Author Topic: Sotheby's Auction  (Read 3510 times)

Offline VP

Re: Sotheby's Auction
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2022, 12:40:48 AM »
I have done some research work on Nicholas Beyer. By far, one of the hardest to research in that very little information exits about him. I know he was  born on July 10th, 1777 if you believe John Humphrey's book on Pennsylvania Births. He was the son of Michael Beyer, a wealthy man, who died when Nicholas was 11 years old. Nicholas was released by his guardianship in 1792 at fourteen years old and received money from his father's estate in 1793.  Nicholas's grandfather was Benedict Imhoff, an early Womelsdorf gunsmith/doctor. Nicholas should have been of age in 1798 and does show up on the Lebanon tax rolls in 1800 thru 1811 as a gunsmith. His shop was next door to J.P. Beck and he also bought Beck's shop, according to an indenture in Lebanon Co HS, upon Beck's death. Once Lebanon became a county all records disappear. He is only listed in the 1830 and 1850 Federal Census. He didn't marry any of J.P. Beck's daughters since they are all accounted for in their marriage. I couldn't tell you if he ever married and had children as the 1830 only lists a Nicholas Boyer with one male besides himself and no females. He doesn't show in the remaining ceunsus for that area. His rifles show he used Beck's hardware which wouldn't be unusual living next door to the supply. It seems hard to believe that JP Beck would let an apprentice, which it seems he was,  move next door and work unless they were working together. I am not sure how to explain the difference in styles if they were working together. Just my thoughts.

VP

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2022, 01:44:44 AM »
Dick - I agree, there are many pieces that would appear to be collaborative. This example is one of the finest specimens of both Smiths work - a barn burner if I may quote you.

VP - Great information, the info regarding his father is new to me. My take is that he was a machine - excellent craftsman and it's apparent in his early works and the volume of work that remains in existence. That said, his business and finance abilities do not appear to match his skills as a craftsman. This is something I've seen all too often in the trades, and this mans story appears to have the same hallmarks.

Just my 2 cents.

Buck

Offline rlm

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2022, 06:58:47 PM »
VP the prices you quoted are correct however they do include all additional buyer charges. Also for those interested, the John Rupp rifle that has been discussed at length on this forum sold for $60,480 including all buyers charges
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 10:29:08 PM by rlm »

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2023, 05:41:33 AM »
In relation to the Beyer Beck connection:

Wild goose chase but in Sept. 27,1740. Ship the Lydia interestingly has a Nicklas Beyer and a Johan Jacob Beck on the same ship. 

JP Becks father Johan Christian Heinrich Beck came over on the ship the Dragon Sept.26, 1749.  9 years later, 

Both  the above ships left from Rotterdam to Philadelphia. Its not uncommon for relatives to embark at a later time. Researching Beyer's ancestry, as well as Johan Christian Heinrich Beck's could lead to some interesting information .

FYI the Becks were Lutheran in their religion.

One of these days I need to get to Germany to pull some church records.