Author Topic: Help I found a mark  (Read 7631 times)

WESTbury

Re: Help I found a mark
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2020, 01:39:46 AM »
It's difficult to see with your photos if it was originally a flintlock rifle. Doesn't matter however if it was or was not originally flint, it is percussion now.

Whether or not you disassemble the rifle is 100% your call. None of the fine people on the forum would have it any other way.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:07:16 AM by WESTbury »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2020, 04:16:03 AM »
Nice rifle; thank you for bringing it here to be commented on, and admired. I would strongly suggest that you give us some better photographs of the full length, half views and detail images such that the folks here can make some valid observations on the rifle. The two dark, dark photos do not flatter your gun.
You have provided a number of microphotographs of some barrel marks that cannot be deciphered and may be nothing but file marks, when shots of the lock, box, breech, trigger guard and other details might help equally well, or better, in your search for information. Removing the barrel might reveal some marks on the lower flats, but that is not guaranteed. Some here would consider that three pages of pure speculation is useless and has been a waste of your time.
Dick

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2020, 01:39:54 AM »
I don't want to be a spoil sport, but those marks look an awful lot like the file marks on the sight base.

They do and are the same angle.  They even get shorter at the bottom ,  which makes them correspond with how the file would be applied.

But they also look like script some.

Of course I see signatures on rust scale on some of my rifles.  :D

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2020, 04:14:15 AM »
Nice rifle; thank you for bringing it here to be commented on, and admired. I would strongly suggest that you give us some better photographs of the full length, half views and detail images such that the folks here can make some valid observations on the rifle. The two dark, dark photos do not flatter your gun.
You have provided a number of microphotographs of some barrel marks that cannot be deciphered and may be nothing but file marks, when shots of the lock, box, breech, trigger guard and other details might help equally well, or better, in your search for information. Removing the barrel might reveal some marks on the lower flats, but that is not guaranteed. Some here would consider that three pages of pure speculation is useless and has been a waste of your time.
Dick

Dick is right, photos of the whole thing might get you some expert opinions on who/where it was made and that might lead to other guns by same hands or who knows what else information.  Thanks
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mdlock

• Starting Member
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2020, 03:15:51 AM »
What I was hoping for and I thought a forum is to discuss different hypotheses. That fact is I was hoping that so.eone had seen the mark and possibly recognized what the script was. So sorry if it annoys some people that there are 3 pages. Dont click on it. I dont need you telling me I wasting my time. Right now I currently have plenty of it. That post almost made me not want to visit this site again. But luckily there are others worth hearing and that too think that is what forums are for. Ok Dick?
Sincerely,
 Lewis

Offline Mdlock

• Starting Member
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2020, 03:26:47 AM »
I have other photos in my other post if some of you might like to see.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2020, 04:42:57 AM »
Hey Lewis, sorry to have hurt your feelings over my comments. I, like many others here really want to help you, but on the basis of facts presented, there really isn't much more we can do. I think that so many here tried to give you their best analyses. Personally, I do not see any discernible writing on the sight area and I didn't comment. The fact that three pages have been taken up with comments on your behalf should show that folks are trying to answer your inquiry. My thinking remains that it would be best for you to post some good photos of the entire rifle and its details, so that viewers can make an informed observation. With photos some facts may come forward to help form the answers that you are seeking. I, for one would like to see the rest of what appears to be a fine rifle.
Dick

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2020, 12:56:07 PM »
I tend to stay outa these type discussions as I don't know $#@* about identifying these old shooters.Reading this thread and looking over evidence presented,appears to be file marks.Appears being the key,is it plausible its scrip,perhaps.Whats leading me away from the script is that those boxes squared up to the sight, barrel show if it was script its way off.IMHO,nobody would write, scribe,what ever with so many straight edges around to keep you honest.Some mysterys are never solved.....

Offline Bob D

• Starting Member
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2020, 03:44:47 PM »
This is beginning to bring to mind Bret Hart's immortal poem "The Society Upon the Stanislow".  Google the title for a humorous break.
Bob D

WESTbury

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2020, 03:57:22 PM »
I have other photos in my other post if some of you might like to see.

Lewis--- Take a look at my December 14th posting which includes photos of one of my longrifles. These are the types of photos that will allow some of the more experienced members (which does not include me) of this forum to possibly identify the maker of this rifle and area of the country where it was built. If the maker of this rifle can be identified, it may be possible to determine how that maker marked his rifles.

None of the photos you have posted thus far, are helpful for gunsmith identification.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2020, 06:48:34 PM »
I think there were pictures of this rifle posted sometime back. Not a 100% on that .
Remember  we are talking about an area of maybe a fourth of an inch where these marks are.  Hard to engrave easy to scratch.
JIM

WESTbury

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2020, 07:33:26 PM »
Jim--You are 100% correct. I found them, posted on NOV 15 2019 by Mdlock.

Date corrected, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 07:51:55 PM by WESTbury »

Offline Mdlock

• Starting Member
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2020, 08:59:43 PM »
I just sat here and typed a long response just like a lot of people are doing. If you looked at post you will see where it changed to how to dismantle the rifle. I had someone to suggest it and just before that I had given up on the script part. I know it is most likely file Mark's due to the simple fact it was so small and I had mentioned that was hoping someone had the same rifle and it was not rusted away. I have come to the conclusion that nobody read my last post before Dick slapped my hand for wasting his time. Dont click on the thing that says I found a mark. Wow problem solved now go look for something else that interest you other than arguing with me. Ok others so concerned about Lewis responding. Lewis has responded now hopefully you read the part like where the conversation changed. Grow up. I appreciate any info I get from this site. It has always been a pleasure to visit and see the comments. But when they go and say I'm wasting my time I dont see that as anyone's business but my own. I will tell you if I think I am wasting my time. And if I'm wasting my time than what are you doing? W is it worth it.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2020, 04:55:11 PM »
Ok enough I am locking this topic. I also removed some of the morning replies that were not welcome on this forum. Try to control your temper's. Go outside and kick a few trees and see if that helps!
Dennis
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:48:12 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson