curtis for this chance to bring up issues and resolve them. In the little time I get to read your blog there seems to be many others bringing out great info on these British rifle. Thank you also Tom Snyder for the time you put in on this project.

Respectfully R. England"

Thanks for looking! Curtis
Curtis Allinson