Author Topic: Stuck stripped ball  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Born200years2late

• Starting Member
Stuck stripped ball
« on: December 26, 2019, 08:52:36 AM »
Long story short- my rifle was dry-balled and in trying to screw into it to pull it out I think we may have just stripped a hole through the ball. It’s still in there, the screw isn’t catching on anything anymore and all we have are a few slivers of lead out. I initially tried pouring and packing powder through the touchhole behind the shot but was not able to get enough behind it to dislodge the ball. Kinda at a loss now- what would you do next?

Offline P.Bigham

Re: Stuck stripped ball
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 04:12:14 PM »
Remove the barrel.  Remove the breech plug and push the ball out.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
Try using a compressor to blow the charge and ball out. Another method would be to replace the nipple with a zerk grease fitting and pump the load out.  This is very messy and requires significant clean-up, but it works.  Lastly, would be to remove the breech plug.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 05:32:26 PM »
I know of one fellow who took barrel out of stock then slammed end of barrel on a 2x10 on the concrete floor,this moved the ball just far enough forward to get some extra 4f in it to work. I wouldn't recommend it but it did work.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 07:48:55 PM »
Fyrstyk is spot on IMO. The two operations most likely to result in a ruined gun are taking the barrel out of the stock, and unbreeching the barrel. I’ve got a whole pile of examples given to me over the years. Compressed air works well, as long as you haven’t bored a hole clear through the ball. But, don’t think you can’t shoot through your garage door given enough compressed air. The grease gun is probably the safest, but, of course its also the messiest.

Hungry Horse

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 10:13:27 PM »
Remove the barrel.  Remove the breech plug and push the ball out.

I’ve heard that you really can’t remove breech plugs on traditionally built rifles without messing it up. Is this true? If not how do you remove it without ruining the rifle?

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 10:15:14 PM »
Fyrstyk is spot on IMO. The two operations most likely to result in a ruined gun are taking the barrel out of the stock, and unbreeching the barrel. I’ve got a whole pile of examples given to me over the years. Compressed air works well, as long as you haven’t bored a hole clear through the ball. But, don’t think you can’t shoot through your garage door given enough compressed air. The grease gun is probably the safest, but, of course its also the messiest.

Hungry Horse

I should’ve clarified that this is a flintlock so there’s nothing to screw the compressed air or grease gun to the barrel- though I’ve really liked your answer the best- any ideas?

Offline oldways

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 10:50:43 PM »
You could try squirting some oil (kroil) down the barrel and let it set for awhile. Then take a t-handled rod with the screw on it and take some steel wool (small amount) and wrap it around the screw and try starting to twist the screw back into the ball. the steel wool may fill the hole enough to get a grip on the ball.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 11:58:06 PM »
I have a ball puller that continually gets larger as it gets away from the point.  Most taper about one thread   Got it from a vendor at a match. Try Track of the wolf. Then do as said above and put a few drops of penetrating oil down the barrel before pulling on it. Use a steel or SS rod.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 12:42:37 AM »
You can remove the barrel driving the pins out slowly making sure not to damage the wood. Or if keys push them out. You would then need a large vise using brass shim stock so as not to mar the barrel.  A large adjustable crescent wrench again with brass shim in jaws. Should do it.  Soak in penetrating oil.  Any Gun smiths by you?
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 01:31:39 AM »
I’ve heard that you really can’t remove breech plugs on traditionally built rifles without messing it up. Is this true? If not how do you remove it without ruining the rifle?

Not true.  Actually a tradionally built gun should be easier to unbreech.  It was assembled, so it can be disassembled.  Now, if you don’t know what you’re doing could you screw it up?  Sure.  Who made this gun?

I would blow down the barrel, if air easily passes out the touchhole, you likely have a hole thru the ball.  I would try a larger diameter screw or one with a large taper like Standing Bear mentioned or bushed as Oldways suggested.  If those fail, you will have to remove the breech plug, but the make of the gun matters, as the touchhole may be threaded into the breechplug. 

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 01:38:00 AM »
Assuming the bore is dirty- coat it with some sort of lube so I doesn't rust while your waiting to fix it.

Pull the breech- or better yet get someone who knows how to pull it. With the right tools (vice, clamp and wrench) it is fairly simple.

