Author Topic: A Tale of Two Little Rifles - New link to the Case and the Accoutrements  (Read 34306 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: A Tale of Two Little Rifles - Patch Box Hinge
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2021, 11:25:38 PM »
 Holy Crow Dave! That box is Beautifully done.

Tim

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2021, 12:10:52 AM »
Wow is right! That is a beautiful patchbox!!!

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2021, 12:49:52 AM »
Late to the party on this one…, great, GREAT stuff all the way through!  Fantastic resource for both beginning and experienced builders.  Thanks for posting, Dave!   Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2021, 12:54:02 AM »
Hi Dave,
That is a great way to make a patch box.  I think I am going to adopt that method because it will be a lot easier and produce better results.  Thanks for sharing Dave.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2021, 08:59:20 AM »
David, This has become my "go to" method of patch box hinges.  All the box parts are curved like they need to be, but the hinge is nice and straight.  Ed, and others, thanks for the compliments.  Sorry that this is taking me so long to get finished.

More patch box work......with the box parts made and contoured I started in on the tedious job of inletting.  First I inlet led the hinge so the box door and finial sat flat on the stock.  Then I screwed down the finial and side plates where I wanted them and started the cutting in around the parts.

With all the parts inlet, I wanted to get the door latch made.  I cut the standard square hole in the end of the door and made a latch post from an 8 penny nail.  With the latch post peened in place, I drilled out the mortice for the catch spring and made up the spring with a brazed on screw tube to hold it in place under the butt plate.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2021, 01:31:29 PM »
 "(When I have to shape small parts like this with a file, I usually super glue the part to a small block of wood"

Do you use an accelerator when you do this?

Thanks, Tim

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2021, 06:44:15 PM »
Tim,

Yes.  I glue the part to a block of wood and then give it a quick shot with a spray accelerator.  Works great.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: A Tale of Two Little Rifles - Easy Patch Box Latch & Spring
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2021, 07:13:10 AM »
Yesterday's post showed part of the patch box latch and spring.  Here is the complete assembly.  I will install a push rod from a button in the toe plate.

I also decided to add an ebony face onto the cheek piece as I did on the copy of a Jim Chambers rifle I built a few years ago.  It looks weird now but the other rifle looked fine after the maple was stained to its final color.....and....if I decide I don't really like it as I am getting close to finishing the rifle, I can cut it right back off.... ;)

PS....Here is how the copy of Jim's rifle came out with the ebony face on the cheek piece.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=37186.75
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 07:17:40 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: A Tale of Two Little Rifles - Final Patch Box Release & Carving Start
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2021, 06:02:06 AM »
Had some free time today so I finished the toe plate, push rod, button mechanism to release the patch box lid.  Also made up the door spring and got it installed.  The door snaps closed nicely and pops open with a satisfactory spring up.  Done with that.  Next step on the patch box is to pull is off the stock and engrave it.

And then I started the carving.......

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2021, 03:20:17 PM »
With your crisp work, you must be one of the masters of tool sharpening. Beautiful Dave.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2021, 02:05:01 AM »
I just received an email from a friend concerning the work on this little rifle.....he asked if I had passed away and if that's why I wasn't making any progress..... (wise a$$)....So no, I haven't passed away..... yet.....(no one gets out of this life alive though... ;))  I have traveled to see my Mom who is 96 and is doing as well or better than I am.  It's been too long since I had kissed her cheek and made her laugh.  I'll be back in the shop soon to finish up the carving and engraving on this rifle for my grandson.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: A Tale of Two Little Rifles - No...I'm not dead.....yet
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2021, 05:05:26 AM »
Good on ya, Dave. We need to kiss our momma cheek as often as possible. My mom is 88, and still very active.
I just turned 69 yesterday, we have had a great life together.
I am the first of 6.
Great work on the rifle. I like your patchbox job.
Best regards, my brother.
Dave  F  8) 8)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2021, 10:27:23 PM »
Well....it's been another couple of months since i worked on this little rifle.  I have had the time, but not the inspiration.  I suppose it is the gunmaker's equivalent of "writers block".....when you know you want to do something but your not quite sure where to begin.  I did not know what I wanted to carve on this small rifle...or what i want to engrave.  So I have waited until the spirit moved me.

