Author Topic: Peep/tang sights back in "the day"?  (Read 16280 times)

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
Re: Peep/tang sights back in "the day"?
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 01:58:02 AM »
Peep sights most likely go back as far as crossbows and matchlocks. People of old had the same eye maladies as we have today but they had no glasses to correct vision. If a shooter back in the day was lucky enough to live to 45 or 50 years of age, he had to use an aperture of some type to achieve accuracy.

Go ahead and use peep sights. You will love them. I have apertures on nearly all of my muzzleloaders including flints and percussion. They have made it possible for me to continue shooting and hunting. And there is an added benefit and that is the fantastic accuracy peep sights bring.

I make most of my own peeps. They are not difficult to make and its so much fun experimenting and trying different types.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 07:48:24 PM »
Skychief,

Peep and tube sight gonback to the early 1500's at least, so you are good to go.

Dave C2,

Very neat work on the simple but effective peep!

Elegant is always good.  :-)

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 06:29:31 AM »
Some time back I was perusing photos of a large bore English rifle built by one of my favorite contemporary makers, Stephen Alexander.  This rifle had a rear "ghost ring" sight mounted very close to the breech which peaked my interest.  I made up some dummy sights and glued them to the barrel of a build I am working on and I love the sight picture through them.  In querying Stephen on the rear sight, he told me that this type of sight was frequently used on Turkish flint firearms and on some English and Continental ones as well. 

I did find a few peep sighted Turkish flintlock photos and, apparently, peep sights have been around since Roman days (museum pieces, crossbows from Roman to middle age Europe with peep sights),

Here is the English rifle I built with this type of rear sight on it........works great !

I would like to see more pics of that English rifle you made. It's a beauty

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 06:49:57 AM »

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2020, 07:12:12 PM »
Justin,

Sorry.....I missed your question about the English rifle.....here is a link       https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34719.0
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2020, 08:53:23 PM »

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2020, 10:16:05 PM »
Dan- is that your 18 pound .50? I don't recall seeing it finished.
I have an in-the-white photo of you shooting it over a plank.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline john bohan

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 01:08:55 AM »
I was having trouble too. I looked at some sights and found the RMC quick peep. worked real good on three whitetails this year,very quick to find in your vision. 72 can make one open to change.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2020, 07:39:34 AM »
I like peep sights and use them and when building a rifle I would consider putting one on the rifle. If you look at a Hawken flintlock on Brant Selb's website he has one on a rifle he built. I think it looks like a Skinner that has a bone color case finish. But I consider a simple non adjustable sight intriguing.
Rob
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:46:52 PM by borderdogs »

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2020, 05:18:11 PM »
That's perfect.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2020, 07:34:10 PM »
In this last picture of a peep is it available or was it custom made. If available by who?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »
Dan- is that your 18 pound .50? I don't recall seeing it finished.
I have an in-the-white photo of you shooting it over a plank.

Yes it is.  I put a peep on it cause my right eye was getting bad but only shot it a time or two with it it did not help much. The VA finally paid to get the eye fixed, it had a weird cataract, and I can see the sights on everything again now. Maybe I can hunt with a FL again. The left eye is still good, naturally. The wind caught me and shot 5 is out 2" from center or it would have been much shorter. Or it was me but we always have wind wind. And it seems like there always has to be one.  The photo is a composite of the 10 targets. Its amazing how little wind it takes to move a RB.
The matches at Cody died out and the ones we shoot 50 miles West are offhand. But I am going to take a saw horse and a plank over one of these times and shoot it a little without the peep. The link shows some detail of it before I browned the barrel.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000127103372&sk=media_set&set=a.110639535616949&type=3
Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2020, 10:04:17 PM »
Tks Dan. 

Did you boys note the load for accuracy shooting at 60 yards?
Daryl

Jim Evans

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2020, 08:25:19 PM »
Who Made this and is there a way to get one?

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2020, 09:24:01 PM »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2020, 10:00:56 PM »
Very interesting gun, Mike.  No full length pictures. I think only one muzzle 'shot', but not easily discernible rifling.
Didn't quite get the peep sight holes in a line.
Daryl

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2020, 10:46:57 PM »
Dan, can you tell us how much "gain" is in that 44" McLemore barrel?

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2020, 11:27:16 PM »
Very interesting gun, Mike.  No full length pictures. I think only one muzzle 'shot', but not easily discernible rifling.
Didn't quite get the peep sight holes in a line.
Badly pitted bore, but rifling was strong in some areas.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2020, 12:36:27 AM »
Jim Evans,
I made the sight when I built the rifle. Not available commercially that I know of.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2020, 06:46:00 AM »
I have to ring in on this. I've been building and shooting sine the mid 70's.
Now I am 71 and cannot use a notched rear sight. I make peep sights but mount them 8-10 inches from the breech. I do my shooting sitting on the seat of my walker as I can no longer stand sturdy enough to shoot off hand. I don't care if they're legal for competition or not as I have long since fired my last match relay. But the peeps do allow me to ring plates, roll cans etc in my backyard range.
Heck, I even put one on my NW trade gun last week.
My gun, my range, my rules...LOL.
Have fun while you can. Life is short.
Tony Maples

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2020, 07:22:01 AM »
That is exactly right Tony. Keep at it till you just cant any more.  :)

Offline alacran

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2020, 05:48:16 PM »
I can see open sights just fine. But I am building my self a tree stand Jaeger. It has a 25 inch .60 caliber Rayl barrel.
 I have been thinking of installing a peep site on it since I came up with the idea. Peeps will give me a about a 23 1/2 inch sight radius.
The question is does anyone have photos of Germanic peep sights from the early 18th century?
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »
Tony: good for you. Keep shooting any way you need to. If anyone doesn't like it they can go home. I too use a "sort of" peep, more of a ghost ring so my old eyes can see the sights. God bless you, keep making smoke.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2020, 08:07:32 PM »
I went the peep route this year on my .58 Hawken. I milled out the notch in the buckhorn sight with a 1/4" end mill which gave me the radius then soft soldered in a 1/4 disc in place with a centered drilled hole in it. Take good measurements on the height of the notch first, drill hole under size and increase as needed. I had to make up two to get it just right. Since this is my 100 yd hunting rifle the results have proven to be very worth the effort. Allowed me this year take a bull elk with a deliberate neck shot.
A very simple modification.
kw

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2020, 07:31:00 AM »
Well done 45-110.
I have found that a 1/8" hole gives me the picture I need for the sight 8-10" from the breech. Really more like a ghost ring but it sure works.
Tony Maples