Have no idea where your located so that's all I can offer.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 03:37:02 AM »
I have never been unable to get a ball out and agree NEVER pull the barrel and breech plug unless all else fails.
1. Use a tapered screw of large enough diameter and range rod. Set it firmly into the ball and SLOWLY pull the ball.
2. Remove the lock and use a CO2 discharger.
3. Use the adaptor on the discharger and find a compressor and blow it out.
4. If you only get it to move a little and it strips screw the puller back into the ball, add some 4F and shoot it out.
5. If you don't commonly work on BP rifles find a B.P. Gunsmith and take it to him. After seeing some of the "butcher" jobs people have done to their own rifles by playing Jr. gunsmith I would not recommend pulling the barrel and breechplug yourself.
The "Muskrat" has spoken.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 04:02:45 AM »
I have a ball puller that continually gets larger as it gets away from the point.  Most taper about one thread   Got it from a vendor at a match. Try Track of the wolf. Then do as said above and put a few drops of penetrating oil down the barrel before pulling on it. Use a steel or SS rod.

+1.  Track has a ball puller that is Christmas tree shaped (tapered) with a brass centering collar.  That will thread into the ball even if your other ball puller stripped out.  You only need to twist in a ball puller a few solid turns.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 04:03:48 AM »

Hungry Horse

I should’ve clarified that this is a flintlock so there’s nothing to screw the compressed air or grease gun to the barrel- though I’ve really liked your answer the best- any ideas?

Is your touch hole just drilled in the wall of the barrel? Or is it a liner that has been cut flush and filed smooth?

Mike

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 04:29:31 PM »

Hungry Horse

Is your touch hole just drilled in the wall of the barrel? Or is it a liner that has been cut flush and filed smooth?

Mike
If your touch hole can be removed (un-screwed) you should be able to find a fitting with the same threads in which to attach a compressor hose.  Some of the rubber tipped blower nozzles for compressors can work too if you hold the rubber tip tightly to the touch hole. I have removed several stuk balls from my friends guns using the grease fitting technique.  Believe me, it works, but like I said, it is very messy and clean up is a bear.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 06:01:22 PM »
Lube the bore before you try to pull it again, if you didn't the first time.  I haven't seen this mentioned, and in the heat of the frustration, things can be overlooked. 

Once you get it moving it should come right on out.  If you've drilled thru it, powder isn't going to move it, or grease, possibly air--but you'd need a bigger hole on the backside than a drilled touchhole.   If you've drilled thru the ball, you need bigger threads as mentioned above.  I don't know what is readily available but any hobby machinist or experienced tinkerer should be able to help you make something up to work with your equipment.

If you're comfortable taking the bbl out, and installing a touchhole liner--could drill and tap for such, then use a grease or air fitting to push it out (before fitting up your new liner).  This could work with a thru-hole if you had big blasts of air--being mindful of what is "down range".  Simply drilling for the liner could get into the ball, and provide enough access to manually get it moving or carve on it and peel it out.

If you're not comfortable disassembling the gun, find someone who is--not the first jasper who thinks he is, but someone who has built a M/L or two.

Enjoy
the process as it gives you lots of ways to remember to -not- re-visit this whole process. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:57:03 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 07:44:00 PM »
Wade: you are a wise and noble man. Or at least one who has seen many of the problems people seem to have. Thanks for your knowledge and posts.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 09:15:26 PM »
Wade: you are a wise and noble man. Or at least one who has seen many of the problems people seem to have. Thanks for your knowledge and posts.

Well thanks, just trying to give back a little and still have plenty more to learn.
Hold to the Wind

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 10:43:27 PM »
The day we want to quit learning is the day we get planted.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 05:09:36 AM »
Find an air blow gun for the compressor that has a rubber tip on it, press it hard against the touch hole and blow.

Make sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction.

Harbour Freight has the air gun/ nozzles...cheap.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline jackley

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »
Oil in the barrel.  And a CO2 decharger with flintlock adapter. Seems as I  get older this happens now and again.  You can blow the ball out at the range no muss no fuss.   

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 09:56:47 PM »
If the ball has a hole through it, I doubt CO2 will work.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 07:04:26 AM »
That's the impression I got, Mike, that they have bored all the way through it.
Un-breeching or a larger dia. screw will be needed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2019, 07:20:59 PM »
I think I would sacrifice my screw to the cause. Grind of the centering disk of it has one and try to screw into the ball at the edge. With a hole in the center it may pull out easier if you could get a good bite with the screw.