Author Topic: Stuck stripped ball  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Kary

Re: Stuck stripped ball
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »
I’ve had that happen before, same circumstances... almost exactly.  I soaked the inside bore with a large amount of transmission fluid then I found a metal screw that was slightly larger diameter than my ball puller. I then soldered the screw to a smaller jag I had laying around, as streight as I could and it worked like a charm. I then reheated screw and melted solder to re-use my jag as it was intended. Just make double sure your screw is as streight as possible on the jag, or it will try and Unscrew out of round and mess things up even further.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2019, 08:02:20 PM »
If the hole is all the way through, could one screw the puller screw back into the ball tight enough for the grease gun trick to work? Or, with a range rod or other rod (not the one that comes with the gun) use the air compressor? I mention using a different rod as I see no way to unscrew the rod from the puller without unscrewing the puller from the ball.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2019, 11:33:57 PM »
A larger screw should work to pull the ball.  You should have the bore clean as possible and lubed with an oil.
 You likely will not be able to unscrew the ball puller from the rod without unscrewing the screw from the ball.
If the rod and screw were in the ball and sealing it in the bore, a CO2 discharger might move it enough, to allow
pulling it the rest of the way out. I would not use grease under any circumstances. I'd rather pull the plug and
push the dang thing out from the breech.
1 thing is certain, you have to get it out and cleaned as soon as possible.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2019, 12:42:59 AM »
??? Sacrifice the puller by putting a dab of 2 part epoxy on it, screw it into the ball, pull ball, unscrew puller from rod,,,,, mount ball an puller on trophy plaque. ???

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 02:39:06 AM »
Brokennock: that is the best idea yet.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2019, 03:09:24 AM »
Brokennock: that is the best idea yet.

Wonder if the OP got the ball a movin' yet?

And you don't have to lose the puller to epoxy if you don't want to.  Heat breaks epoxy.

But would be a good wall hanging--I'd title one: Powder First!
Hold to the Wind

Offline Kary

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2019, 06:32:27 AM »
Another thought, one could use a larger screw to plug hole in ball, then oil the inside of the bore, then used compressed air to attempt a discharge? I know it’s close to another idea already said.. but I like using what I have available and an air compressor I have...another thought, I don’t know about the two part epoxy, everything has to be very clean for that to be effective enough to pull a ball. I’d not trust it, might make yet even a larger mess!

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2020, 03:17:28 AM »
I had a rifle brought to me with this problem. I have a CO2 discharger, so I loaded another patched ball down the bore to make a seal, and blew both out easily.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Kary

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2020, 09:01:39 AM »
I had a rifle brought to me with this problem. I have a CO2 discharger, so I loaded another patched ball down the bore to make a seal, and blew both out easily.
Dang, why didn’t I think of that one? Good idea!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2020, 07:43:18 PM »
I am itching to see if the OP got the ball out, and if so - HOW?
Lots of excellent ideas here, which I will keep in mind should it ever happen (again) to me.

Was going to mention one I repaired with TWO bullets in the barrel, but that was with modern weapons.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:47:22 PM by Craig Wilcox »
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.