Author Topic: A Plea From An OLD Fool  (Read 8714 times)

Offline Darkhorse

Re: A Plea From An OLD Fool
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2020, 11:41:59 AM »
Hey Pete, I'll chime in on this if  you will. I have had a LH GPR flintlock in .54 with the 32" barrel. I have built 2 of the Haines rifles with the 38" barrels. I can tell you for certain it will feel lighter, it will balance better, and you can adjust that powder charge to fit your recoil level.
I would consider carrying a shooting stick or a bipod, I also use mine as a walking stick to help an old man with shot joints traverse bad terrain.
This is the type rifle you wanted several years ago.
The biggest negative I see is the cast off in the stock. I, being a lefty have never handled a rifle with cast off for a right hander so I don't know how it will feel or how well I could shoot it. But consider this, the stock could be bent back straight by a good stock man like JerryWH.
Also be aware, fitting a rear peep to a swamped barrel is not as simple as it seems, that's why most are hand made.
I hope you can find a way to make Dennis's rifle work for you.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2020, 06:05:17 PM »
My Haines rifle is right handed and does not have any cast off in the stock.  I don't know who built my rifle as there are no marks or name any where on the rifle. 
iloco

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2020, 06:12:26 PM »
Dennis is checking to see if it has cast off. He thinks it doesn't. I told him i'd take it.

I'm going to have my buddy refinish it. He does nice work.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2020, 06:22:56 PM »
Sorry but it does have cast off. Here is a photo of the cast. It seems to have more in the photo than looking at it with naked eye.

I mention this at the risk of implying that it will fit Oldmtnman but when I shoulder it left handed it comes up just fine for my eyes. Sights line up as well as it does for me right handed. Mabe the absence of check rest makes up for the cast off.

I am 6 ft with 34" sleeve length and the 13.5" LOP is perfect for me even though most of the time I like the 14" LOP on my Mathew Gillespie pattern.

Dennis

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:35:40 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »
It's not much cast off Dennis. The cheek piece can make it feel different. I've lost a lot of weight and I have a pretty skinny mug now. I think the sights will line up for me ok.

I must admit the gun looks better it the picture than in the pics you sent me.

I'll take it. :)

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2020, 12:56:18 AM »
It's not much cast off Dennis. The cheek piece can make it feel different. I've lost a lot of weight and I have a pretty skinny mug now. I think the sights will line up for me ok.

I must admit the gun looks better it the picture than in the pics you sent me.

I'll take it. :)

Glad to hear it, OMM! Looks like a dandy and if it was made by Dennis, Mark my works, ziti WILL be a dandy!!!

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2020, 08:33:09 AM »
That looks to be about 1/4" cast off. Mine is 1/4" cast on for a LH shooter. I have no idea how it would fit me shooting right handed.

I would think some wood could be removed in key areas to make it fit a left handed shooter. But that's just me thinking as I've never done it.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2020, 04:40:35 PM »
Nice looking gun.