After many sketches (and subsequent erasures) on the stock, I came up with a theme I have used before, modified some for the reduced scale of this rifle......The start of the carving....

The execution thus far....not complete but well on the way.  Good or bad, I'm committed now (.....or perhaps I should be "committed")

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2021, 10:39:45 PM »
Special stuff, davec2. :o ;D ;D ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2021, 11:01:41 PM »
Dave,
Glad to see you’re back at it.  I’ve hit those dry spells myself a number of times.
Current progress is looking good.

Good luck on the rest of it,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2021, 11:13:20 PM »
As usual it looks great.  :) I really like your patch box latch spring set up.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2021, 03:24:28 AM »
Thank you !

Smylee, yes, that particular patch box latch arrangement has become my "go to" design.  Easy to do.  Can be set up so the release button is in the butt plate return or in the toe plate. I do the circular inlet under the butt plate with a Forstner bit.  Takes 30 seconds.  Parts are easy to make and, if the latch gets hung up in some way, simply removing the two butt plate screws gets you into the mechanism to fix whatever the problem is.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline acorn20

« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2021, 04:15:13 AM »
Your scrollwork and tang carving are beautiful Dave.  Dang shame you couldn't find a decent piece of wood to work with. ;)
Dan Akers

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2021, 09:34:13 AM »
I received an email asking me how this little rifle compared to a full size rifle.  Here is one of my rifles with a 42 inch barrel compared to this rifle.......

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: A Tale of Two Little Rifles - Size comparison to a full size rifle
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2021, 01:45:35 AM »
Dave, I always enjoy looking at your work.  Extremely crisp edges, elegant lines.  One might think you had done this once or twice before, even.

No one gets out of life alive is my standard reply to people who go the gym almost religiously, or who live their life in fear of one thing or another.  I consider myself lucky to have lived to 76.  I recall that at the age of six, sitting for breakfast and reading the date on the newspaper.  I commented to my Dad that I would be 55 at the turn of the century.  He replied that, yes, I would be.  And I returned with, "That doesn't matter, I'm not going to live that long anyway."

And having two open heart surgeries, the first the day before Kennedy was shot, I AM totally surprised I have lived this long.  A new adventure every year or so has really kept me young.

Back to your work - you do inspire me, and many others, to emulate your style and comprehension of lines.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2021, 02:47:25 AM »
Just keeps getting better.  That is a smart patchbox latch design.  Your carving is crisp and clean as usual.....as well as artistic.  You never cease to amaze.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2021, 03:07:53 AM »
Craig,

I took the oath of office as a Midshipman in the Navy on the 6th of July, 1972 in Tecumseh Court at the US Naval Academy.  As I did, I had a premonition that I would not live to the age of 29.  The thought stuck with me and almost came true on several occasions as I served in various locations around the world.  But however it happened, the premonition did not come true.  I can honestly say that I never had any fear.  I have been convinced since my early youth that I would never live one minute longer or one minute less than God intends for me to live...no matter what I did.  And that faith has always eliminated any fear of death.  As the poet Macaulay said,

“Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods”

Off topic here, but I understand what you sent....about being lucky and / or blessed...and about new adventures..... ;)

Merry Christmas !

And thanks, Marc....you are kind.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 08:44:49 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2021, 01:38:32 PM »
 Beautifully done.

Tim

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2021, 04:17:24 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to photo and document this.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline pilot

« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2021, 06:52:09 PM »
You make a great teacher, Dave.  I'm learning a lot reading your posts.  Thank you for taking the time.