Author Topic: Another Kibler Colonial..... Some final comments on Jim's kit.....  (Read 23367 times)

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Thanks for the great tutorial and I just ordered those sanding sticks.  I think they'll come in handy.  Just so I'm clear,
were the brass parts rough cast and was your first step to file them or to scrape them?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Another Kibler Colonial..... draw filing the barrel
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2020, 09:58:21 PM »
Jim,

The surface finish on the barrels is just fine.  After your comment, I did convert the 1.1 grams of steel removed per flat to a thickness.  Assuming an average flat width of 0.4", a barrel length of 43", and a density for mild steel of 0.2904 lbs / in^3, the 1.1 grams of steel removed per flat to clean up the surface equates to 0.00053" in thickness.  So, on average, the removal of a half a thousandth of an inch of material results in a smooth file finish with no remaining tool marks.  I wouldn't worry about improving the barrel surface finish .....especially if that process would cause you difficulty somewhere else in the manufacturing.  Besides, you really do need to leave us something to do on our end.....sense of ownership / pride of accomplishment and all that ... ;)

I'm guessing you are an engineer.  Also just ordered the Bahco file.  Can I use the 143-10-3 file on my brass as well?
I'm getting excited about working on my kit.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Shreckmeister,

I hesitate to say the brass parts included with Jim's kit were "rough cast".  They are excellent investment cast parts....much smother than a typical sand casting.  So, to answer your question, I did do a little file work on the parts, then scraped them, and then used the sanding sticks to finish most of the polishing.  I do also use a muslin wheel and tripoli polishing compound on curved surfaces but do not use tripoli on surfaces that are supposed to have sharp features / edges or flat surfaces.

I know others separate the files they use on brass from those they use on steel, etc., but I don't.  I use any file I have that is the right shape and cut on any material...gold, silver, brass, wood, steel....whatever.  When the file gets dull, I get a new one or sharpen the old one.  I don't have enough bench space to have separate files for different materials.  The one exception is that, since purchasing the Bahco file, I keep that one just for draw filing barrels.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

I can't imagine what something you would call fancy would look like.  Beautiful work and I call that trigger and plate fancy..... 8) :) :)

Dave

Yeah - beautiflul work indeed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Another Kibler Colonial..... More Engraving
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2020, 04:42:13 AM »
More engraving today.....

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2020, 08:00:58 AM »
Beautiful work.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2020, 09:08:06 AM »
YES - beautiful work indeed!
Breath-tauntingly beautiful.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2020, 01:32:12 PM »
Really nice work!

henry

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2020, 01:46:19 PM »
Your sunburst on the top jaw is sublime; typically English!

Best regards, Henry.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »
My thoughts exactly, Henry!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Another Kibler Colonial..... Lock Engraving Completed
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2020, 08:26:08 AM »
Finished the lock engraving tonight.  Started on the brass parts but haven't decided how much engraving I will do on all those parts.

One comment about the precision of Jim's new CNC locks.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I had to anneal the frizzen to polish and engrave it.  I did that in a furnace with the frizzen buried in charcoal to keep it from scaling at all.  When I took the lock apart, I noted how beautifully the frizzen and the frizzen pivot screw were fitted.  No slop at all.  After polishing and engraving, I went to reassemble the lock and discovered that the frizzen screw would no longer fit through the hole in the toe of the frizzen.  It took me a while to lap the hole and the frizzen screw enough to allow the screw to go back into position and allow the frizzen to turn on the pivot freely but without any slop.  I have never worked on a lock that had parts fitted that precisely.  Good job Jim !!!
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Jim Evans

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2020, 12:53:09 PM »
That is a real show piece,Great work.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2020, 06:59:46 PM »
Stellar - absolutely Stellar -

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2020, 07:14:12 AM »
That's one beautiful lock.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Another Kibler Colonial..... Some Barrel & Other Engraving
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
Not sure where I'm going yet with all the engraving.....as usual this all sort of just "happens" as I think of something that appeals to me.  Probably why most of my engraving is so "disjointed".  Although when I look at a lot of photos of original rifles, their engraving seems to be all over the place as well.....so perhaps I AM doing the right thing....who knows  :o

At any rate, here is the latest progress....and we'll see if it all comes together in the end.......

I like decorated screws, so I did the two lock bolts and the tang screw with a different type of floral design more complicated than the much simpler one I have been doing...

I decided I wanted some decoration at the breech.....not sure if I will add too much more or not yet. I had to make a new punch for the beading here....didn't have one the correct size....

Completed the excavation of steel on the top of the breech plug in preparation for inlaying a 24 karat gold touch mark.  This is always a tedious task for me for some reason.  I will do some additional engraving on the tang when I decide what I want to do there.

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2020, 02:48:25 AM »
As always, beautiful work!!  Thanks for sharing!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2020, 08:57:30 PM »
Inspiring, Mr DC2, just inspiring!  Thank you for taking time to document and share.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2020, 09:07:34 PM »
Very nice Dave.  Typically crisp.  I too like the flash or sunburst on the top jaw, the string of pearls around the breech, and those classy screw heads.  Sharp.  Please proceed.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2020, 10:35:12 PM »
Yes. That falls squarely into the middle of ‘Fancy’ in my book. Nice work.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Another Kibler Colonial..... Completed Screw Head Engraving
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2020, 11:19:50 PM »
Not a lot of time to work these last few days but after engraving the lock bolt and tang screw heads, I thought I might as well do the remaining few.  I used the same pattern on the cock screw, the top jaw screw and the two butt plate screws.  Since I have apparently gone completely berserk here, I might as well do the little screw head on the trigger plate screw.... ;)

Oh, and I did add some engraving to the breech decoration and took a crack at the side plate.  I'm not very happy with the side plate.  I may ask Jim if I can purchase another side plate and take another crack at it.....

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2020, 12:07:28 AM »
Well that sure is looking snazzy!  Nice work.

Jim

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2020, 01:07:55 AM »
Hi Dave,
Great engraving as always.  The side plate looks fine but I think I see what might you might not be happy with.  The nick and dot border has closed off the center of the plate.  At this point you have to create a free and detached engraving to fill the center because there is no way to anchor it to the border.  What you might be able to do is use the head of the rear lock bolt as the anchor for some design flowing from it.  Good luck, Dave.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2020, 01:45:17 AM »
Jim, 

Thanks.....we'll see how it all turns out.  I may have just messed up a perfectly good kit with a lot of "bling" that doesn't belong there...???  I may need to purchase a spare side plate at a minimum.  I haven't been doing any engraving for quite some time and have run a little amuck here.

David, 

Exactly !  That and I don't like the way I did the sunburst at the rear end of the plate.  Can't do much to fix that except to solder on a silver overlay.....or something.  Nothing to lose now....I will try anchoring something to the rear lock bolt.  Thanks !
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:41:19 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2020, 03:10:11 AM »
Hi Dave,
Here is an example I did.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Another Kibler Colonial..... Side plate........:(
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2020, 07:20:23 AM »
David,

Thanks !  I think I was taking your advice and cutting this modification at the same time you were posting an example.......I'm still not happy with the whole side plate.....but it's better than it was.....

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780